Approved Nutrition research study for people with T2D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sought further details.

It’s about testing mycoprotein asource of protein and fibre, quorn in it’s processed state and half the test. The rest is unprocessed mycoprotein

The meals are accompained with chapati bread (with and without a fibre called guar gum) and potato. At the end of the study visit there is a buffet meal used to measure your appetite composed of pasta with tomato sauce.

I’ve declined based on the fact I feel that carbs are an inseparable confounder based on the choice of bread, potato and pasta and not a true reflection of appetite to those who choose to control type 2 by low carb methods.

In total there are 6 separate study visits with a space of time between visits of around a 7 days.

The blood results of the screening visit will be sent to you by post the next day upon request.The health screening consists of:
- Health questionnaire with questions against exclusion criteria
- One blood test (1 x 20 ml) (HbA1c, Full Blood Ccount, Liver Function Test, Urea&Electrolytes and lipids)
- Height and weight measurements
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Blood pressure (3 times within 15 min)
- A pregnancy test for women

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Well, I filled in the form but said my dietary requirements were very low carbohydrate.
I've just been told that this rules me out of the study.
I came back to report this but I see that this has already been covered in some detail.

I would say that if I ate protein and carbohydrates in the trial meal, then by the time the buffet came round I would be into serious carbohydrate cravings and would probably neck down a load of pasta and tomato sauce.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sought further details.

It’s about testing mycoprotein asource of protein and fibre, quorn in it’s processed state and half the test. The rest is unprocessed mycoprotein

The meals are accompained with chapati bread (with and without a fibre called guar gum) and potato. At the end of the study visit there is a buffet meal used to measure your appetite composed of pasta with tomato sauce.

I’ve declined based on the fact I feel that carbs are an inseparable confounder based on the choice of bread, potato and pasta and not a true reflection of appetite to those who choose to control type 2 by low carb methods.

In total there are 6 separate study visits with a space of time between visits of around a 7 days.

The blood results of the screening visit will be sent to you by post the next day upon request.The health screening consists of:
- Health questionnaire with questions against exclusion criteria
- One blood test (1 x 20 ml) (HbA1c, Full Blood Ccount, Liver Function Test, Urea&Electrolytes and lipids)
- Height and weight measurements
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Blood pressure (3 times within 15 min)
- A pregnancy test for women

Thank you @HSSS

I suppose the blood test would be the one from start of program... So would be very useful for those interested.

I would also suggest that a follow up one some time after the study should be applied.

After all, those taking part, will be removing a level of protection they currently have, LCHF I guess.....to trust in others to decide their foods and feed them .

I'd say those taking part would have earned the right to see exactly what the impact on THEIR bodies would be, due to taking part in the study itself.
Anything less would in my mind be a little disrespectful.

Particularly when those taking part MAY have put back their own recovery by some way.

Having eschewed carbs and sugar .a good old dollop of it now and i'd be right back to where I was just after dx, shaking off that carb flu or sugar withdrawal

For me.. In out.

Before I was DX.. food was whatever I wanted.
It didn't matter what went into it to make it taste so good.

Now I TRY to go by the idea the idea. (Stole it )
That food ISN'T all the ingredients on the back of the pack
Food IS the ingredients.

Meat, veg, etc.

Anything else is just Chemistry, right..;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3