June 2019 - Group Fasting Support

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff @jpscloud.

We are visiting the Greeks this weekend so I have decided to go with Plan B (yes that's the only reason - not lack of willpower - honest!).

Plan B will be to OMAD so that I can get a run longer than 3 day run for an extended fast

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sensible choice @MontyZ - I'm doing two meals a day this weekend, and will be very active cutting grass and gardening at two houses, so hope to keep overeating at bay.

I overate slightly yesterday, I did 16:8, but really should have fasted, and probably will do 18:6 today.

Even though I'm still very overweight, and am now struggling with overeating/regain and slipping with carbs, I still have a lot more energy and stamina than before intermittent fasting.

ETA I am aware that these benefits may not last if I don't get a grip, though.

Today's numbers:
FBG 6.9
Weight 269

Reactions: MontyZ

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jpscloud - Let me know if the gardening helps on the overeating front and if it does you are more than welcome to come and mow my lawn - lol, lol as they say.

Any potential fasters out there who are looking for inspirational posts - sorry your in the wrong thread!

Seriously though - if your thinking about it then get on board and help me out with a bit of healthy inspiration - we will get there hey @jpscloud !

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope your weekend went well @MontyZ. I'm reasonably happy with my damage control this weekend, and starting with a 24 hour fast today, then possibly 48 hours tues/weds. Or possibly OMAD depending on how things are going. Good luck to any fasters this week!

Last edited:

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All good @jpscloud and well done for the weekend damage control.

Shame there's no easy way to upload a picture on this site as have a screenshot from the app I mentioned which you may find useful.

Anyhow - started fasting 3pm on Sunday so that's 20 hours in the bag and aiming for over a 3 day run.

According to the app I am well into ketosis although I don't need the app to tell me that - my 'slightly fruity' read Hakarl breath is a tried and tested indicator.

Keep strong and go long - looking forward to see how your week pans out.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
I'm on Day 5 of a water only fast. Purpose: to get my blood glucose and insulin down, weight loss, autophagy.
Hunger has gone, I feel fine. I'm just going to listen to my body as to when to break the fast.
Will post progress reports!
All the best to everyone else that is fasting.

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely stonking work there @chrestomanci - I doff my hat to you as I listened to my body when I was shopping for the family in Lidl last night and it told me I must try their new Bockwursts. Any not the best decision I've every made but certainly not the wurst!

So managed a 30 hour fast so all not lost and looking forward to seeing your post progress report @chrestomanci

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Absolutely stonking work there @chrestomanci - I doff my hat to you as I listened to my body when I was shopping for the family in Lidl last night and it told me I must try their new Bockwursts. Any not the best decision I've every made but certainly not the wurst!

So managed a 30 hour fast so all not lost and looking forward to seeing your post progress report @chrestomanci

Thanks @MontyZ Day 6 and I'm feeling great! Loads of energy and no hunger, lots of mental clarity.
Mmm Bockwursts though! Well done on your 30 hour fast!

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fast free day today after a 24 hour fast yesterday and back in the game on Saturday.

Have a good one fasters

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
I broke my fast with a gentle refeeding yesterday and today. Longest I've ever fasted, felt great.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your extended fast @chrestomanci.

I did alternate days 24 hour fasting last week - but did not eat well on eating days, so unsurprisingly no weight loss. Blood sugars have been very good though.

This week I would like to try 36 to 48 hours fasting, with an eating day in between.

I must get back to low carb eating too.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Change of plan! I'm going to try to do another week of alternate day fasting but this time aim for a ketogenic diet, to see if I can get better weight loss. I'm sure I will, if I can actually do it!

Seeing the difference over a week will hopefully give me more motivation to keep off the carbs.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately I had more carbs than I should have yesterday afternoon, and although today should really be a fasting day, I've brought an omelette I made last night for lunch because I don't want to be tempted by the carbs at work while in a state of weakness. I'll have that with melted feta cheese and spinach leaves.

Back to keto now, I hope. I've stopped my oral medications for this few days, to see if the intermittent fasting with keto keeps me steady. It's a pity I spoiled the experiment last night, but even with those (about 300g) carbs I only went up to 9 mmol and after 2 hours was back down to 6. This morning's FBG was 6.3, so I'm happy with that. I'm still taking weekly dulaglutide injections.

Whether I restart the oral meds really depends on how successful I can be with fasting and low carbing. With summer hols coming up, I might struggle but I live in hope.

My weight is stubbornly around 266lbs, but the gaining has stopped for now at least.

Cultivator

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking on here on and off for a few years. Thanks for all the ideas and inspiration :)
I've decided now is the time to get serious about better control, weight loss etc and have been doing 16:8 and minimal carbs for around 3 weeks now. First thing to say is that within a couple of days I saw my first EVER meter reading with a 5 at the beginning, amazing! I even saw 4.9 once! If only somebody hadn't left a big bar of caramel chocolate in the fridge that time though....
I'm wondering if anyone can advise me about meds ! I am on Metformin 1000mg twice a day and forxiga 10 once a day. I am not eating until 12 or 1 but have been taking the meds as usual with my coffee and cream around 9 am. I quite often forget the evening Metformin as I'm no longer sitting down to a big meal, or sometimes I just take 1. I am still getting fasting blood sugars of 6 or 7 though which is irritating. It is 12 o'clock now and I've just tested at 5.9, it was 6.quitealot at around 10 and I've had one cup of coffee with cream since 8pm last night. Actually I've just realised that's not true... Does Yorkshire Tea with milk in the evening make a lot of difference? Surely there can't be that many carbs in a slug of goats milk??
I kind of feel that while fasting bloods are still high I should take the meds in the morning but don't know if that is logical if I'm not eating.
Anyone got any ideas about this?
Thanks in advance

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm still skipping breakfast every day and feel great. The old 16:8 No weight loss though. I've worked out that I eat too much cheese to lose weight. I planned a day without cheese today but I caved in at 2.30 pm and had a second cheese salad lunch and a cheese dessert.

Reactions: Cultivator

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking on here on and off for a few years. Thanks for all the ideas and inspiration :)
I've decided now is the time to get serious about better control, weight loss etc and have been doing 16:8 and minimal carbs for around 3 weeks now. First thing to say is that within a couple of days I saw my first EVER meter reading with a 5 at the beginning, amazing! I even saw 4.9 once! If only somebody hadn't left a big bar of caramel chocolate in the fridge that time though....
I'm wondering if anyone can advise me about meds ! I am on Metformin 1000mg twice a day and forxiga 10 once a day. I am not eating until 12 or 1 but have been taking the meds as usual with my coffee and cream around 9 am. I quite often forget the evening Metformin as I'm no longer sitting down to a big meal, or sometimes I just take 1. I am still getting fasting blood sugars of 6 or 7 though which is irritating. It is 12 o'clock now and I've just tested at 5.9, it was 6.quitealot at around 10 and I've had one cup of coffee with cream since 8pm last night. Actually I've just realised that's not true... Does Yorkshire Tea with milk in the evening make a lot of difference? Surely there can't be that many carbs in a slug of goats milk??
I kind of feel that while fasting bloods are still high I should take the meds in the morning but don't know if that is logical if I'm not eating.
Anyone got any ideas about this?
Thanks in advance
I think as long as it's under 50 calories, in some books, it's ok. It's called dirty fasting.