first hba1c test - result 42

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi... I'm new here :) I've just received my first hba1C result at 42 (19-42). Am I right in thinking that I'm on the verge of pre-diabetes. The GP surgery receptionist has said "normal, no further action needed". I'm not convinced! At what level is the hba1c considered "action needed"? I'm also hypothyroid.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the uk prediabetes starts at 42mmol.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Not everyone will progress to full diabetes but advice to prediabetic would be to manage weight and be as active as possible. Specifically, most people here find that lowering carbs (not just sugar) is the best way to reduce hb1ac and also has the benefit of reducing weight. Prediabetics tend to follow the same advice as type 2 but obviously have less to correct and possibly can achieve it more easily not being as insulin resistant yet.

I had similar and worse tests for years and was told ok, normal. I wish I’d have had the chance you have to turn it around earlier.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Liza and welcome!
As @HSSS says you are just into the prediabetic zone for the U.K., here is what this website says about levels:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-test.html
You are very fortunate not to have taken the receptionist’s word for it that it’s normal and you’ve come here for advice. The line has to be drawn somewhere and unfortunately you are just on the wrong side of it :(
Here’s some useful info we give to newbies, have a read and come back with any questions you might have:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Have the surgery promised you another test at some point?

Edit for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and liza_h

Blackqueen

Hi... I'm new here :) I've just received my first hba1C result at 42 (19-42). Am I right in thinking that I'm on the verge of pre-diabetes. The GP surgery receptionist has said "normal, no further action needed". I'm not convinced! At what level is the hba1c considered "action needed"? I'm also hypothyroid.
To be on the safe side reudce your carb intake leave out sugar where possible research as much as possible about diabetes and glycemic index of foods . From what i have found in my research diabetes is dangerous destroys the body organs etc I have ranked it 2nd after cancer. So if you can prevent it please do.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too - well defunct thyroid so I take Thyroxine, and Hba1c, but coming from the other direction - I was probably having problems with glucose for a long time - but I'm fine now.
I just wish I'd been found out earlier, so I would advise watching your diet, avoiding carbs - even investing in a glucose meter - I got a kit and 150 test strips for under £40 - the Tee 2+, mail order. When you see high spikes you know you have over done the carbs and need to adjust.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @liza_h. Yes you are in the pre-diabetic range (42-47), but you should be able to lower your blood glucose levels to the non-diabetic range (below 42) relatively easily.
Apart from obviously cutting out sugary foods and drink you also need to restrict consumption of starchy carbohydrates as these turn to sugar quickly in our bodies so aren't good for pre-diabetics or Type 2 diabetics.
Hypothyroidism often seems to be associated with Type 2 diabetes. I have both hypothyroidism and Type 2 diabetes.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your replies and support.

I was raised by a diabetic grandfather and have always viewed convenience foods, carbs esp white flour and added sugar as akin to poison - it's not but it was to him! My diet has been home cooked plant based low/no added sugar for around fifty years! There's not much more I can restrict tbh.

My thyroid was left untreated 10 years ago and in the meantime in 6 months I put on 3 stone... it's now treated but only after pushing for testing when my godmother thought my thyroid was an issue. I believe my tsh is still too high as low calorie and gym sessions have left me at exactly the same weight I was six months ago.

My GP has offered nothing and the "normal - no further action required" is typical. I have never had help from them unless I've asked and asked and always been fobbed off in the first instance. They refused to even let me have my full blood test results in figures until I told them I have a legal right to them. I have to push for anything from them... so no re-test or offer of advice.

I think I need to book an appointment.
Thank you for the info you've offered.
xx

Reactions: Prem51

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My first HbA1c test gave exactly the same result as yours, and because it was borderline, my GP requested a repeat test. In the second test it was 43 and I was told I was prediabetic. I’d see if you could get a repeat blood test if possible.

Wishing you well!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are eating carbohydrate - even if avoiding sugar, you should check the carb content and the amounts you are eating - it can make a big difference to stop eating potatoes and parsnips, carrots and peas, substituting cauliflower and courgette, aubergine radish and salad stuff.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My first HbA1c test gave exactly the same result as yours, and because it was borderline, my GP requested a repeat test. In the second test it was 43 and I was told I was prediabetic. I’d see if you could get a repeat blood test if possible.

Wishing you well!

Thank you!
I went to see a GP today - one new to me and she was very supportive. She has arranged another test in 6 weeks time... so I'll follow the advice on here and see if I can get this result down (even a little) below 42 in this time.

Reactions: Hooty and Prem51

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are eating carbohydrate - even if avoiding sugar, you should check the carb content and the amounts you are eating - it can make a big difference to stop eating potatoes and parsnips, carrots and peas, substituting cauliflower and courgette, aubergine radish and salad stuff.
I haven't taken much notice of choosing veg with lower carbs before so I'll be much more aware now. Thanks.

Reactions: Prem51

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New update;

I asked for an appointment at my surgery and went to see a GP today - one new to me and she was very supportive.

I questioned the test result and she also looked at NICE regarding 42 being prediabetic and high risk. I pointed out that with my family history (almost everyone gets T2) a BMI of 29 and thyroid issues I'm heading for diabetes unless I get support.

She has arranged another test in 6 weeks time... so I'll follow the advice on here and see if I can get this hba1c result down (even a little) below 42 in this time.

I'm having another test in about six weeks and going to see a diabetes nurse in a couple of weeks. I feel less alone and more positive about this already.

It's amazing what a little support can do!
Thank you!

Reactions: Hooty and Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't taken much notice of choosing veg with lower carbs before so I'll be much more aware now. Thanks.
Take a look at this site for quick guides to carbs and lots of other helpful info
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/visual-guides
And there’s a vegetarian section in here if you choose to be plant based. Be aware pasta and rice are high carb no matter what colour or variety.

velofan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
New here myself too, but hope this helps a bit: I went for my NHS over-55 screening last year, and afterwards was told everything was OK (apart from being a 'bit' overweight - actually I was quite a lot overweight!). This year, out of the blue, I received a letter saying that my blood sugar levels had previously been 'high' ,and that I needed to take a blood test. On further enquiry, I found that, like you, HbA1C was at 42 last year, but as they didn't tell me then, I lost a year of sorting out. For this year's test, they told me they'd be in touch if a problem, but if interested in my levels, could still ask for figures. When they didn't get in touch, I did, to find I was up to 43. So am delighted to hear you've had support from your doctor, but my suggestion is do make sure that you don't let yourself be fobbed off at any point, as I did, but make sure you know actual figures at every stage. Sounds like you are, but thought it might be worth reiterating.

Incidentally, I've gone over to a diet cutting out standard high carb foods (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, other cereals, root veg etc), but am afraid to say that my fish/meat/dairy consumption has gone up a fair bit (and am eating plenty of fat). Am checking fasting levels, which are looking OK (although figures do vary, even if taken with minutes of each other), and weight sloughing off nicely with little effort (half a stone a month at present), and have got back into doing plenty of exercise (mainly running, cycling, some walking).

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and Hooty

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've gone over to a diet cutting out standard high carb foods (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, other cereals, root veg etc), but am afraid to say that my fish/meat/dairy consumption has gone up a fair bit (and am eating plenty of fat).

Exactly as we would advise you to do! So don’t apologise for any of it.

Reactions: velofan and Prem51

velofan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly as we would advise you to do! So don’t apologise for any of it.

My poor: I was apologising to Liza because she said that her diet was mainly plant based, so that bit about meat/fish might not be particularly helpful.