Type 2 Test Strips and lancets

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
I've just gone to order my monthly prescription and all my lancets and tests strips have completely vanished from the order page. Obviously, I cannot contact the surgery until Monday, but has this happened to anyone else/ My insulin is still on there, as too are my other medications. Seems a bit strange, but I'm sure I have seen that people are having their test strips stopped or limited for whatever reason/

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're on insulin then your test strips should not be stopped at all - you'll need to talk to your surgery on Monday - it's possible that the web site is having problems or someone at your doctors has removed them thinking you don't need them (most T2's not on insulin do not get them prescribed), either way you'll need to talk to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dabbit

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
Thank you. I am on insulin, taking five jabs a day. I guess I was getting confused with T2 not on insulin as you mention. I will certainly ring them, as it is they cut them from 100 strips to 50

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
've just gone to order my monthly prescription and all my lancets and tests strips have completely vanished from the order page. Obviously, I cannot contact the surgery until Monday, but has this happened to anyone else/ My insulin is still on there, as too are my other medications. Seems a bit strange, but I'm sure I have seen that people are having their test strips stopped or limited for whatever reason/

I also had lancets missed off repeat prescription last month, but when I checked it was an error between the GP's and Pharmacy. They also missed off the needles for the Humulin Pen. The receptionist didn't seem to understand that you need a needle to use a Pen. I did ask her if perhaps I was expected to drink it now?

Now I order on-line which seems less problematic.

All was sorted out - I am sure yours will be the same.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I am on insulin, taking five jabs a day. I guess I was getting confused with T2 not on insulin as you mention. I will certainly ring them, as it is they cut them from 100 strips to 50

Dabbit, do NOT let them get away with only prescribing you 50 at a time, is that for a month????? If you are taking 5 jabs a day, that is 5 strips needed never mind the ones you need to use before driving or when you feel low or whatever. That's around at least 6/7 a day, so 50 odd a WEEK. When I was first diagnosed they gave me 50 at a time, at my surgery you had to order at least 3 days in advance meaning I was in there re ordering around every 2/3 days! After speaking directly with the Dr they started giving me 200 at a time which then went up to 300 a month. They simply cannot refuse to give you as many strips as you require provided of course you are not ordering excessively which might imply you are selling them or something. Be firm, tell them straight. Not to mention it is dangerous for you without any, what are you doing?, giving yourself insulin without knowing what your level is at? I wouldn't be waiting until Monday, I'd be dialling 111 for advice or if getting nowhere I would buy some from the pharmacy to last me til Monday then giving them merry hell. x

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
Thankfully upon ringing the surgery, they said they don't put test strips or lancets on repeat (which is odd as I have been re-ordering them for the last xx amount of years). However she did say they if I leave a note they would add them to my order, and they increased my strips to 100!

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same thing happen to me, they only give 50 at a time and that’s meaning needing to order frequently which is just not realistic

Reactions: ChrissiStar

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same thing happen to me, they only give 50 at a time and that’s meaning needing to order frequently which is just not realistic

I’m having exactly this problem with my gp practice just now, 50 at a time, apart from one prescription when they finally gave me 150. The cherry on the cake was on Thursday night when I went to collect my prescription from Boots and was told they had my insulin but couldn’t order my test strips as they have never had them in stock. Cue absolute confusion from me as I always collect my prescriptions from that branch of Boots and apart from them once not having stock I have never had a problem. Then the pharmacy assistant said the name of them, nope they aren’t what I use and cue the bag coming out the handbag to show them what I actually use, at this point another pharmacy assistant recognised me (I’m obviously a frequent flyer) and checked my records, yes totally the wrong strips ordered and only for 50 yet again, but this isn’t the worst part. The doctor had also kindly put them on a private prescription that I would have had to pay for! Luckily Boots had the correct ones in stock and arranged two boxes for me and when I spoke to the pharmacist as he was checking them even he couldn’t understand what had happened! Needless to say I got home and placed another online repeat order with my practice with a pleading note attached begging for the correct strips and more than 50 at a time as I am intensively testing right now, I also added that I was far from impressed with 50 of the wrong strips being put on a private prescription as well, so we’ll see what happens next time I visit Boots, will it be correct? How many strips will I get? Who knows?