1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Deep Dish Quiche - Vegan

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by WuTwo, Jun 8, 2019.

1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This recipe works! By all means use your own pastry (I did), or add veggies your family loves/leave out what you hate but - and this is a huge but - you MUST use the chickpea flour (aka gram flour). Unless you do this you won't get an egg substitute batter.

One other idea is to make it as a pastry-free frittata - I love those. In other words, just the innards. Watch the timing carefully in the oven (test a little more frequently with the skewer) but I've often done quiches this way. Or - one of our favourites - use filo pastry and line muffin trays with it to make individual quiches (or individual frittatas - terrific picnic food!)

http://www.theveganhousehold.com/mains/the-gourmet-vegan-cant-tell-the-difference-quiche/

You'll see it uses roast cauli - I love that idea. Particularly roasted with garlic salt/powder sprinkled on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WuTwo

I made this for our meal tonight. We've had it before and loved it then, but it's good to know it works each time, if you see what I mean. My husband is flexi, not vegan, and he says it was gorgeous. One recipe makes four ample servings, and the chickpea flour really does do a fantastic job for the batter. I add kala namak and it makes a definite difference to the flavour of the batter. Warning - do not add salt to the batter if you add kala namak - you don't need it.

The recipe sounds as if it could be quite complex but actually it's a doddle because you just follow the stages she set out and it flows along nicely.

We're having the other half for tomorrow's meal and I'm

• Like Like x 1
  3. WuTwo

Making this again today but cheating and using bought pastry. Life's too short.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Sounds really good! Yea, I would skip the pastry or get store bought lol, I am not into making pastry, even when I did a ton of cooking, I wasn't into making pastry very often! Probably skip the shell!

There was one recipe I used to have to make pastry for and it called for making little fold over tarts with a asparagus, mushroom and mustard sauce stuffing, I haven't made those for years and would have to wing it if I tried to again. But that would mean pastry making and it's not going to happen! Hmm, although you can buy little vegan pastry squares nowadays.

But I remember I used to love quiche...............I think I had barely had it for the first few times and then I stopped eating eggs!

5. WuTwo

Jus-rol is vegan - it's a nice shortcrust pastry, and filo is great for people who don't want much crust. I worked it out that a maximum of three sheets layered on top of each other (brush each with melted buttery substitute) works well as a "holder" for things in deep muffin trays. I don't know anyone who's made filo - far too much hassle.

I like making pastry but not in this weather - too hot for it. Much easier to buy it, or skip it altogether.

If you can recall your flapover recipe, do post it! Sounds tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Looked at the recipe and will definitely have a go at making it and will probably use ready made filo pastry I love trying vegetarian and vegan foods makes a change from chicken the only meat I usually eat

• Like Like x 2
  7. WuTwo

We love this one - it comes out really tasty!

• Like Like x 1
  8. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Have you tried making the base with a couple of tortilla wraps?
    It has a different texture to pastry but much easier and looks pretty.
    This recipe gives an idea ... https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/elenas-cheeky-tortilla-quiche.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My daughter does that when she makes pizza or quiche but it has never worked very well for me it always breaks up so I normally make a crustless quiche

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. WuTwo

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I do love whole wheat baked tortillas for pizza st home!

It sounds like a great plan for the quiche.
    Thanks @helensaramay

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. WuTwo

Oh by the way - I entered the full recipe into Nutracheck and it spat out the values at me in UK terms. I said that the full recipe served four. It returned the values for one portion.

One portion is 500 calories, 54g carb, 14g protein and 5.3g fibre.

If you're US based remember that UK food values separate out carbs and fibre, so what we say is carbs needs to be accounted for with insulin in full. There's no fibre to deduct.

If you made it without the pastry, or left the pastry on the plate, reduce the values accordingly. By about 25g.

If you're T1, it's not a problem, if you're not - it may well be enoough of a problem to make it impossible to cook. I ate the pastry but I reduced lunch carbs accordingly so my day's total was still only 120g.

#12 WuTwo, Jul 25, 2019 at 6:08 PM
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook