New to forums, unfortunately not new to diabetes

mcf99

Hello, my name is Mike. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago as type 2. I have been taking metformin and glyburide, but I have to admit, I don't do it like I am supposed to. I also don't go to the doctor like I should either. I know, I'm not a very good patient. lol I have tried eating healthier, but either the food is disgusting or too expensive. I tried eating only meat and beans for a while, that helped some, but I get tired of eating the same thing all the time. It's so hard, I love my food! haha
I try to exercise, but after working and not sleeping well, and just always out of energy... it doesn't happen.
I just feel like there's another way. Like the big pharmaceutical companies are hiding a cure or something, just so they can keep getting our business. Am I the only one that feels this way? Does anyone else think there is a hidden cure somewhere out there? I really hope this doesn't make me sound crazy, I'm really not. lol I'm just tired of dealing with this day in and day out, ya know? I was hoping that by joining a forum, I could get some insight, and maybe some new ideas of things to try. I'm tired of being tired, tired of worrying, tired of taking pills, tired of being told I can't eat all my favorite foods, etc.
Sorry if this is depressing, but it's got me down a bit right now. I really hope that joining this forum will shed some light at the end of my tunnel, I need something to look forward to!
Thank you for letting me join, and I promise I won't always be down :happy:
Hope everyone is having a great day, can't wait to get to know all of you. Looking forward to new ideas!

Reactions: 1spuds

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, my name is Mike. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago as type 2. I have been taking metformin and glyburide, but I have to admit, I don't do it like I am supposed to. I also don't go to the doctor like I should either. I know, I'm not a very good patient. lol I have tried eating healthier, but either the food is disgusting or too expensive. I tried eating only meat and beans for a while, that helped some, but I get tired of eating the same thing all the time. It's so hard, I love my food! haha
I try to exercise, but after working and not sleeping well, and just always out of energy... it doesn't happen.
I just feel like there's another way. Like the big pharmaceutical companies are hiding a cure or something, just so they can keep getting our business. Am I the only one that feels this way? Does anyone else think there is a hidden cure somewhere out there? I really hope this doesn't make me sound crazy, I'm really not. lol I'm just tired of dealing with this day in and day out, ya know? I was hoping that by joining a forum, I could get some insight, and maybe some new ideas of things to try. I'm tired of being tired, tired of worrying, tired of taking pills, tired of being told I can't eat all my favorite foods, etc.
Sorry if this is depressing, but it's got me down a bit right now. I really hope that joining this forum will shed some light at the end of my tunnel, I need something to look forward to!
Hope everyone is having a great day, can't wait to get to know all of you. Looking forward to new ideas!
Welcome. This is a great place to pick yourself up with people who have been in your shoes.

Lots of us have wrangled this thing called type 2 by changing our food. Cut the carbs (not just sugar) and enjoy the fats for energy instead. It sorts the bloods out and helps out weight, blood pressure and cholesterol (honestly!) and many find a big boost in energy. What are your favourite foods? Bacon, cheese, cream, butter? All allowed

Some links to start you off

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended, not blocks of lard high!) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

mcf99

Thank you so much for your advice, I will definitely check those links out. I have a meter, but don't check my blood regularly like I should. I need to go buy more test strips too. I would love to find a way to get off the meds completely.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, my name is Mike. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago as type 2. I have been taking metformin and glyburide.........

I just feel like there's another way. Like the big pharmaceutical companies are hiding a cure or something, just so they can keep getting our business. Am I the only one that feels this way? Does anyone else think there is a hidden cure somewhere out there?
Nice to meet you Mike,hope you stick around because this forum really does have some good ideas for us.

The 'hidden' cure for many type 2's is Low carb,High fat (LCHF) diet.However,because of your meds you will need to be working with your health care team to avoid hypoglycemia to take this approach,they will need to manage your meds to avoid that.LCHF is a very easy lifestyle to adopt,surprisingly easy.

The other hidden secret that really annoys type 2's here is home testing and the establishment telling you not to do it.You need to test immediately before eating and 2 hours after from first bite.This is the only way to find out exactly what is good for you to eat,and what is a total failure.

