My First Diabetes Review, 31 July 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 508720
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 508720

My first Diabetes Review, 31 July 19

• On Wednesday 31 July 2019 I saw my Diabetic nurse. It is two and a half months since I was first diagnosed. My initial HbA1c was 110, which is very high.
• On Friday 5 July, I attended the NHS DESMOND one day training course for Type 2 diabetics. I found this very beneficial, particularly in confirming that I am doing all the right things in relation to food and exercise.
• I’ve been following a low calorie diet. I’ve cut out all sugary drinks, biscuits, cakes, desserts, chocolate and ice cream. I try to keep to around 1600 calories each day.
• In addition, I’ve been doing more exercise, mainly walking. I try to walk 6,000 steps each day whenever possible.
• I use the Samsung Health App. This keeps a record of all the steps I take when I am out walking. I can also search for and add all the food which I eat each day and drinks and it calculates the number of calories which I eat. I can also record my hours of sleep.
• When I achieve my goals, the App awards me with a certificate. It also shows me the trends over a number of days.
• Since I was diagnosed on Friday 17 May 2019, I have lost 1 stone 4 lbs in weight. My blood pressure, which was previously very high at 147/, was on Wednesday 137/76. My Diabetic nurse was very pleased.
• I do not know what my current HbA1c is as it is currently too early to check it. I have an appointment to have my blood tests done on Monday 19 August. I am hoping that it will have significantly reduced.
• Thank you to all those Forum members who have given me their advice, help and support. I very much appreciate this. I’m not sure if I’m posting this correctly as it’s the first time but I hope so.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on what you have achieved so far the weight loss is awesome. Some here go against what the NHS say and eat a low carb high fat diet instead but that does not suit everyone because we are all different just do what you feel is best for you

D

Deleted member 508720

Well done on what you have achieved so far the weight loss is awesome. Some here go against what the NHS say and eat a low carb high fat diet instead but that does not suit everyone because we are all different just do what you feel is best for you
Thanks for your reply. I’m following a low calorie diet rather than low carb. I’m glad you’re finding the low carb helpful for you; like you say, different things suit different people. Sending my best wishes and thanks for the encouragement. Sheila

Reactions: 1spuds

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well done lovely, sounds like you’re determined to get to grips with this! Are you testing your blood at home so you can see what effect your meals are having on your blood sugar levels? I know a lot of the type twos here get a lot of useful information from doing that. Wishing you all the best :)

Reactions: 1spuds
D

Deleted member 508720

Well done lovely, sounds like you’re determined to get to grips with this! Are you testing your blood at home so you can see what effect your meals are having on your blood sugar levels? I know a lot of the type twos here get a lot of useful information from doing that. Wishing you all the best :)
Thanks very much for your encouraging reply. Yes, I have taken it very seriously as the doctor told me it was life threatening!

I must admit I’ve not been testing my blood at home. I intended doing so but just could not bear the thoughts of pricking myself and drawing blood. I asked my diabetic nurse about it and she said I didn’t have to with the type of medication I’m taking. I’m sure it would have given me a lot of useful information but since I’m cutting out all sugar anyway it doesn’t seem as relevant.

Thanks again for replying. With my best wishes, Sheila

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is only one part of the carbohydrate food group which will raise your blood glucose - starches are just as unkind.
Perhaps if you keep a total of the carbs you eat and when, as time of day has an impact for some, you will be able to get some idea of what you can eat. Testing gives far more exact information, but you'll have some idea of how you are doing when you are tested again - it seems rather strange that you had a diabetes review without any information about your diabetes being investigated beforehand - but the workings of the NHS are somewhat strange when it comes to annual reviews, I find.

