Prediabetes and pregabelin

Martino

Hi
To my surprise I was recently told by my doc that I am prediabetic. I am not overweight and have a fat free diet. I exercise every day. I do have peripheral neuropathy and take Pregabelin. Is there any evidence that this might cause raised blood sugar levels. I ask because at the moment I don’t know why I have got into the prediabetic range nor do I know how I can avoid passing on to diabetes. I should add that I smoke a pipe

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Low fat will have no effect on your glucose levels - fat is part of a totally separate system, it is an ideal fuel for those who have glucose impairment.
I suggest that you tot up your carbohydrate intake and see just how much sugar and starch you are eating on a daily basis. Being prediabetic now doesn't mean that you will progress to being fully diabetic, but acting now to alter things is probably essential.
I found that getting a glucose meter and supply of test strips helped a lot to reveal just how my blood glucose levels changed after eating various foods.

Martino

Thanks very much. I am unsure how to calculate the carbs and sugar intake. I would be very grateful if you would let me know how to do this and also what the recommended intake figures are. I am very keen on trying not to move to diabetes and will try anything that will help. Which of the glucose meters around are considered the most reliable?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much. I am unsure how to calculate the carbs and sugar intake. I would be very grateful if you would let me know how to do this and also what the recommended intake figures are. I am very keen on trying not to move to diabetes and will try anything that will help. Which of the glucose meters around are considered the most reliable?
You could calculate this by looking at the carbs and cals app and just keeping a diary for 3 days. How much carbs/sugar (they are all glucose in your blood btw) anyone can tolerate before they run into metabolic problems is highly individual and a significant proportion of diabetics type 2s are not overweight with the converse also being true.
https://www.carbsandcals.com/app/app
There is plenty of good guidance on this site plus sites like Diet Doctor that advocate a high fat low carb approach aimed at keeping insulin levels low which will in turn reverse the insulin resistance that is likely making your blood sugars abnormal.