Those are the tricks.If you want to go this route start asking questions.Folks who are a lot more educated on the subject than I will be happy to get you up to speed.I just gave you a most basic of the basics to possibly pique your interest if you are interested.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit-LOL,HSSS has already given you a ton of tools while I typed,well done HSSS.

Reactions: Prem51

mcf99

Thank you for your advice, I will check into it for sure. That sounds like a lot of test strips! Lol I'm trying to figure out how to get this under control and I would rather listen to the people going through it, all the doctors have so many different things to say and are always contradicting each other....

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just dispel any beliefs that a cure currently exists. It doesn't.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will be a ton of strips, for a while. Most of us eat similar foods and meals though and once you’ve checked a particular meal a couple of times then you don’t need to check it again every time afterwards, maybe just once in a while. You’ll soon learn what’s good and what isn’t.

As @Mike D says it’s not a cure, but it’s **** good control for a lot of us.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @mcf99
I'm with Mike D no cure at the moment, but it is possible to use your meter to figure out a diet for yourself that can get you down to non diabetic levels and maybe ditch the meds. So almost as good as a cure.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just dispel any beliefs that a cure currently exists. It doesn't.
Whilst I agree you’re right, why so negative without context? No one promised a cure or asked for one

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The question was posed. Twice. I answered it. Quite simple really.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, welcome!
Meat and beans eh? Well, the beans weren't all that, too starchy, and dunno whether you had any variety on the meat front. I'd get bored out of my mind too! @HSSS already shared my Nutritional Thingy blog, that might help bring a little variation to your low carbing, but for the moment that's basically the only "cure" around, provided you still make your own insulin and haven't worn out your pancreas. And it's not really a cure, more a method of controlling the T2... I don't think there's a "Hey, presto, it's gone!" cure, as there are a lot of factors contributing here, but I do have a feeling the LCHF way of eating, as well as Keto, are running in a lot of resistance from Big Brother, whether pharmaceutical or from the food industry. I do hope that era's coming to an end though. And my favourite foods have rather expanded since LCHF, to be honest. Do I miss certain things? Sure. Sometimes. But I can steal a bite or two of cake or brownie if my husband wants to share (and thankfully, he does), and it's for flavour, not for hunger, that i have some. Biggest discoveries were salads (there are so many varieties, and every restaurant does 'em differently! And they're easy to toss together at home too.), avocado, and just how much I love tea, even without sugar. (Did take some getting used to though, thought it was disgusting at first.).

By the way, there's no rule that says you absolutely have to be chipper on here. Wouldn't be offering much support if being down was against forum rules eh. ;) You just be you, and we'll help if we can.
Hugs,
Jo

mcf99

Hey, welcome!
Meat and beans eh? Well, the beans weren't all that, too starchy, and dunno whether you had any variety on the meat front. I'd get bored out of my mind too! @HSSS already shared my Nutritional Thingy blog, that might help bring a little variation to your low carbing, but for the moment that's basically the only "cure" around, provided you still make your own insulin and haven't worn out your pancreas. And it's not really a cure, more a method of controlling the T2... I don't think there's a "Hey, presto, it's gone!" cure, as there are a lot of factors contributing here, but I do have a feeling the LCHF way of eating, as well as Keto, are running in a lot of resistance from Big Brother, whether pharmaceutical or from the food industry. I do hope that era's coming to an end though. And my favourite foods have rather expanded since LCHF, to be honest. Do I miss certain things? Sure. Sometimes. But I can steal a bite or two of cake or brownie if my husband wants to share (and thankfully, he does), and it's for flavour, not for hunger, that i have some. Biggest discoveries were salads (there are so many varieties, and every restaurant does 'em differently! And they're easy to toss together at home too.), avocado, and just how much I love tea, even without sugar. (Did take some getting used to though, thought it was disgusting at first.).