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sheila L . What a lovely post.
So glad that things are going well for you. Finding something that’s works for you is important. You appear to be following a similar dietary plan as did my mother a few years back when she was diagnosed T2. She spent 6 months on metformin but then was taken off it on account here HbA1C had fallen back into non diabetic territory. She is still sticking to the diet and is doing fine.
Even better though is the fact that your post is full of happiness and if you’re half as happy as your avatar would suggest then you are obviously winning.:):)

D

Deleted member 508720

Sugar is only one part of the carbohydrate food group which will raise your blood glucose - starches are just as unkind.
Perhaps if you keep a total of the carbs you eat and when, as time of day has an impact for some, you will be able to get some idea of what you can eat. Testing gives far more exact information, but you'll have some idea of how you are doing when you are tested again - it seems rather strange that you had a diabetes review without any information about your diabetes being investigated beforehand - but the workings of the NHS are somewhat strange when it comes to annual reviews, I find.
Thanks very much for your reply and for your advice. I was warned about carbohydrates and how they turn to sugar. I try to keep the carbs as low as I can. The Samsung Health App is very useful as it gives me all sorts of information on what I’ve eaten, including the number of carbohydrates I eat.

I appreciate what you say about the annual review. I thought exactly the same so I asked the nurse why I hadn’t had the blood test. She said the reason she had seen me early was simply to offer extra initial support and to see how I’m getting on. She will see me again on 19 August for the blood test and says she will phone me as soon as she gets the result. I am very fortunate as I get excellent help and support from my doctor and supporting staff.

Thanks again for getting in touch
Kind regards, Sheila

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My first Diabetes Review, 31 July 19

• On Wednesday 31 July 2019 I saw my Diabetic nurse. It is two and a half months since I was first diagnosed. My initial HbA1c was 110, which is very high.
• On Friday 5 July, I attended the NHS DESMOND one day training course for Type 2 diabetics. I found this very beneficial, particularly in confirming that I am doing all the right things in relation to food and exercise.
• I’ve been following a low calorie diet. I’ve cut out all sugary drinks, biscuits, cakes, desserts, chocolate and ice cream. I try to keep to around 1600 calories each day.
• In addition, I’ve been doing more exercise, mainly walking. I try to walk 6,000 steps each day whenever possible.
• I use the Samsung Health App. This keeps a record of all the steps I take when I am out walking. I can also search for and add all the food which I eat each day and drinks and it calculates the number of calories which I eat. I can also record my hours of sleep.
• When I achieve my goals, the App awards me with a certificate. It also shows me the trends over a number of days.
• Since I was diagnosed on Friday 17 May 2019, I have lost 1 stone 4 lbs in weight. My blood pressure, which was previously very high at 147/, was on Wednesday 137/76. My Diabetic nurse was very pleased.
• I do not know what my current HbA1c is as it is currently too early to check it. I have an appointment to have my blood tests done on Monday 19 August. I am hoping that it will have significantly reduced.
• Thank you to all those Forum members who have given me their advice, help and support. I very much appreciate this. I’m not sure if I’m posting this correctly as it’s the first time but I hope so.

Hi Sheila,

Well done for the weight loss and reduction in BP. That is fantastic.

I am very similar position to you in that I was diagnosed at the end of May with a similar hbac1 of 107 and BP around 150 every day. Like you my BP is now down and is at a more respectable level of 120 with meds.

I have also cut out all of the sugary drinks, cakes, pastries, chocolates and ice cream although I do get a craving for something sweet still, particularly late at night. So far, I havn't succumbed. Well done for the walking. I am managing about a mile a day.

I am due to attend the Desmond Course on Monday, so it is very helpful to hear that you found it useful. I am hoping to get a lot from it.

Good luck on the 19th - I hope that you find a good reduction.

From one in a very similar position.

D

Deleted member 508720

So glad that things are going well for you. Finding something that’s works for you is important. You appear to be following a similar dietary plan as did my mother a few years back when she was diagnosed T2. She spent 6 months on metformin but then was taken off it on account here HbA1C had fallen back into non diabetic territory. She is still sticking to the diet and is doing fine.
Even better though is the fact that your post is full of happiness and if you’re half as happy as your avatar would suggest then you are obviously winning.:):)
Good to read your post. Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, the eating plan I am following does work well for me. I don’t think I can comfortably cut my carbs any lower than I do. I’m not keep on eating things high in unsaturated fat either.

