Change in Medication/Early Morning Suger Dump

johnoo

I'm currently taking, early morning 2 Metformin 500mg/1 Alogliptin 12.5mg/1 Gliclazide 80mg & in the evening 2 Metformin 500mg/1 Gliclazide 80mg.
My problem of control seems to be an "Early Morning Sugar dump"
My nurse has now increased my Alogliptin to 25mg/day.
I've been told to still keep taking the Alogliptin early morning.
But is this correct as how can it help in controlling the over night sugar dump?
Perhaps I'm also asking if the Alogliptin is fast acting in the body or does it take some hours to do it's job?
Hope you can help

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't say one way or the other about the meds, i don't use this stuff... Only had the metformin and the glic for a while there, the other never came up. Personally, I'd think they'd up the met if it's Dawn Phenomenon that's the problem. It is a problem? How are your numbers at the moment? The morning numbers are the last to come down as the liver's stores are depleted.... Are you still running high? What are you eating?

I seem to remember you wanted to try low carb, did that work out at all?
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

johnoo

Please I'm not asking for advise on dosage of medication.
I'm asking for advise on timing.
With a sugar dump, would it be best to take the Alogliptin in morning/lunch time/evening?
My diet has not changed but my latest Hba1c figure has increased to 68

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please I'm not asking for advise on dosage of medication.
I'm asking for advise on timing.
With a sugar dump, would it be best to take the Alogliptin in morning/lunch time/evening?
My diet has not changed but my latest Hba1c figure has increased to 68

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, I meant we can’t advise on meds and dosages, and that includes timing, you need to ask your health care team for advise.

johnoo

I'm sorry as well, but if anybody is taking Alogliptin perhaps they could just tell me their timings, which I'm sure is not breaking rules

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry as well, but if anybody is taking Alogliptin perhaps they could just tell me their timings, which I'm sure is not breaking rules
As long as people state their own experiences that is fine :)

ShortStuff

You might find this interesting to read https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4005122/. Especially page 5 onwards.

I have done quite a lot of reading about it as my friend was given it too & she wasn’t sure about taking it & my ‘take’ on it is that it’s long lasting in your system (12-21 hours) so it shouldn’t make much difference when you take it, but personally I would take it in the morning, with food. Once you’ve been taking it 7 days you should be in a steady state of absorption & due to that ‘when’ you take it isn’t important.

The most important factor seemed to be taking it at the same time every day.

But as I say, this is purely from reading on behalf of my friend.