By the way, there's no rule that says you absolutely have to be chipper on here. Wouldn't be offering much support if being down was against forum rules eh. ;) You just be you, and we'll help if we can.
Hugs,
Jo
Thanks for your advice. I do love salads, the only problem is I really love my ranch dressing too lol and do not like the low fat or fat free. Grew up in Texas, with my sweet tea which I absolutely love, tried the unsweet... It's bearable I guess. Now we try to mostly drink the crystal light drinks.
Oreo cookies really get me too, I would always have some with a glass of milk for a snack. I really miss those lol
I am big on flavor, really don't like the bland foods. When I was having the meat and beans, I would basically have steak and pinto beans. Sometimes added Rotel to the beans. But it got old pretty quick, while my family was eating all the "good"stuff. Then we decided to try everyone eating there same, since we could all be healthier. Doesn't go over real well with all the kids hahaha
But at this point, we are kinda strapped for money and gotta go super cheap. Seems like the super cheap stuff is all the "bad" stuff. Ugh. We just hate grocery shopping anymore... We look up diabetic recipes and they put all kinds of stuff in there, and we'll be like "what the heck is that?" They use a lot of cauliflower, which I can't stand... How can you trade mashed potatoes for cauliflower?
Lately I've been working on smaller portions, no matter what it is. I'm not sure if it's that or my stress, but I've lost some weight. I guess that's good.
I really need to figure out this eating thing though, my son is headed in a bad bad direction. We think he may have an eating disorder, he's bigger than any of us have ever been... And if he's not diabetic already, I'm sure he's probably prediabetic. We have to learn how to put only good foods in the house, since he will eat and eat and eat when we are not home or sleeping. We have finally gotten him to start going on walks with us every evening after dinner, so that's a good start.
Going to be checking on some LCHF recipes today. I really appreciate everyone's advice on here, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner! Lol

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the only problem is I really love my ranch dressing too lol and do not like the low fat or fat free
If you’re going low carb then you want to avoid the low fat stuff and have the full fat dressings. Great news eh! Just avoid the carby/sugary ones.
I am big on flavor, really don't like the bland foods
Spices might be your answer here

What’s the “good stuff” you want but think you can’t eat? Maybe we can find a way

What’s being added to “diabetic” recipes that makes ou think what the heck?

