Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think my Hood’s turned into a den of iniquity overnight - another copter, think it’s probably a police one, has been hovering and moving in close range for the last three quarters of an hour. Maybe last night’s was a police one too.
It’s just gone, phew.
It seems that sensors are all different, if only by a small margin. There’s always a short getting to know you period and a mental readjustment to accommodate the new one’s personality.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Managed lunch a whole lot better than yesterday, for no apparent reason. The highlight of my day has been my puppy tipping the iron over so it 'dominoed' (I love making up verbs) down the stairs so she could race it and win. Of course, puppies shouldn't be allowed on the stairs. Apparently, she has other ideas. Says a lot about my day.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I remember Dizzy's look of absolute triumph the day he was big enough to climb up the stairs all on his own! He was so very proud of himself :) Tutti kind of took it for granted that we would carry her up and down like Lady Muck until the day she deigned to race up them so she could have the pleasure of tripping us up at the top.....

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love making up verbs
calvin-verbed.jpg

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I remember Dizzy's look of absolute triumph the day he was big enough to climb up the stairs all on his own! He was so very proud of himself :) Tutti kind of took it for granted that we would carry her up and down like Lady Muck until the day she deigned to race up them so she could have the pleasure of tripping us up at the top.....
I call them the Queens of Sheba with all of this stair carrying malarkey. The Queen of Sheba, like them, was reported to have hairy legs.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just discovered it was a police copter last night and today, they’re searching for someone who refused to stop when asked. Don’t know why they wanted him to stop and be questioned. Not one of my gang or family.

Reactions: ert, WuTwo and slip

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My eyes ache from working all day on the computer. My bum aches from sitting down too. Madam decided to drop to 3.8 and then swooped to a huge 8.3 after a couple of Cheddars to sort it, then 2hrs later 4.8
What is it with Madam? Anthropomorphism from me!! Get the feeling everyone else is dealing with their condition so much better

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My eyes ache from working all day on the computer. My bum aches from sitting down too. Madam decided to drop to 3.8 and then swooped to a huge 8.3 after a couple of Cheddars to sort it, then 2hrs later 4.8
What is it with Madam? Anthropomorphism from me!! Get the feeling everyone else is dealing with their condition so much better

Believe me I’m not. You’ve given yourself a tight target and T1 being a flighty, capricious beast, it’s hard to tame. Mel uses amazing tech and even she has sometimes told us that she’s out of range. Don’t be hard on yourself.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
I took the recycles out today. 3 weeks ago one of our recycling bags went missing, I put 3 out and got 2 back. I assumed someone must have accidentally took the bag. My bf and I decided to wait for that "nice" neighbour to return it to us, because you can't miss it - our door number is written on top of the bags. Lo and behold, I went out to collect our 2 bags in case it went missing again and I found our 3rd bag tucked into another neighbours box. How can someone use our bag for 3 weeks and not realise that "oh it's not our bag"?
Anyway, I'm glad it's a lot cooler today, bg sitting nicely at 5.5. :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Who's everyone? you can't possibly be managing your T1D worse than everyone else. On a bell chart you would probably comfortably be in the well controlled group. Not many people even achieve the NICE HBA1c target.

Reactions: MeiChanski

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@SueJB you're doing amazingly. Seriously. Way better than I was for about, ooh, 18 years. It’s only since I got my Libre that I’ve got to grips with my T1. And the other tech has just made it better. But even with my loop system, I’m still going out of range sometimes, it’s hard work being a pancreas, and you’re doing fantastically at it.

Just got back off call, had one shout to a lady in a day centre. Spent a pleasant hour or so in their sensory room being fed ice cold water and taking care of her until the crew arrived. Lots of fans, very cool :)

Bought a bottle of Aber Falls orange marmalade gin in Asda after logging off, celebrating my final teaching paycheque before starting my course.

One of the EMTs at the ambo station said that under the Equalities Act, they don’t expect T1s to work nights. That could be a winner, although I’m happy to give it a go...

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @SueJB dont be too hard on yourself. Your figures generally seem pretty decent

With having the Libre for about a year and my pump for 6 months my control has improved dramatically over past year. However on a regular basis I still have readings above 10, mainly spikes after breakfast. If I have a curry, my overnight BG always seem to hit 12 + no matter how much insulin I take and dual bolus for

My Libre is showing me as having an average BG of 8.1 for last 90 days. To many o here that will be high but I am guessing that this will have been around 10 + over the previous number of years.

My Hba1C about 15 months ago was 69. I recently downloaded my Libre data and this is giving me a predicted Hba1C of 51, so an improvement of about 20%, which I am over the moon about. Yes there is room for improvement but baby steps.

I think as I was always high for most of my 37 +years, I am happy and feel OK with a BG of 7, that is my happy place. When I drop to a BG of around 4, in the past I would panic, if I was outside I would freak out with such a low BG. Getting to handle it a bit better now

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

3.8, 8.3? You're barely trying :)

I mentioned the other day that I set off for a bike ride at over 15. Finished the ride at 4.5, so I say I got that just about right.
The day after I didn't eat enough early enough before setting off, and was below 3 while on a run. That turned into a sit then walk for a while...

Last night it chose to misbehave and run at 11 all night - recently it's been dropping, but not last night.

And despite all these theoretically terrible things, I think I'm actually doing pretty well. HbA1c is pretty good, it's not swinging about massively uncontrolledly (despite the fact I get highs and lows), so if you're doing better than that, I don't think there's anything to worry about :)

(When I was first diagnosed, the doctor gave me the meter and told me not to put too much store into what it said, the results were basically random. Now I've always considered that that wasn't a terribly helpful thing to say, and I did take notice of the results and treated appropriately, but I do wonder if he was trying to encourage me to not be obsessive about it, not knowing that I'm too lazy to be obsessive)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB . You’re doing brilliantly. Not because of how you compare along side others but because you are getting up every morning, posting on here, living your life and posting some impressive numbers:)
We all have T1 but T1 is unique to us as individuals. Don’t ever judge your control alongside others, it’s pointless and serves no purpose.
Having targets we want to achieve is great for control but if it becomes obsessive it can do more harm than good.

Reactions: becca59 and smc4761

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Believe me I’m not. You’ve given yourself a tight target and T1 being a flighty, capricious beast, it’s hard to tame. Mel uses amazing tech and even she has sometimes told us that she’s out of range. Don’t be hard on yourself.
@Fairygodmother Thanks, after only 2years, I'm just beginning to realise it's relentless and hard. I manage with tech but so admire @Mel dCP

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB you're doing amazingly. Seriously. Way better than I was for about, ooh, 18 years. It’s only since I got my Libre that I’ve got to grips with my T1. And the other tech has just made it better. But even with my loop system, I’m still going out of range sometimes, it’s hard work being a pancreas, and you’re doing fantastically at it.

Just got back off call, had one shout to a lady in a day centre. Spent a pleasant hour or so in their sensory room being fed ice cold water and taking care of her until the crew arrived. Lots of fans, very cool :)

Bought a bottle of Aber Falls orange marmalade gin in Asda after logging off, celebrating my final teaching paycheque before starting my course.

One of the EMTs at the ambo station said that under the Equalities Act, they don’t expect T1s to work nights. That could be a winner, although I’m happy to give it a go...
Wow 18 years, amazing!! 2 for me has been hard but thanks for the support @Mel dCP

Reactions: hh1