1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keto and BS question

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Nikkipants, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Nikkipants

Nikkipants Type 2 · Member

Hello!
    Just wondering how long your BS will stay high after you eat something you shouldn't have. (Read: like ice cream or something) will it be messed up for a couple of days?

Also, I've read that keto is really bad for T2 diabetics, but then other people follow it. What say you lot?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Unfortunately, there;s no simple answer! It will depend on what food and how much of it you've eaten, .and how you personally respond to it. Other food eaten in conjunction may also affect what goes on, and any medication you may be taking can possibly affect results too. The best way to find out is to use a glucose meter and test to find out. But foods such as ice cream which are high in both sugar/carbs and fats are definitely not an ideal combination for us

Just where did you read that?

It's high carbohydrate foods that raise glucose levels, .so in general, ketogenic and low carbohydrate styles of eating are ideal for T2 diabetics and have been used for a couple of hundred years to treat diabetes. Have a look round the forum and see for yourself how well they work (and what additional health benefits they often have) for many of us - both T2 and T1.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there!

It’s a great tool for resolving a lot of the metabolic issues that develop T2 in the first place in my eyes. If they talk of insulin resistance with a Keto diet it’s usually physiological and not pathological like the precursor to diabetes is and is adaptive glucose sparing. With how well it controls a lot of this condition I would say it is one of the best diets to go on at least as a trial.

Like the lovely @Robbity said it’s all individualistic when it comes to how we handle things like being naughty with food. Always test and make sure that it stays just a treat, usually it is the 2 hour mark that dictates a lot about how we can handle these things.

4. Nikkipants

Nikkipants Type 2 · Member

Thanks!
    I don't remember where I read that, but I've seen it in multiple places, then I am peeking around on the forums and see that s number of people have had great results! awesome! I want drastic changes, so I'm willing to try anything.

5. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good to keep an open mind and do your own research. Perhaps just start with carbs reduction...works well enough for some of us...

Recommended since 2008...
    https://nutritionandmetabolism.biom...3qh0ie9L1Bp5dJJ46a5ILOu-Svzpo5pI-8YPC5DVEEY0g

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Do your research. It would be wise to understand what ketosis is before jumping in and making 'drastic' changes. A Keto lifestyle isn't for everyone and as has been said a diet in fewer carbs first (LCHF) would be better imo.

For starters see the videos on YouTube by Dr. Sarah Hall on keto. Your decisions must be made with your lifestyle and your medications in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with keto, and have kept my HbA1c firmly in the non-diabetic range with it. It's not for everyone though, as it does mean giving up a lot. Just read up on it over on dietdoctor.com, maybe watch some Eric Berg youtube video's about it... Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code goes into it too. Just be sure you know what you're doing before you start it, as medication like gliclazide can make you hypo, and if you don't get the ratio's right you can get deficient in a bunch of things. So don't just jump in with both feet.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook