New Here

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there I have recently joined here and would like some input if anyone understands what is going on.
long story short.
I recently had a normal A1C However due to symptoms and concerns i test my own Blood sugar at home and I notice that my fasting level is between 6 and 7 most mornings. however, my blood sugar steadily rises throughout the day and rarely drops below 6 (when I eat proper meal times) but spends most of the day climbing and usually peaks around 8-10 by the time i go to bed. thanks, Galifrey.

edit- if i don't eat proper meal times my bs drops to mid to low 4s and i get lethatgic sleep and feely dizzy and shaking when i wake

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Galifrey
The HbA1c is an average so can miss peaks and troughs.
No one here can diagnose you with anything. Make another appointment and show your doctor your numbers for discussion.
HbA1c is the usual route for diagnosis.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Keep a log of your numbers to take into your doctors so you can show him. The more detailed the better. the morning, 2 and 3 hours after you eat and bedtime. My A1C was normal when my sugars first started to climb too, it slowly kept getting worse for me because I was a type 1. If you are a type 2 you might be able to stop it from climbing and getting worse.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And with your log of numbers record what it was before you ate, and what that food was, along with any symptoms. If it turns out that there is an issue you’ll have some valuable information about what might be causing the numbers and symptoms.

Reactions: Marie 2

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and do you know what the actual score on the hb1ac was as opposed to a subjective “normal”. Some drs have funny ideas what normal is.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A1C Result was 34.
That is very normal. You must be having lower figures than 6-7 somewhere for significant periods of the day. When are you actually testing in relation to meals? We tend to measure at about the 2hr point where we would hope it to be no more than 2mmol higher than before the meal. Pretty much all “normal” ie not specifically low carb meals will cause a rise after eating but in non diabetics fall again quickly.

What do you mean by normal meal times? You get these symptoms when hungry? Or after particular types of food eg starchy or carb heavy meals? In the 4’s isn’t a true hypo. It’s actually pretty typical for non diabetics. If people are used to higher levels it can mimic one but with an hb1ac like yours that isn’t likely to be the case.

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
it's all very confusing to me, I've seen on the odd occasion 12.0 and 12.5 too. but I've had symptoms for many many years even as a child the amount I drank people used to ask my mum if I was diabetic. now with testing at home, my blood sugar rises and is back within normal range after I sleep with the highest reading just before I sleep.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps if you give more details such as the ones I asked about we might be able to make suggestions

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
by proper meal times i mean breakfast lunch and dinner, if i dont eat breakfast/lucnch i get shaky and usually have a nap thats hard to fight and when i wake up arms and legs are a little numb and i feel like jelly.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you are testing when in relation to meals?

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes and morning and night, and if i wake up in the night sweating i usually get a reading for mid 7-8

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I have recently joined here and would like some input if anyone understands what is going on.
long story short.
I recently had a normal A1C However due to symptoms and concerns i test my own Blood sugar at home and I notice that my fasting level is between 6 and 7 most mornings. however, my blood sugar steadily rises throughout the day and rarely drops below 6 (when I eat proper meal times) but spends most of the day climbing and usually peaks around 8-10 by the time i go to bed. thanks, Galifrey.

edit- if i don't eat proper meal times my bs drops to mid to low 4s and i get lethatgic sleep and feely dizzy and shaking when i wake
Between not knowing what you're eating exactly (and I do mean exactly: how carby are your meals? What do you eat in a typical day?), and not knowing when you test after and before meals, there's not much we can say that's particularly useful to you. It is, however, obvious that something is going on, so.... It does merit looking into. Keep a food diary, make a curve one day (testing every hour or so, and around meals, before the meal and 2 hours after the first bite). Maybe that'll tell you more than untimed tests. Reactive Hypoglycemia could be the culprit, but you wouldn't see that in a HbA1c test. (That'd require an extended OGTT). What you need right now is a LOT more information than you've got right now. So... Time your tests properly, take a day for it, and write down everything you eat and drink and when. If those results are off, (and though we can't diagnose, we can tell you whether something's odd) you can take them to the GP and ask for an extended OGTT... Or anything else. If your numbers are fine it could be just about anything, from a wonky thyroid to vitamin d deficiency. But it's a starting point.

Good luck,
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes and morning and night, and if i wake up in the night sweating i usually get a reading for mid 7-8
HSSS meant, when exactly are you testing around your meals? Do you test right before you start eating and 2 hours after the first bite? Because if you're not, it's kind of random and not very useful. Doesn't tell us anything.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Between not knowing what you're eating exactly (and I do mean exactly: how carby are your meals? What do you eat in a typical day?), and not knowing when you test after and before meals, there's not much we can say that's particularly useful to you. It is, however, obvious that something is going on, so.... It does merit looking into. Keep a food diary, make a curve one day (testing every hour or so, and around meals, before the meal and 2 hours after the first bite). Maybe that'll tell you more than untimed tests. Reactive Hypoglycemia could be the culprit, but you wouldn't see that in a HbA1c test. (That'd require an extended OGTT). What you need right now is a LOT more information than you've got right now. So... Time your tests properly, take a day for it, and write down everything you eat and drink and when. If those results are off, (and though we can't diagnose, we can tell you whether something's odd) you can take them to the GP and ask for an extended OGTT... Or anything else. If your numbers are fine it could be just about anything, from a wonky thyroid to vitamin d deficiency. But it's a starting point.

Good luck,
Jo
Thanks jo. I was wondering about rh but without more detailed info can’t say much about any of it.

@Galifrey we need numbers and details
How long before a meal do you test? How long after? 10 mins after eating will give very different numbers to 2hrs after or 4hrs after.
What that meal was will are a big difference to potential causes too if it’s related to blood sugars.

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thank you thyroid is fine I also had this checked, I usually eat cereal in the morning, egg and toast or a sandwich for lunch then dinner usually meat-based.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And...when in relation to those meals do you test...........

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Galifrey, you really need to give people more details than you are, as its a guessing game.

What you need to do: do a fasting test when you get up, then when you have breakfast (write down your food and fluid intake )from the first bite test 2 hours later. Do this through the day. Plus test before bed. Do this for a few days.

At the moment you're not checking

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
morning/ evening and 1hr and 2 hrs mark after eating.