Prediabetes Blown it!

Steph001

My daughter was on a cooking course today and came home with jam tarts, freshly made focaccia bread, banana and choco chip loaf and chicken pie with a wonderful crust! I could not resist and nor did I feel it was right to after all that effort she had put in. I am STUFFED!!!! I'm desperate not to have to go on to medication (I'm prediabetic). So I have that same guilt feeling you get when you break a diet. However I want the LCLF to be my way of life, mostly i love it and have lost 9 pounds in 2.5 weeks which is amazing. I've just had my first fast on Monday. I quite enjoyed it (until the morning when I was STARVING) Would you fast after something like this? Someone gave me some great advice on here saying when you do things like this see it as an experiment and test your bloods. But I do feel guilty and wonder how this will effect my bloods in 3 months time?

Last edited:
Reactions: ert

Blackqueen

My daughter was on a cooking course today and came home with jam tarts, freshly made focaccia bread, banana and choco chip loaf and chicken pie with a wonderful crust! I could not resist and nor did I feel it was right to after all that effort she had put in. I am STUFFED!!!! I'm desperate not to have to go on to medication (I'm prediabetic). So I have that same guilt feeling you get when you break a diet. However I want the LCLF to be my way of life, mostly i love it and have lost 9 pounds in 2.5 weeks which is amazing. I've just had my first fast on Monday. I quite enjoyed it (until the morning when I was STARVING) Would you fast after something like this? Someone gave me some great advice on here saying when you do things like this see it as an experiment and test your bloods. But I do feel guilty and wonder how this will effect my bloods in 3 months time?
I am also prediabetic. I follow a low carb low glycemic food diet. I have also gone on the food crave crash . Sometimes I tell my self this once cant hurt. What I do is drink lots of water to flush out and if you can get coconut water that is great help. I would like to hear what others have to say bearing in mind that this can lead to full blown diabetes if we dont be careful. All now am about to bake a cheesecake and am afraid am gonna loose control and eat alllllllllllllll

Reactions: 1spuds and Steph001

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
drink lots of water to flush out and if you can get coconut water that is great help.
Water does not work like this. :banghead:
Or else that's all anyone would ever have to take, to go on a diet.

To be clear you think that drinking sugary coconut water is somehow flushing out the sugary food you have eaten? You are just adding more sugar to your blood stream. :banghead::banghead:

Low carb and low GI are 2 entirely different things most things considered low GI would still be considered high carb. Beans, fruit, milk, pasta, bread are all low GI but high carb. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

@Blackqueen I am concerned that you are eating yourself into diabetes. If you don't mind can you give us a typical days food.
:bag:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone gave me some great advice on here saying when you do things like this see it as an experiment and test your bloods.
It's not a get out of jail free card.

It's supposed to horrifie you into not doing it again. :dead:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your head is going to get sore with all this head banging
emoji23.png
Yes.

Perhaps that's why Peter Gabriel used a sledge hammer. :p

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
am about to bake a cheesecake and am afraid am gonna loose control and eat alllllllllllllll
Wife made a Keto cheesecake basically with cream cheese,sour cream,peanut butter with almond flour for crust.She baked the crust,scooped in the rest and refrigerated it.Its the bomb,only downside is its a calorie monster,have to watch portions.
She found the recipe on the web.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Having the slip-ups is like walking over hot coals, only you can decide if it is worth it.

You might want to try flavcity.com (and their YouTube videos). I have made the macadamia bread and they do other low carb treats maybe you and your daughter can try out. Today I made burgers from scratch with my daughter, so easy and it was great.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is not the test in three months that should worry you the most. The HbA1c is an average so it will miss the very high spikes and any low readings that a glucometer at home shows you.
And it is the spikes that cause the damage in the long run along with elevated insulin levels.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditchthecarb.com do some easy keto cheesecakes. Most anything you eat now if you google it with the word keto or low carb loads of alternative recipes will come up.

The advice to test if you have splurged is good in that as there is no spoon says it’ll horrify you into not eating it next time or at least into just taking a small bite to taste and compliment the chef.

In the meantime about the only thing to help bring a spike down is to walk it off and not eat any more carbs at all til it comes down to a better level. Some steady continued exercise works for many. (Again test and see for yourself). More energetic stuff might push it up temporarily but still is good for us long term so don’t avoid it altogether just maybe not do it on these occasions.

Steph001

Ditchthecarb.com do some easy keto cheesecakes. Most anything you eat now if you google it with the word keto or low carb loads of alternative recipes will come up.

The advice to test if you have splurged is good in that as there is no spoon says it’ll horrify you into not eating it next time or at least into just taking a small bite to taste and compliment the chef.

