Milk

D

Deleted member 308541

My hubby eat wholegrain cereals,like basic one,we wanna change milk
I have not purchased milk to drink for a very long time, not because it was bad for me but I preferred not to drink it at the time, but I would prefer to drink milk than eat wholemeal or plain cereals as there is far less carbs to worry about.

I see people mentioning rewards / treats in this thread, a good feed of bacon and eggs for breakfast is a treat after night shift.

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not purchased milk to drink for a very long time, not because it was bad for me but I preferred not to drink it at the time, but I would prefer to drink milk than eat wholemeal or plain cereals as there is far less carbs to worry about.

I see people mentioning rewards / treats in this thread, a good feed of bacon and eggs for breakfast is a treat after night shift.
A full English with bacon and eggs but no toast, is my typical lunch at work. Often washed down with a 200ml glass of full fat milk.

D

Deleted member 308541

A full English with bacon and eggs but no toast, is my typical lunch at work. Often washed down with a 200ml glass of full fat milk.
When I was working shift work at the mines in Mt Isa, I used to get bacon and egg burgers from the BSD shop just out side the security gate. They were one of favourites if I never took anything in to eat.

As for the milk, when I first went to Mt Isa was during the wet season and floods pf 1973 / 74, so the milk trains /trucks were held up. The milk came from Malanda and was at the time (1974) was the longest milk run in the world to Mt Isa and also to Weipa and Darwin.

Reactions: Listlad

Wojo38

He try to eat eggs and bacon and fats,but that mean my son will also eat that with him.that is a lot for 8 year old.we will figure it out,i need stop moaning heh
Is rice noodles bad?I done stir fry with it and blood was high like 280!but we check it like 40 min after he eat,so question is why it has to be 2h after?is it always so high even in healthy person,and it dropes after 2h?his body try to manage after meal badly. I though that pasta is not flour but rice and it sbould be okish but it wasnt.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He try to eat eggs and bacon and fats,but that mean my son will also eat that with him.that is a lot for 8 year old.we will figure it out,i need stop moaning heh
Is rice noodles bad?I done stir fry with it and blood was high like 280!but we check it like 40 min after he eat,so question is why it has to be 2h after?is it always so high even in healthy person,and it dropes after 2h?his body try to manage after meal badly. I though that pasta is not flour but rice and it sbould be okish but it wasnt.

You have to read the food packaging. Rice noodles are high in carbs too. At 40 mins, I’m assuming thats when your body starts to digest the food. In a non diabetic person, their blood sugars spikes and then comes back down because of their insulin response. In a case of a diabetic, we spike and continue spiking, thats what diabetes is: it is high blood sugars. So we’ll remain high for some time.
Pasta is flour, same with noodles. Rice isn’t flour but contains carbs as well.
You can take low carb slowly, by reducing the carbs and adding more meat or vegetables. Then from there work on further reductions and replacing it with something else. Along with testing before and 2hours after food. If you keep a food diary, you can document what is in and what is out, also what works and doesn’t work.

Reactions: Prem51 and Wojo38

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have food scales, you can weigh your carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes, crisps, chips, sauces etc and slowly reduce it.

M

Member496333

Cereal is basically dessert for breakfast. The single biggest con in all of human history. Some of the stuff Kelloggs sell...well you're probably better off with a Mars bar and a pint of Coke. Cow's milk is the least of your problems if you're pouring it on regular cereals for breakfast.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont touch either.... cerials are rubbish despite the healthy hype and milk ?..well i treat hypos with semi skimmed such is my response to it! I cant drink even skimmed in decaf ...up my bg goes .. a glug of semi and 5 mins and im up.Everyone is differant .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is an excellent choice for your son - my children ate such foods and they are tall and slender - they had mushrooms, tomatoes and other low carb food from plants as well.
Foods from grains, rice wheat oats barley are all high carb and will raise blood glucose. The advice to test two hours after starting to eat is just to standardize the procedure when comparing meals.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you manage to cook with what seems like a busy life? As well as what others have suggested, Just wondering if something which can be prepared in advance might be useful. I quite often make pastry less quiche which would work as a breakfast, this could be made in the evening so that it just needs microwaving when your husband gets in from work, and could be made in sufficient quantities to last more than one meal. Similarly there are frittatas I make mackerel frittatas which are quite tasty. Also if you are adventurous, why not try making some home made keto granola with seeds and nuts, which can be eaten with full fat yoghurt, or there are keto granola bars which could be made and kept for breakfast or snacks or perhaps keto coconut pancakes? All low carb, just google for the recipes. Just a thought.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have full fat milk with my tea and coffee as there are less carbs in it than the lower fat ones. I can always find it in the fridge at work as it’s the only one with a blue top!

Reactions: lucylocket61

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had either full fat or semi-skimed milk but I have tried the others that are out there and I can't get away with them either in tea or in cereal or by itself so I just go by full fat milk and that way I am able to have on my stomach and it doesn't upset it and if I go to hospital I have to tell them that I have to have full milk and sugar in my tea and that I get even though I am not allowed but I don't care and it keeps my sugars up but not to high and as for drinking it by it's self I can do

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had either full fat or semi-skimed milk but I have tried the others that are out there and I can't get away with them either in tea or in cereal or by itself so I just go by full fat milk and that way I am able to have on my stomach and it doesn't upset it and if I go to hospital I have to tell them that I have to have full milk and sugar in my tea and that I get even though I am not allowed but I don't care and it keeps my sugars up but not to high and as for drinking it by it's self I can do
Whole milk 4.7g per 100ml, semi-skimmed 4.8g per 100ml so not really any difference.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking to a Type 1 guy today he said a glass of milk sends his blood sugar reading through the roof.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jersey Milk per 100ml

Fat 4.9g
Carbs 4.6g
Protein 3.8g