That’s amazing to hear about your Mother. She must have done incredibly well, to be taken off the Metformin after only six months. I’m pleased she’s still keeping to the diet and making such good progress.I don’t think that is likely to happen to me as my HbA1c was so high. I must admit, I can’t wait to get the latest figure and do hope it is much lower. I’m glad you found my post full of happiness. I was devastated when I first was told I am diabetic. Both my paternal grandmother and my father were both diabetic and the doctor told me mine is hereditary. I seriously took the situation on board soon accepted it. I suppose I am quite happy about it now but am concerned about possible complications.

Many thanks again for contacting me. Best wishes. Sheila

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 508720

Hi Sheila,

Well done for the weight loss and reduction in BP. That is fantastic.

I am very similar position to you in that I was diagnosed at the end of May with a similar hbac1 of 107 and BP around 150 every day. Like you my BP is now down and is at a more respectable level of 120 with meds.

I have also cut out all of the sugary drinks, cakes, pastries, chocolates and ice cream although I do get a craving for something sweet still, particularly late at night. So far, I havn't succumbed. Well done for the walking. I am managing about a mile a day.

I am due to attend the Desmond Course on Monday, so it is very helpful to hear that you found it useful. I am hoping to get a lot from it.

Good luck on the 19th - I hope that you find a good reduction.

From one in a very similar position.
It was very good to read your post. Thanks very much. How interesting to read about all the similarities to me. You’ve done amazingly well to get your blood pressure down so much. It’s interesting that , on the whole, I haven’t had cravings for sweet food. I have managed to keep off it for two and a half months but I must admit I find it difficult sitting there whilst my husband is eating lovely puddings or cakes! I sometimes get myself something like a big strawberry or three cherries. My diabetic nurse has emphasised not to do without but to substitute. That’s sometimes easier said than done.

I hope you enjoy the DESMOND course on Monday. It is a full day. We started at 9.30 am, had only half an hour for lunch and finished at 5 pm. Like you, I decided to get everything out of it that I could. I was amazed that other people didn’t seem to know much about what they could and couldn’t eat. The course I attended was run by a retired GP and a diabetic nurse. The course was very highly organised, informative and well-structured. There was opportunity to ask questions. As well as diet, they also discussed things like retina screening, foot care and some of the other complications which can occur. For me, it reinforced that what I am doing is the right thing. I was amazed that I was the only one who completed the feedback form at the end; the others just left them on the desk not filled in.

I wish you the very best and hope you continue to do so well in the future. Sheila

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning @Sheila L - fingers crossed for your blood test on the 19th - just a hint from an old hand - make sure you get the actual number for your result. Sometimes they’ll fob you off with “normal” or “diabetic” :rolleyes: Quite often you’ll have to chase it, as in many surgeries they get the receptionist to phone you with the result and because they’re not clinically trained they can’t/won’t give actual numbers. ❤️

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sheila L

Good luck with your next blood tests.
One piece of advice I have is to ask for a print out of the test results, and also one for your previous tests. Of course the HbA1c is important to know, but so are some of the other things they test for when we are diabetic. These are cholesterol, lipids (HDL, LDL, triglycerides), liver & kidney functions and eGFR. These numbers are important for us to know and to keep a close eye on as high blood sugars affect many things. Print outs will show all the tests you had, the results, and whether they are in range, at the top of the range, near the bottom of the range or whatever. If there is anything on these print outs you don't understand, we can help you. Unfortunately, doctors don't have time to study and analyse all the test results, and many fail to notify us if some of them are trending upwards. You are entitled to these print outs.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 508720

Morning @Sheila L - fingers crossed for your blood test on the 19th - just a hint from an old hand - make sure you get the actual number for your result. Sometimes they’ll fob you off with “normal” or “diabetic” :rolleyes: Quite often you’ll have to chase it, as in many surgeries they get the receptionist to phone you with the result and because they’re not clinically trained they can’t/won’t give actual numbers. ❤️
Thanks for contacting me again and for your good wishes.I appreciate the advice about getting the actual number of my result. I would be mad if I didn’t get that as I have worked so hard to try to get the level down!