In the meantime about the only thing to help bring a spike down is to walk it off and not eat any more carbs at all til it comes down to a better level. Some steady continued exercise works for many. (Again test and see for yourself). More energetic stuff might push it up temporarily but still is good for us long term so don’t avoid it altogether just maybe not do it on these occasions.

I didn’t test after eating it but I presume with so much carbs in theory it should spike my fast reading tomorrow ? Many thanks

Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Steph001 - The temptation to "just have one" can be great; especially nearer to the beginning of the LC journey, but once the numbers sort themselves out, and any cravings wither, it's a lot easier.

I was incredibly fortunate, in that I don't recall having many cravings, although sometimes, I'd have a phase of eating too much of x, y or z.

Does your daughter live with you? If so, she might be up for some experimentation in the more reduced carb arena. My OH is a wonderful cook (way better than me), and over time he has just tweaked lots of what we eat to reach an accommodation for us both

There are loads of LC bloggers out there and many do desserts, and have created deliciousness with far fewer carbs. Have a look at ditchthecarbs, ibreatheimhungry, twosleevers and alldayidreamoffood for starters.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
And it is the spikes that cause the damage in the long run along with elevated insulin levels.

Sorry to but in on your thread op.

Would you say that a zig zag bg level of for example 5 to 10 zig zagging constantly would be worse than a flat line of 7.5?

Reactions: Steph001

Steph001

@Steph001 - The temptation to "just have one" can be great; especially nearer to the beginning of the LC journey, but once the numbers sort themselves out, and any cravings wither, it's a lot easier.

I was incredibly fortunate, in that I don't recall having many cravings, although sometimes, I'd have a phase of eating too much of x, y or z.

Does your daughter live with you? If so, she might be up for some experimentation in the more reduced carb arena. My OH is a wonderful cook (way better than me), and over time he has just tweaked lots of what we eat to reach an accommodation for us both

There are loads of LC bloggers out there and many do desserts, and have created deliciousness with far fewer carbs. Have a look at ditchthecarbs, ibreatheimhungry, twosleevers and alldayidreamoffood for starters.

Thanks so much. I will check those out. Weirdly I did not want any of it until I had one bite and then I could literally not stop eating the freshly baked focaccia bread with butter!! It was white and I think white flour and me do not go well together. My daughter is only 7 and she was at a cooking course so I felt so mean saying no but then once started found it so hard to stop! As I’ve only recent found out about being prediabetic I am still testing things out. This morning I took my blood sugar and it was 8 it’s never been that high before so I think this was a really good wake up call and now I really do believe that carbs are not good for me and my pre diabetes. I go back to the docs in 3 Months for another blood test and before that one for my liver. So I’m really going to try very hard. I have an all inclusive Holiday coming up but hoping there will be plenary of cheese and meat and salads

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry to but in on your thread op.

Would you say that a zig zag bg level of for example 5 to 10 zig zagging constantly would be worse than a flat line of 7.5?
Well, they reckon it is better to flat line at a slightly higher level than to spike constantly. Mind you, they never say what 'slightly higher' is.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, they reckon it is better to flat line at a slightly higher level than to spike constantly. Mind you, they never say what 'slightly higher' is.
Thankyou, I have been wondering which was worse as I am often in zig zag mode hehe.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thankyou, I have been wondering which was worse as I am often in zig zag mode hehe.
I was like that when I first got a glucometer but it settled down after a while.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The one really happy result of a diet lower in carbs is that after a while your palate changes. For me this meant that the temptation to eat highly palateable foods diminished to the point that sweet foods were way too sweet and savoury high carb foods didn't give me that 'mouthfeel' pleasure any more. Within weeks my sense of taste returned so that real foods were high in flavour and so more pleasant to eat. It's all good stuff.

Reactions: Steph001

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Guzzler

After quite a while (or nowadays) I don't pine over anything I can't have, I don't feel bad if someone is stuffing their face in front of me (although they think I do) I don't cry walking past the bread isle in Tesco's, its just easy (ier).

I can't count how many times I've cheated or fallen off the wagon, never felt guilty once, figured no point doing it if I am going to regret it and nothing will change it anyway, just try not to do it again.

Its your body, your choice, no one can judge you either way, we have to do it for ourselves (or not) don't feel bad, theres no point, just move on. I ride a motorbike and always think, "1 down 5 up" that will do me, 1 step backwards 5 steps forward, I just try to make my 5 steps, leaps and the backward steps pigeon.

Wow I am rambling today, need to go do some work and stop ready this forum