Deep Dish Quiche - Vegan

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
This recipe works! By all means use your own pastry (I did), or add veggies your family loves/leave out what you hate but - and this is a huge but - you MUST use the chickpea flour (aka gram flour). Unless you do this you won't get an egg substitute batter.

One other idea is to make it as a pastry-free frittata - I love those. In other words, just the innards. Watch the timing carefully in the oven (test a little more frequently with the skewer) but I've often done quiches this way. Or - one of our favourites - use filo pastry and line muffin trays with it to make individual quiches (or individual frittatas - terrific picnic food!)

http://www.theveganhousehold.com/mains/the-gourmet-vegan-cant-tell-the-difference-quiche/

You'll see it uses roast cauli - I love that idea. Particularly roasted with garlic salt/powder sprinkled on it.

Reactions: dms1 and Prem51

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I made this for our meal tonight. We've had it before and loved it then, but it's good to know it works each time, if you see what I mean. My husband is flexi, not vegan, and he says it was gorgeous. One recipe makes four ample servings, and the chickpea flour really does do a fantastic job for the batter. I add kala namak and it makes a definite difference to the flavour of the batter. Warning - do not add salt to the batter if you add kala namak - you don't need it.

The recipe sounds as if it could be quite complex but actually it's a doddle because you just follow the stages she set out and it flows along nicely.

We're having the other half for tomorrow's meal and I'm

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Making this again today but cheating and using bought pastry. Life's too short.....

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds really good! Yea, I would skip the pastry or get store bought lol, I am not into making pastry, even when I did a ton of cooking, I wasn't into making pastry very often! Probably skip the shell!

There was one recipe I used to have to make pastry for and it called for making little fold over tarts with a asparagus, mushroom and mustard sauce stuffing, I haven't made those for years and would have to wing it if I tried to again. But that would mean pastry making and it's not going to happen! Hmm, although you can buy little vegan pastry squares nowadays.

But I remember I used to love quiche...............I think I had barely had it for the first few times and then I stopped eating eggs!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Jus-rol is vegan - it's a nice shortcrust pastry, and filo is great for people who don't want much crust. I worked it out that a maximum of three sheets layered on top of each other (brush each with melted buttery substitute) works well as a "holder" for things in deep muffin trays. I don't know anyone who's made filo - far too much hassle.

I like making pastry but not in this weather - too hot for it. Much easier to buy it, or skip it altogether.

If you can recall your flapover recipe, do post it! Sounds tasty.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looked at the recipe and will definitely have a go at making it and will probably use ready made filo pastry I love trying vegetarian and vegan foods makes a change from chicken the only meat I usually eat

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We love this one - it comes out really tasty!

D

Deleted Account

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Oh by the way - I entered the full recipe into Nutracheck and it spat out the values at me in UK terms. I said that the full recipe served four. It returned the values for one portion.

One portion is 500 calories, 54g carb, 14g protein and 5.3g fibre.

If you're US based remember that UK food values separate out carbs and fibre, so what we say is carbs needs to be accounted for with insulin in full. There's no fibre to deduct.

If you made it without the pastry, or left the pastry on the plate, reduce the values accordingly. By about 25g.

If you're T1, it's not a problem, if you're not - it may well be enoough of a problem to make it impossible to cook. I ate the pastry but I reduced lunch carbs accordingly so my day's total was still only 120g.

Last edited: