Recently diagnosed and awaiting antibodies result. Can anyone help?

Robertuk

Just recently told I have diabetes however awaiting antibodies results to determine the type. I’ve been tracking my glucose levels and they’ve been 12.0 min up to 18.6 however the average I see is at least 15.0. Just wondering is this considered high and does anyone have any input or similar experience to prepare for what result to expect?

As far as my day to day goes I’ve went from energetic to so fatigued, exhausted, sleepy, severe thirst and constant dizziness that I struggle to get anything done. I’ve been on 4 tabs of metformin for 9 days and trying to tough out the side effects of sore stomachs however have been told I will be getting another tablet to coincide with the metformin while I await the results. The tablet to be introduced is gliclazide as the metformin apparently isn’t cutting it.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine and has an opinion on what type to expect.

Thanks in advance.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Robertuk

Metformin is a drug that, according to its own leaflet, shouldn't be given until a patient has tried at least 3 months of dieting, and it was unsuccessful..... I'm guessing, like the bulk of us, you were put straight on at the moment of diagnosis? Metformin doesn't do anything about what you eat. The liver dumps glucose in the morning especially, to get you started, (It's called Dawn Phenomenon) and that is the only thing metformin is good for: it reduces the amount of glucose your liver pumps into your system by up to 75%.

So... Yes, your numbers are high, but I'm guessing no-one talked to you about carbs...? Practically all carbohydrates, so that's not just sugars, but starches too, turn to glucose once ingested. Odds are you're still eating bread, potatoes, rice, corn, cereals, fruit and whatnot? Because those things drive your levels up. (It's nice that they're on the EatWell plate and all, but that thing doesn't account for metabolic disorders, and that's what we've got).

Obviously you have a meter, so you're off to a good start. Have a read here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ that should help. As would dietdoctor.com, and this forum's website diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!). Also, Dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code is extremely informative, about the condition as well as how to treat it. You can get your levels down without escalating to heavier drugs, if you turn out to be a T2. My glucose levels were higher at diagnosis, actually. And I dropped all diabetes meds (and statins) soon after changing my diet. Have been in the normal range ever since, which is almost three years now.

You're going to be okay. And if your antibody tests come back negative, there's no reason you can't do what I did, and many, many members here with me.

Good luck!
Jo

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just recently told I have diabetes however awaiting antibodies results to determine the type. I’ve been tracking my glucose levels and they’ve been 12.0 min up to 18.6 however the average I see is at least 15.0. Just wondering is this considered high and does anyone have any input or similar experience to prepare for what result to expect?

As far as my day to day goes I’ve went from energetic to so fatigued, exhausted, sleepy, severe thirst and constant dizziness that I struggle to get anything done. I’ve been on 4 tabs of metformin for 9 days and trying to tough out the side effects of sore stomachs however have been told I will be getting another tablet to coincide with the metformin while I await the results. The tablet to be introduced is gliclazide as the metformin apparently isn’t cutting it.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine and has an opinion on what type to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Robert,

Your numbers are quite high, although mine were in a similar position when I was first diagnosed at the end of May this year. I now have them down to between 5 and 8, and they are now stabilising and coming down more as each week goes by.

For a long time like you I had been suffering from extreme tiredness, drinking nearly two litres of cola a day and going to the loo all the time. I was also dizzy and unbalanced at times and my feet were burning all the time. I felt really rough and thought I was the only one suffering these symptoms. I soon realised after joining this site that it is very common at the onset.

Now. the highest readings that I am getting is in the morning. Today it was 7.3. - Dawn Phenomenon.

The first thing that I did after diagnosis was be very strict towards myself. Out went all of the sugar in my tea and coffee which I loved. Cakes, pastries, chocolate and fizzy drinks went completely out of the window. I then came here and learnt as much as I could about carbs. I reduced my intake of Potatoes, rice and pasta and ate a lot more healthily. I also started a gentle exercise routine each day. I am learning more each day.

Having done all of that I expected to see a sudden drop in my numbers. It didn't happen, but has been a gradual process over nearly three months. As my numbers have come down, I no longer have that great thirst or urge to go the loo all of the time and I no longer feel so tired or exhausted. As each week goes by, I feel better in myself and you will to.

Also as my sugar levels have come down, I have been through periods where my eyesight became very blurry. This can be expected as the levels come down but will become normal again. Just something you may want to be prepared for. Hopefully it won't happen to you.

It may not feel like it at the moment but their is a light at the end of the tunnel. You are experiencing what many of us have been through and it is very scary and worrying.

You have just started your journey and I wish you well with it. Stay with this site and you will get so much help and support from others who have been there.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Robertuk has your doctor said when you can expect the results back?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like it's worth you being tested for T1. Metformin never does much for BS and the Slow Release version is much kinder on the bowels; do ask for that type if the problem continues. GP place too much faith in Metformin. I was on Gliclazide for may years before insulin. It will almost certainly reduce your BS a lot and you need to watch the dosage to avoid a hypo. Having BS below the 20s is OK short term. I went into the 30s for while and didn't have a DKA but it must have been close. Keep the carbs down whilst awaiting the results. Be aware that the antibody test (GAD) can sometimes produce a negative result even though your pancreas is declining. If so ask for the C-peptide test if the GP isn't already doing that. It's good that they are doing something as mine didn't do any tests at all.

Robertuk

Wow thanks guys. Wasn’t expecting this level of support back so soon. Carb intake is something I’m trying to watch right now but it’s very scary how little GP’s get involved or aren’t on their game with this. I was told if the antibodies test comes back negative then the next thing will be the C-peptide test. My goal is to get like all of you the numbers down and hopefully be meds free through lifestyle change but was just worried about the numbers and which type it was more leaning towards but I guess it doesn’t really work like that. Thanks again for all the comments as it’s great to see there’s a dedicated place for support and to ask questions without feeling dumb.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Mark.taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was type 2 for a few years my sugar levels was between 14-20 daily made me feel fatigued all the time i was put on toujeo insulin one jab every 24 hours still didn't help even upping the dose quite considerably then had bloods done to find out im type 1 diabetic now i have to inject 4 times a day and still take my toujeo every 24 hours hopefully this will lower my sugar levels

Robertuk

I was type 2 for a few years my sugar levels was between 14-20 daily made me feel fatigued all the time i was put on toujeo insulin one jab every 24 hours still didn't help even upping the dose quite considerably then had bloods done to find out im type 1 diabetic now i have to inject 4 times a day and still take my toujeo every 24 hours hopefully this will lower my sugar levels

Thanks for sharing. Did you have bloods done at diagnosis or were you just told based on your symptoms? How were you feeling with the treatment you were receiving for type 2 was it just not making any difference?

Mark.taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing. Did you have bloods done at diagnosis or were you just told based on your symptoms? How were you feeling with the treatment you were receiving for type 2 was it just not making any difference?

I was tired all the time thirst levels was high i was drinking alot and urinating alot of glucose out. Was put on folic acid to help kidneys thats when they did the antibodies blood test which took around 7 weeks to come back. My metformin was 2000mg per day before the insulin and wasnt doing anythin to bring my count down