Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Marie2 - don't make me think about the filing heap! Mine at the office is horrendous but I have everything scanned in on the computer - or available in the cloud - so I don't need the paper. Sadly, boss is old school and just lurves his bits of paper. But I don't get time to do the filing and work, so I tell him its his choice; shall I do what I'm trained for, or do you want to pay me my salary for filing? I can tell he wants to say "Both" but hasn't really got the stones lol

Reactions: Marie 2

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Robinredbreast - very lively start to the day there!

I'm just grateful it's Sunday and not Monday -and I'm hoping this dull, overcast weather moves on. Mind you, it's nice that it's a bit cooler.

I don't have much planned other than a bit of cooking. I'd like to get on with my current stitching, mainly so I can move on. I put this project sideways for a few weeks and I'm always bad at picking up again. Problem is it's the second of two in a mini-series, and I already have the frames so I have to finish. And I'm over half way through. (Can you hear me forcing myself back to my stitching frame?)
Is it cross stitch? I’m not into stitching and needlework etc - in fact I was so bad at needlework in school (yes I am that old!!!) that my end of year report suggested I gave it up - never have I been so relieved to receive a bad mark!
I’ll be ‘home alone’ for most of the day as hubby is off to a local steam fair with his two brothers although it’s his birthday on Tuesday so will need to go and get a card and pressie!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yeah - this set is cross stitch. I do that and needlepoint and like them both. I use cross stitch for fine work and celebratory cards etc but needlepoint is for cushions, rugs and pieces I fall in love with the idea of doing. I got a gorgeous abstract guitar piece from Bba Yaga Art, it was very painstaking work but my son - the guitarist - loves it and it's been hanging in his home ever since.

I loved that studio, but their website has gone now so it's as well I bought their Tree of Life canvas and put it by for when I feel ready. Hugely detailed work in that piece and will take a lot of careful thinking about and planning.

Also, look here: work from Not your Grandmother's Needlepoint -

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/29906785000485041/?lp=true

Some absolutely gorgeous modern work!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Had to stop reading my book, as Pebbles cat just threw up on the kitchen floor, bless :cat::rolleyes:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Had to stop reading my book, as Pebbles cat just threw up on the kitchen floor, bless :cat::rolleyes:

Trust it's not carpet? Or it's got that scotchgard stuff if it is.... We ended up with vinyl simply because of muddy paws. Eight paws makes a LOT of mud and down here it's red because of the iron in the soil. Y

You can use the soil itself as an ochre paint, and it's fun. We did that for home done cave painting - you know, hold a hand flat against a wall, then blow paint on and around it. You end up with a good silhouette of a handprint, just like the cave art. My son and I did it as a project when he was little - we got the soil, ground it down fine and mixed it with just enough water to give a paint liquid enough to put in a dish and blow on. Messy, but fun.

Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, Elvis gave me a safe landing in the wee hours and I’m at a (blood checked) 5.1 so I’m happy with that.

Managed to rip my pod off my leg last night at the Indian as we got up from the bar to go to our table, it was on the front of my leg and I caught it on the edge of the table as I stood up. Stung a bit... :cat:

Nice and grey and cool here, I’m planning on doing as little as possible, resting my stupid knee and doing some of my patchwork quilt.

Have a nice one, friends ❤️

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
good morning everyone nice lie in today first time in ages was at grandsons birthday party yesterday his parents had hired a party bus ...note to self at 50 odd years old dont go crawling through double decker soft play buses:arghh:enjoy whats left of the weekend everyone :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all, I really ought to be doing things but I’m loitering. Slightly low this morning, 2.9, so I think almost return to almost pre-Hamish walking means an almost return to pre-Hamish basal.
I mean to severely cut back an old lilac that’s developed a grass resting stoop. The lilacs were planted back in the 30s by the first owners - our first next door neighbour had photos of the old guy who bought the house sitting next to a young lilac stripling. I’ve cut them back and they’ve regenerated quite a few times now. Shame we don’t have the same ability. “Right m’dear, I’m just going to lop you off at the shins and you’ll grow young and fresh again in no time.”

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Morning all, I really ought to be doing things but I’m loitering. Slightly low this morning, 2.9, so I think almost return to almost pre-Hamish walking means an almost return to pre-Hamish basal.
I mean to severely cut back an old lilac that’s developed a grass resting stoop. The lilacs were planted back in the 30s by the first owners - our first next door neighbour had photos of the old guy who bought the house sitting next to a young lilac stripling. I’ve cut them back and they’ve regenerated quite a few times now. Shame we don’t have the same ability. “Right m’dear, I’m just going to lop you off at the shins and you’ll grow young and fresh again in no time.”
The lilacs sound gorgeous. I'm digging out a Virginia Creeper as it's taking up too much space and giving it to a friend with a very large garden. I have two climbing roses which I'm replacing in the space. Isn't 2.9 low? I'm terrified of 3.8.

Reactions: WuTwo and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The lilacs sound gorgeous. I'm digging out a Virginia Creeper as it's taking up too much space and giving it to a friend with a very large garden. I have two climbing roses which I'm replacing in the space. Isn't 2.9 low? I'm terrified of 3.8.

