1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prediabetes and pregabelin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Martino, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Martino

Martino · Member

Hi
    To my surprise I was recently told by my doc that I am prediabetic. I am not overweight and have a fat free diet. I exercise every day. I do have peripheral neuropathy and take Pregabelin. Is there any evidence that this might cause raised blood sugar levels. I ask because at the moment I don’t know why I have got into the prediabetic range nor do I know how I can avoid passing on to diabetes. I should add that I smoke a pipe

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

You might try ditching the fat free approach for a while and go low carb. Has worked for many here.

4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Low fat will have no effect on your glucose levels - fat is part of a totally separate system, it is an ideal fuel for those who have glucose impairment.
    I suggest that you tot up your carbohydrate intake and see just how much sugar and starch you are eating on a daily basis. Being prediabetic now doesn't mean that you will progress to being fully diabetic, but acting now to alter things is probably essential.
    I found that getting a glucose meter and supply of test strips helped a lot to reveal just how my blood glucose levels changed after eating various foods.

5. Martino

Martino · Member

Thanks very much. I am unsure how to calculate the carbs and sugar intake. I would be very grateful if you would let me know how to do this and also what the recommended intake figures are. I am very keen on trying not to move to diabetes and will try anything that will help. Which of the glucose meters around are considered the most reliable?

6. Martino

Martino · Member

Thanks. I will give this a try

7. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You could calculate this by looking at the carbs and cals app and just keeping a diary for 3 days. How much carbs/sugar (they are all glucose in your blood btw) anyone can tolerate before they run into metabolic problems is highly individual and a significant proportion of diabetics type 2s are not overweight with the converse also being true.
    https://www.carbsandcals.com/app/app
    There is plenty of good guidance on this site plus sites like Diet Doctor that advocate a high fat low carb approach aimed at keeping insulin levels low which will in turn reverse the insulin resistance that is likely making your blood sugars abnormal.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook