Stuggling Pre Diabetic

Bennettwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am hoping that someone here can reassure me that I am doing the right things for my Pre Diabetes. Firstly, the diagnosis came as a complete shock. I am 71, no history of Diabetes in my family, BMI of 24.9. I immediately set upon a LCHF diet and 8 weeks later, feel that I sort of have my sugar intake under control. However, I am still feeling tired (no energy), emotional, anxious with the most terrible brain fog.....I can hardly string two words together, which, for me, is unheard of! My doctor referred me to a Diabetes Prevention Programme and I was contacted by them and made four appointments over four weeks with them. Then last week, I got a phone call the day before my first appointment, cancelling it and all the subsequent appointments, as the programme has now been outsourced by the NHS to a private company and I have to wait for them to contact me to rearrange. I have no idea how I am doing in terms of my blood sugar levels. The doctor said he didn't need to see me again until December, all I have is a very good friend to support me and this amazing website and forum. Any advice or reassurrance would be welcome. Thank you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am hoping that someone here can reassure me that I am doing the right things for my Pre Diabetes. Firstly, the diagnosis came as a complete shock. I am 71, no history of Diabetes in my family, BMI of 24.9. I immediately set upon a LCHF diet and 8 weeks later, feel that I sort of have my sugar intake under control. However, I am still feeling tired (no energy), emotional, anxious with the most terrible brain fog.....I can hardly string two words together, which, for me, is unheard of! My doctor referred me to a Diabetes Prevention Programme and I was contacted by them and made four appointments over four weeks with them. Then last week, I got a phone call the day before my first appointment, cancelling it and all the subsequent appointments, as the programme has now been outsourced by the NHS to a private company and I have to wait for them to contact me to rearrange. I have no idea how I am doing in terms of my blood sugar levels. The doctor said he didn't need to see me again until December, all I have is a very good friend to support me and this amazing website and forum. Any advice or reassurrance would be welcome. Thank you.
Hi @Bennettwoman , and welcome!

First thing to do: Get yourself a blood glucose monitor. You want to know what your bloods are doing, and knowledge is just a finger prick away. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If you see a rise of more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could handle. Can you tell us what an average day looks like for you, food wise? A lot of people follow LCHF and don't realise cereal's high in carbs, or apples, etc... So it's usually worth it to go over the current diet. As for no energy, are you eating enough fats? You could be experiencing carb/keto-flu, but it's lasting a bit long if that is what it is... So here's another question for you: have you been put on statins when diagnosed, or changed to different statins? Because they can really, really mess up your head (Not strange when you know a brain needs cholesterol and even produces its own!) and muscles/joints, cause fatigue and whatnot. So if you got diagnosed and put on statins, that could be the culprit right there. Also, on LCHF your cholesterol can go up for a bit, but that's the cholesterol that was already there, stored in your liver. As you lose weight on the diet that gets released into the bloodstream on the way out. So don't panic if you get a little higher eh, it'll come down again.

In any case, you did the right thing going LCHF... It got me off of all medication in three months, and I've been in the normal range for almost three years now. So it works. Not just for me, but for thousands of members here. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is my own little quick-start guide, bu if you haven't read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code yet, that might be a good next stop. Dietdoctor.com too. :)

You'll be okay. Your first steps in the wondrous world of T2 were the correct ones.
Jo

Reactions: Prem51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You really should not feel like you are as you are only prediabetic so no reason for it Maybe you went into the LCHF to much to soon which can cause something they call carb flu like withdrawal symptoms. Better to do it slowly cutting down and cutting out things slowly before you stop completely If you go on feeling like you do I think you should see your doctor as something else may be going on to make you feel like you do

Bennettwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies (sorry for the late response; I have been away). I am actually feeling a lot better this past week! I haven't sourced a meter yet but am researching them at the mo. Maintaining the LCHF diet is proving to be easier than I thought it would be, as it includes all the foods I love! I have cut down my bread intake to half a slice a day with butter as I was noticing that I was getting hungrier having a whole slice! My steady weight loss is continuing with another .2 of a kilo lost last week. I have a feeling that the tiredness and brain fog was due to too many carbs during a 5 day trip to France last month. Even though I thought I was managing quite well, I did have chips and pizza one night, croissant for breakfast each morning and a couple of beers each night! Lesson learned :)

Breakfast: Muesli (no dried fruit!)+walnuts+seeds+Greek yoghurt+2 strawberries+full fat milk
Lunch: Salad of leaves, 1 cherry tomato, 3 slices cucumber, half avocado, slice cheese, hard boiled egg, wite wine vinegar, olive oil, half a slice of wholemeal bread with butter. 2 dessert spoons Great yoghurt few chopped nuts, tea.

Dinner: fish/vegeburger/vege sausage in a bolognaise sauce, salad, dessert spoon brown rice, or 1 small new potato. 2 strawberries with double cream or Greek yoghurt, chopped nuts.
Snacks: a few almonds, 2 squares of 85% chocolate once a week.

Drinks: Tea with whole milk, no sugar, water, red wine 3 glasses 2 or 3 times a week.

No cake/biscuits/pies/pudding!

What do you think?

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Rachox has good info on meters.
Good to hear you are feeling brighter.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox has good info on meters.
Good to hear you are feeling brighter.
Thanks for the tag @Diakat
Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)