Yup, 2.9’s a tad low, but as long as I can correct it, and it doesn’t happen too often, it doesn’t bother me too much. It’s a sign that adjustments are probably required.
Love climbing roses, but not the thorns when pruning. The first owner also planted a lovely deep pink one that’s still clambering up and over a now defunct pear tree, which he also planted, and various other new self and me seeded trees and bushes. The old pear has a grand show of fungus. It’s not a big house or garden but it’s now crammed with stuff that grows tall - real escape into greenery.
Until very recently there was a splendid Virginia creeper on the back of the house that used to run by and under a bedroom window. Said window also has bird feeders attached, pure pleasure.
The other night there was a scuffling sound and I parted the curtains to meet eyes with the sweetest, healthiest, bright-eyed, intelligent looking young rat. So the next day the creeper was removed. Don’t want rats climbing into the bedroom but it was so cute I felt it could have been an interesting friend.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah - this set is cross stitch. I do that and needlepoint and like them both. I use cross stitch for fine work and celebratory cards etc but needlepoint is for cushions, rugs and pieces I fall in love with the idea of doing. I got a gorgeous abstract guitar piece from Bba Yaga Art, it was very painstaking work but my son - the guitarist - loves it and it's been hanging in his home ever since.

I loved that studio, but their website has gone now so it's as well I bought their Tree of Life canvas and put it by for when I feel ready. Hugely detailed work in that piece and will take a lot of careful thinking about and planning.

Also, look here: work from Not your Grandmother's Needlepoint -

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/29906785000485041/?lp=true

Some absolutely gorgeous modern work!

My sister does a lot of cross stitch but it’s never appealed to me. In fact she enjoys all sorts of crafts inc jewellery and card making - the gene must have slipped past me though!!!

Reactions: Knikki

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Party yesterday started with a 3.3 due to the misjudged drop from the bike ride with pretty strong wind. Easily solved with the following hypo treatment:
67112627_398955424083230_8002738916832575488_n.png

Not a clue how many carbs and alcohol but it worked a charm and needed 8 units of insulin despite being hypo :)

Party ended with this lovely view on my way back (and no hypo's as the wind now came from the right direction).
67153941_1602376309898500_9104031920949297152_n.png

Woke up to a 6.5 with a straightish Libre line through the 'night'.
I never go without my morning coffee but today it tasted vile so I'm halfway a big pot of tea now :meh:
Planned activity for today is possibly making a second pot of tea and at some point putting a plate of food in the microwave.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Here's a new toy to play with: pre-pre-bolusing.

My work hours are fairly flexible, I'll have 2 or 3u to pin anticipated foot-on-floor when getting up before getting to work about 9:30, then I slope off for lunch at about noon with a 20 min or so pre-bolus.

So I've got the pre-bolus starting to get to work, but I've also got the earlier 2 to 3u, which has dealt with the fof, and is past peak but still well active.

Was messing about with basal levels over the last few months, turned out 14u was far too low, so I'd be firing in 2u or so late afternoon to stop a rise about an hour or two before leaving for home and tea, which again involved a 20 min pre-bolus.

So, again, I've got the pre-bolus but also the 2u deep into its activity.

In these sort of situations, I'm really not seeing spikes at all.

Switch to Dana Lewis's book, Automated Insulin Delivery. She describes how the Eating Soon algo works. In a non-T1, glucose is absorbed by the small intestine, then goes through the liver before getting into the bloodstream, and most natural insulin goes straight to the liver as an instruction to store the glucose in the liver before it gets anywhere near blood, which is why muggles don't really get massive spikes, because their insulin goes to the liver whereas our injected insulin rarely does (although whether the HDV gig will change that remains to be seen).

Dana's theory is that if we pre-bolus an amount sufficiently far in advance of a meal, not just your usual 20 mins, but an hour or more, a small amount like 1 or 2u, not enough to send you into a rapid drop, then by the time you come to eat, it'll be heavily into it's active phase and some of it may have actually reached the liver, where the heavy spike buffering happens, so a much higher chance of not spiking.

I hesitate to disagree with Dana on the idea of it getting to the liver as she is very clued up, but agree absolutely on the idea of the importance of the stage of activity.

It does seem to work, the idea of layering or stacking insulin, a small amount quite far in advance of a meal, not enough to rapidly drop but hitting peak activity, along with a 20 min pre-bolus just starting activity.

As ever, YDMV, but I'm finding it really effective.

PS: the hdv gig is "hepatic directed vesicles", a few companies are playing with a compound which gets added to ordinary insulin and by some biological magic, it "taxis" the insulin straight to the liver instead of just randomly wandering around the body. The thinking is that cos 80% of natural insulin goes to the liver, so should injected insulin.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
I was 4.8 this morning and my dreams are so weird. It keeps starting back in secondary school, like how I am now and going back. Everyone who went to class with me had their 13-14 year old face on. According to my mum, apparently during that time period is where I remember the most things? I do miss school, but I find it strange we never had a reunion.
On the other hand, my moody self kicked my bf out of bed last night, :rolleyes:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I agree - my great grandad had a motto "Do something every day, that you don't do every day". Which, when you think about it, is very good advice for keeping life interesting..