T2D improving but stalled - Help required

Martin100

Hi - First post so hope it's in the right place for someone to see it!

Starting with the positives I have reduced all the main measures over the last 2 years.

Weight down from 96Kg to 79Kg
HBa1C down from 67 to 51

I have achieved this mainly through Low carb, some intermittent fasting and trying to walk every day if possible.

My problem is these results have not improved at all in the last 6 months, though I am due more tests in the next two weeks.

I cannot work out what else I need to do to get to the point where I would be classed as in remission.

Taking BS measures randomly is more confusing than helpful. Typically during the day at the end of a 14-16hr fast I record between 7.0 and 8.5, before i've even eaten anything. I try and eat between 12pm and 8pm as often as I can. I very occasionally see measurements in the 6s.

Alcohol is not a consideration as I have been teetotal all my life and never smoked.

Any avenues worth pursuing would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food diary for a week logging and weighing everything so you can see exactly what your carb intake is like?
Maybe having something fatty at the start of the day like a coffee with cream may help with the dawn phenomenon?
Measure bloods before eating then 2 hours after first bite to monitor effects of food as well as foot on the floor fasting measure.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Martin100

Food diary for a week logging and weighing everything so you can see exactly what your carb intake is like?
Maybe having something fatty at the start of the day like a coffee with cream may help with the dawn phenomenon?
Measure bloods before eating then 2 hours after first bite to monitor effects of food as well as foot on the floor fasting measure.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't keep a diary but I do measure carbs and it is usually between 20 and 50g per day. VERY occasionally more but not ridiculously so.

I am a tea drinker, can't stand coffee, but thanks for the suggestion. If I don't fast on any day it's usually eggs in some form to start the day.

What do you mean by "a foot on the floor fasting measure?"

Thanks

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Martin100 if you can afford it and are willing to spend the cash, you might consider a Freestyle Libre glucose monitor at around £46 a pop from Asda pharmacy for 10 days of monitoring.
As long as you have a compatible mobile phone with NFC to activate and read the sensor.

Plenty of information about it around this site.

It can give you a very clear understanding of what is happening to your BG levels (but not necessarily why).

The trends are (IMHO) more informative than finger pricks because they show what is going on when you are not finger pricking.

Sometimes you can get higher than expected HbA1c because your pre-meal and 2 hours after testing doesn't catch all the spikes.

Also, strange things can happen overnight when you are asleep and not testing.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Martin100

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.

I don't keep a diary but I do measure carbs and it is usually between 20 and 50g per day. VERY occasionally more but not ridiculously so.

I am a tea drinker, can't stand coffee, but thanks for the suggestion. If I don't fast on any day it's usually eggs in some form to start the day.

What do you mean by "a foot on the floor fasting measure?"

Thanks
Measuring your fasting blood sugar as soon as you get up for a consistency of timing.
My morning routine is get up, pee, weigh, then measure BG every day in that order.

Martin100

@Martin100 if you can afford it and are willing to spend the cash, you might consider a Freestyle Libre glucose monitor at around £46 a pop from Asda pharmacy for 10 days of monitoring.
As long as you have a compatible mobile phone with NFC to activate and read the sensor.

Plenty of information about it around this site.

It can give you a very clear understanding of what is happening to your BG levels (but not necessarily why).

The trends are (IMHO) more informative than finger pricks because they show what is going on when you are not finger pricking.

Sometimes you can get higher than expected HbA1c because your pre-meal and 2 hours after testing doesn't catch all the spikes.

Also, strange things can happen overnight when you are asleep and not testing.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks I've looked at the Freestyle Libre and my phone is not compatible but my wife's phone may be so will check it out again.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - First post so hope it's in the right place for someone to see it!

Starting with the positives I have reduced all the main measures over the last 2 years.

Weight down from 96Kg to 79Kg
HBa1C down from 67 to 51

I have achieved this mainly through Low carb, some intermittent fasting and trying to walk every day if possible.

My problem is these results have not improved at all in the last 6 months, though I am due more tests in the next two weeks.

I cannot work out what else I need to do to get to the point where I would be classed as in remission.

Taking BS measures randomly is more confusing than helpful. Typically during the day at the end of a 14-16hr fast I record between 7.0 and 8.5, before i've even eaten anything. I try and eat between 12pm and 8pm as often as I can. I very occasionally see measurements in the 6s.

Alcohol is not a consideration as I have been teetotal all my life and never smoked.

Any avenues worth pursuing would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

I find eating breakfast and a late lunch and skipping dinner has really helped my stubborn levels. I was having dinner to he sociable but found it better and easier to skip. BG levels really dipped after realising that. Having my two eggs for breakfast seems to stop the rising levels during the day too. Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what meds you are on and your current BMI. You've done a good job so far and the figures are not bad.

Martin100

Hi. Can you let us know what meds you are on and your current BMI. You've done a good job so far and the figures are not bad.
HI

I do not take any meds at all and when metformin was suggested on diagnosis my GP supported me in giving low carb a go first. So no meds taken now or ever.

BMI is 27.5

My GP and practice nurse are happy with my level of control but it's me that wants further improvement!

I'm due my next Diabetes check in the next 2 weeks so hoping for further improvements.