I won’t lie one way to make it interesting is to try some different things that you haven’t considered before. You might be surprised how good it ends up. And don’t underestimate how much your taste buds might change once you ditch the sugary carb laden foods.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your advice. I do love salads, the only problem is I really love my ranch dressing too lol and do not like the low fat or fat free. Grew up in Texas, with my sweet tea which I absolutely love, tried the unsweet... It's bearable I guess. Now we try to mostly drink the crystal light drinks.
Oreo cookies really get me too, I would always have some with a glass of milk for a snack. I really miss those lol
I am big on flavor, really don't like the bland foods. When I was having the meat and beans, I would basically have steak and pinto beans. Sometimes added Rotel to the beans. But it got old pretty quick, while my family was eating all the "good"stuff. Then we decided to try everyone eating there same, since we could all be healthier. Doesn't go over real well with all the kids hahaha
But at this point, we are kinda strapped for money and gotta go super cheap. Seems like the super cheap stuff is all the "bad" stuff. Ugh. We just hate grocery shopping anymore... We look up diabetic recipes and they put all kinds of stuff in there, and we'll be like "what the heck is that?" They use a lot of cauliflower, which I can't stand... How can you trade mashed potatoes for cauliflower?
Lately I've been working on smaller portions, no matter what it is. I'm not sure if it's that or my stress, but I've lost some weight. I guess that's good.
I really need to figure out this eating thing though, my son is headed in a bad bad direction. We think he may have an eating disorder, he's bigger than any of us have ever been... And if he's not diabetic already, I'm sure he's probably prediabetic. We have to learn how to put only good foods in the house, since he will eat and eat and eat when we are not home or sleeping. We have finally gotten him to start going on walks with us every evening after dinner, so that's a good start.
Going to be checking on some LCHF recipes today. I really appreciate everyone's advice on here, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner! Lol
Hi again!
Steak and pinto beans.... The steak's fine, the beans are 65% carbs, so they weren't the best choice to begin with, besides bland and boring. I'm a bit of a foodie, but I can't cook. At all. ;) So I keep it simple in the kitchen. And while I really am no good at complex recipes, I do have a rather large amount of herbs and spices. No meal will ever be bland here. ;) (I'm allergic to cayenne pepper myself, but that would spice things up plenty, no?). As for how cauliflower can replace mash... Big chunks taste like cauliflower. If it's riced cauliflower (and you can just do that yourself, a whole cauliflower is cheaper than the pre-riced stuff), it'll take on whatever you flavor it with. *REAL* butter and nutmeg for instance. I have it a few times a week, often with curcuma, garlic, curry powder, pepper and salt, plus whatever gravy came off of the meat we're having, and bacon and cheese. Same thing with broccoli rice, bacon, cheese, pepper, salt, garlic and italian herbs. Very filling and tastes quite good. Meals don't have to be expensive or bland if you make 'em from scratch. (And there's 4 grams of carbs in a serving of Heinz Ranch... Which isn't too bad. Or you could halve it and mayo the rest.). In the US you put a lot of sugar/maple syrup on bacon, but if you can get it without those additives, it could/should be a daily staple. Bacon and eggs in the morning, pork scratchings as a snack for your kid, maybe some more in the evening with cauliflower (By the way, celeriac seems to be a good spud-replacer, but I never tried it that way myself.) . Sweet tea without sugar, well... You could add artificial sweeteners, but I went that route and over-did it, meaning I destroyed my gut a year ago and I'm still healing. So careful with those. I used to absolutely detest sugarless tea, but I have it all day long now. Thought it was the most disgusting, bitter thing in the world, but it just took some getting used to. Now I can't do without it.
What you're doing now is called "portion control". It works, up to a certain point.... But if you go hungry all the time, and bloodsugars are still not what you want them to be, it really is worth it to check out recipes online. I mean, yeah, a lot of them call for expensive ingredients like erythritol (worth its weight in gold and has a horrible aftertaste, unless you bake with it), coconut or almond flour, psyllium husk and whatnot... But that stuff's usually used to replace something you can't eat without a spike. If you just stick with foods that wouldn't spike you to begin with, working within a budget is a lot easier. So go with real foods. Cheese, above-ground veggies (but no legumes/pulses!), meat, fish, poultry, eggs, mayo, olives, just about every herb or spice you can think of, butter, full fat greek yoghurt, berries, nuts (not peanuts!). Meat with fat in is cheaper, (chicken with the skin on too) but it's also better on a low carb regime, plus it tastes better than the lean stuff. And when you're out and about, there's no problem asking for a bunless burger (Five Guys is awesome! But McD's caters to the bunless crowd too. And BK. You can add extra bacon and greens). Subway'll do any sub as a salad. I always double up on the meat, add bacon and guac, add sour cream... Yum! When I'm at a restaurant I'll ask for a salad but tell them to hold the bread. Some toss corn in or croutons, which is problematic, but I either eat around them or my husband steals from my plate. ;) When ordering meat, fish or poultry I ask them to keep the spuds/fries and replace with veggies or salad, and they always do, because they'd rather change the menu than throw out perfectly good food. (And the places I frequent know by now that I tip well for their trouble. And I always ask if it's okay if I'm going to be a difficult customer, with my most charming smile. Usually works. Mostly because me being charming looks ridiculous.) Or I'll go for eggs (sunny side up, omelettes with salmon and spinach, whatever), and that works just fine too. You've got options. Your family has options. So before you put everyone on a regime that's not just bland but will eventually cause scurvy, (well, not quite, but y'all would be missing nutrients at some point if you always eat the exact same thing), check out what you can eat without causing spikes... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/low-carb-budget will help too.

Like @HSSS said, throw some stuff out there that you think you have to do without. We might have some solutions. (There's such a thing called fathead pizza, but it's too much work for me... I just make an omelette base and toss the toppings on. :) Cheaper than Pizza Hut!).

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Jo

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just realised you mentioned low fat and fat free ranch dressing...

Fats are good.
Really. Fats are a blood glucose flatline, they don't spike you. And what doesn't spike you, doesn't add on the pounds. Protein impacts blood sugars a little. Carbs make them go nuts. So hug the full fat variety of just about anything. Bacon, avocado, butter, full fat cream, full fat cheeses.... Those things keep you feeling full rather than being hungry all the time, you get your macronutrients (vitamins and minderals) and they won't mess up your bloodglucose. It's win-win-win all the way. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How can you trade mashed potatoes for cauliflower?
By adding lots of butter or melted cheese! :) I didn't like cauliflower, or most vegetables really but adding butter or cheese helped me to eat them, and now I quite like them, even cauliflower!
Another alternative to potato for mash is celeriac if that is available where you are. It does taste a bit like celery, which some like, but I would still need to add lots of butter or cheese.