Approved Nutrition research study for people with T2D

annacher

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
At the Nutrition Section of the Department of Medicine at Imperial College London, we are investigating the effect of different types of dietary protein and fibre on blood sugar levels and appetite.

What are we looking for? We are looking for South Asian and European adults with Type 2 Diabetes who are not taking insulin.

What will you have to do? Eligible participants will be asked to attend up to 6 separate day visits for approximately 5 hours at Hammersmith Hospital in London, during which they will be asked to consume a meal, and have blood samples taken from a cannula to assess blood sugar and insulin. At the end of the study visit a buffet meal will be served to assess food intake.

What do you get in return? Participants will be reimbursed for their time. Also, travel expenses are covered. A diploma of participation at Imperial College London will be issued to participants.

If interested and would like more information or to apply, please send me a private message and I will be more than happy to help. Thank you!

Reactions: RobyJaxx and Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bump for the evening traffic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will this be good that deliberately increases our sugars?

I don't understand what you're asking?

If your query is about the study, then why not PM @annacher . She'd be able to answer any questions you have.

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted member 308541

That's the whole idea of the experiment study, I would like to have a crack at it but I live in the wrong country to be a lab rat.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I'd be happy to participate too, even with a couple of higher bg's, but both wrong country and wrong type.

Reactions: Freema

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Looks almost too good to be true!
Monitoring of BG and insulin levels in real time must give a really good insight into insulin levels, response, and insulin resistance.
Cheaper than privately funded IR tests, for sure.
@bulkbiker for one who might also be interested.

Reactions: jjraak

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d love to but there’s no way they are going to feed us low carb, carnivore based meals and they can provide a buffet laden with a carb addicts dream but loads of us now have the knowledge and power to choose to avoid that food, even if we craved it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I’d love to but there’s no way they are going to feed us low carb, carnivore based meals and they can provide a buffet laden with a carb addicts dream but loads of us now have the knowledge and power to choose to avoid that food, even if we craved it.

I'm not sure your assumptions are correct.
I read it as testing the response to protein and fibre.
I've asked for the details, so we shall see.

I did wonder what the effect of refusing anything from the buffet would have on the results!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah!
Yes, too good to be true with regards to seeing your insulin profile.
Results will be anonymised and aggregated so I can only see the results of the initial screening which will be sent to my GP.
Still worth doing, though.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The meals will be chicken and fake animal protein with bread and potatoes.

No good for T2’s, especially those of us that haven’t eaten that stuff for years.

I forgot to ask if they were using PUFAs too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they understand that it is not exactly a good idea for type twos to consume high carb foods - or do they think it doesn't matter if it for research?
Maybe I will ask.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if they understand that it is not exactly a good idea for type twos to consume high carb foods - or do they think it doesn't matter if it for research?
Maybe I will ask.

The only difference in the meals given are three different types of protein, one animal, two fake (mycoprotein being one of them). I have a feeling they are trying to support the current recommendation of eating a plant based diet by observing what people eat from the buffet after consuming the meals, ignoring the elephant in the room; the carbs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those interested, but discount the study because of their own ideas, I'd urge you to contact the OP for more information.

To be clear; I have no insight into the regime and conditions of the test, but in the past, in my life, that old phrase, something like, "assume made asses of you and me".

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those interested, but discount the study because of their own ideas, I'd urge you to contact the OP for more information.

To be clear; I have no insight into the regime and conditions of the test, but in the past, in my life, that old phrase, something like, "assume made asses of you and me".

I already have! I’ve also written in a manner that makes it clear I don’t know exactly what it is they are trying to achieve but with all the info I now have, my ‘feeling’ is not far off the mark.

Reactions: jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already have! I’ve also written in a manner that makes it clear I don’t know exactly what it is they are trying to achieve but with all the info I now have, my ‘feeling’ is not far off the mark.

Thanks for sharing. :)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone interested this is registered on the UK clinical trials database (https://clinicaltrials.gov), details of the study can be found here if you search for the unique reference (google will find it)
NCT03949582
All clinical trials have to be registered, if you are interested in clinical trials in diabetes this is good resource.
CoP

Diabetesdave1

At the Nutrition Section of the Department of Medicine at Imperial College London, we are investigating the effect of different types of dietary protein and fibre on blood sugar levels and appetite.

What are we looking for? We are looking for South Asian and European adults with Type 2 Diabetes who are not taking insulin.

What will you have to do? Eligible participants will be asked to attend up to 6 separate day visits for approximately 5 hours at Hammersmith Hospital in London, during which they will be asked to consume a meal, and have blood samples taken from a cannula to assess blood sugar and insulin. At the end of the study visit a buffet meal will be served to assess food intake.

What do you get in return? Participants will be reimbursed for their time. Also, travel expenses are covered. A diploma of participation at Imperial College London will be issued to participants.

If interested and would like more information or to apply, please send me a private message and I will be more than happy to help. Thank you!

Hi iv sent my [email deleted to protect member privacy] can you send us more information please
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Qualified to participate but for the race and country of abode.