low carb vegan cake recipe needed

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
We have friends coming round for a meal to celebrate my son's birthday and I would like to make a cake that everyone can enjoy.(in moderation :) ) One of our guests is prediabetic and I have type 2. Please can anyone share a recipe that you use to make a sponge cake that can be iced. As we don't eat meat, fish or egg-s a vegan keto cake would seem to be the best choice, but I am no expert . I haven't found anything online with metric measurements. If you have any 'tried ansd tested' recipes I would love to see them. I have read about different sweetenders like stevia, xylitol etc and flours e.g coconut and almond, but really don't know which to use as I haven't baked anything since my diagnosis and trying to lose weight. Any recommendations would help me a lot. Thanks.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was about to suggest this one but it has eggs in it :(
I was just looking at the recipe. It looks delicious in the photo- shame about the eggs (for me anyway).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This one has eggs in it, but I understand that there are standard ways to replace eggs in a recipe to make them vegan, so if you fancy this one, or another one you could have a great at the egg replacement ideas (see links).

https://www.pccmarkets.com/taste/2013-03/egg_substitutes/

https://www.cakestoday.co.uk/3-more...x1fNymBU4xtwNDy3IlkBV6dS_d2pwjBoaAja5EALw_wcB

34DD48B6-E38B-4994-9A1C-4AA41369B01E.png

Reactions: Guna108

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spice cake recipe. Spices can be toned down for kids, but who doesn’t love cinnamon cake?

I use Swerve powdered sugar and bocha sweet or erythritol and the net carbs are well under 10 per serving. Tons of great desserts on this site, with a low carb option for many if you sub erythritol, or my favorite of bocha sweet:

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2018/12/13/spice-cake-recipe/

Reactions: Marie 2 and Guna108

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
Do share your cake recipe and the outcomes, will be helpful to others.
Birthday wishes for your son :)

Reactions: Guna108

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do share your cake recipe and the outcomes, will be helpful to others.
Birthday wishes for your son :)
Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I'll try and take a photo along with posting the recipe.

Reactions: JohnyT2

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Marie 2

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was the cake I made for my son's birthday meal. I had to adjust the recipe I used from here. It was quite a rich cake and 'heavy', but everyone liked it. Here is the recipe: 1/4 cup cocoa, 3 cups coconut flour, 1/2 cup xylitol powder, 3 tbsp coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups water. 3 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp baking powder, 3 tsp Orgran egg replacer. Beat with an electric whisk. Put in preheated oven for 50 minutes at 180 C.
I couldn't find my piping bag, so the cream was kind of slapped on!

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnyT2