UK Cauliflower shortages

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the heads up...but it is only a small example of the next 12 months shortage of all veg through the winter especially!

D

Deleted member 308541

Start by stockpiling it in the freezer seems a logical thing to do, if you must eat cauliflower rice etc..

Cut into bit's, blanch, freeze, rinse and repeat... :D

Reactions: kazam401

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would seem, according to @PenguinMum that there will be several, if not many veg shortages. I hope she comes back with more info : (
It seems logical to me that if we have a no deal Brexit it will take some time for veg from abroad to come through and of course it will no longer be tariff free so I am thinking of peppers from Spain, winter tomatoes from Europe, cucumbers, lettuce and other things from Europe that the UK cant provide in the winter months. Of course weather permitting cauli, brocolli, sprouts, and many root veg should continue to be available.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems logical to me that if we have a no deal Brexit it will take some time for veg from abroad to come through and of course it will no longer be tariff free so I am thinking of peppers from Spain, winter tomatoes from Europe, cucumbers, lettuce and other things from Europe that the UK cant provide in the winter months. Of course weather permitting cauli, brocolli, sprouts, and many root veg should continue to be available.
Right, so your comment about shortages generally are concerning political events, whereas mine are about actual shortages of availability all over Europe.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about spouts? I remember they tasted good in a stir fry. I've had broccoli rice too, I think it doesn't have that same texture as cauliflower but nonetheless that is also nice too.
Diced mushrooms isn't too bad either - if you like it with mince or extra veg, it's very good too and bad in curries.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, so your comment about shortages generally are concerning political events, whereas mine are about actual shortages of availability all over Europe.
Your post was about a shortage of a particular veg so it shouldnt matter if that is caused by climate or political reasons.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Start by stockpiling it in the freezer seems a logical thing to do, if you must eat cauliflower rice etc..

That's a sure way to create a shortage!:D

ETA I seem to remember a previous similar threat of cauliflower shortages - article from the Sun (via Google) indicates it was last year...

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The shortage of cauliflowers is to do with the rain in Lincolnshire in June. It affected the produce in the ground and the soil for future plantings. It is also going to have an impact on cabbage, all other brassicas and sprouts. They have been unable to replace from abroad due to the heatwave affecting their goods. Proving their needs to be balance in food production. Meat and crops.

Reactions: Mbaker and WuTwo

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The rain might have had an adverse effect on brassicas but it has had the opposite effect on courgettes. Neighbours are now hiding when they see me in case I try to give away any more. In the shops supply and demand only seems to work one way, shortage and prices go up, bumper harvest and prices stay the same.

Reactions: TriciaWs and jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
There is always problems in the UK with our weather, it's either, especially in 'summer time', so dry, hot and parched, or more likely rain, rain and more rain and we get through it.