My diabetic nurse is brilliant. She has promised to speak to me on my mobile phone if I’m not at home and has said she will give me the result. If she can’t contact me, I can phone her for the result. I’m very fortunate that here in Somerset because we have access to My Diabetes My Way. Now I have joined that, I have access to all my diabetes records on my doctor’s website. I can see all my results and also see graphs and charts of my progress.

Best wishes, Sheila

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for contacting me again and for your good wishes.I appreciate the advice about getting the actual number of my result. I would be mad if I didn’t get that as I have worked so hard to try to get the level down!

My diabetic nurse is brilliant. She has promised to speak to me on my mobile phone if I’m not at home and has said she will give me the result. If she can’t contact me, I can phone her for the result. I’m very fortunate that here in Somerset because we have access to My Diabetes My Way. Now I have joined that, I have access to all my diabetes records on my doctor’s website. I can see all my results and also see graphs and charts of my progress.

Best wishes, Sheila
I grew up in Somerset :)

D

Deleted member 508720

@Sheila L

Good luck with your next blood tests.
One piece of advice I have is to ask for a print out of the test results, and also one for your previous tests. Of course the HbA1c is important to know, but so are some of the other things they test for when we are diabetic. These are cholesterol, lipids (HDL, LDL, triglycerides), liver & kidney functions and eGFR. These numbers are important for us to know and to keep a close eye on as high blood sugars affect many things. Print outs will show all the tests you had, the results, and whether they are in range, at the top of the range, near the bottom of the range or whatever. If there is anything on these print outs you don't understand, we can help you. Unfortunately, doctors don't have time to study and analyse all the test results, and many fail to notify us if some of them are trending upwards. You are entitled to these print outs.
Hello. Thanks for your encouraging and informative reply. I remember talking to you previously. I do appreciate your advice about asking for a print out. I had absolutely no idea that I could ask for a printout or indeed that I was entitled to one.

I know that there are many other things they test for and I’m sure my doctor will study my results when she gets them. We are very fortunate to have a first class surgery with doctors who seem to pick up on things.

My diabetic nurse is brilliant. She will phone me the result but I must remember to ask for a printout. I’m very fortunate that I have access to My Diabetes My Way, which is only available to people living in Somerset and Scotland. This gives me access to all my doctor’s diabetes records in relation to me. I can see all my results and also see graphs and charts of my progress. All the test results which you mention above are listed, together with a smiley face if all is well and a frown if things need to improve. I shall certainly take your advice and keep my eye on all these figures. I read somewhere that taking Metformin can lead to a deficiency in Vitamin B12 and that the damage is irreversible. The doctor has arranged for that to be tested when I have my other blood tests done on 19 August.

With many thanks again and best wishes, Sheila

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Best wishes, Sheila
I’m also in Somerset and Diabetes My Way should have the results on line the day after your blood test. I was surprised how quickly they were on there.

D

Deleted member 508720

I’m also in Somerset and Diabetes My Way should have the results on line the day after your blood test. I was surprised how quickly they were on there.
Thanks for your reply. I’m grateful that we have My Diabetes My Way available to us in Somerset. I use it to record the date and new reading when I manage to lose some weight. It’s a good incentive to see the progress I’ve made. I too am surprised that the blood test results go on so quickly; that’s good to know.

I appreciate you getting in touch. Best wishes. Sheila

Reactions: Daphne917

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You say you have online access to your test results which is good. You need to have your blood tests done 1 to 2 weeks before your review so you don't waste time at the review being told the results but can go straight in to discuss the implications. I would encourage you to think carbs and not calories. Calories are a marketing tool used by slimming clubs etc and not based on good science when it comes to what you eat. Fats have twice the calories of carbs and hence controlling calories can encourage reducing fats rather than carbs which is the opposite of what we with diabetes need. Fats don't result in any significant BS rise but carbs do so do focus on the latter although I accept holding calories down will help if not optimal.