Diabetes and increased oxidative stress

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
This is an important area that is seldom discussed in this forum.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
From the info I gathered, higher blood glucose level correlated with higher oxidative stress. It is a crucial stage in all pathological pathways including diabetes. Oxidative stress damaged cells, including those lining the blood vessels to cause narrowing and loss of elasticity.

On the other hand in order to have a tighter control on blood glucose level, some avoid fruits which contain significant carb yet they are likely the best source of natural antioxidants, this may cause them to miss out on the benefits of these powerful free radical neutralizers.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some avoid fruits which contain significant carb yet they are likely the best source of natural antioxidants,

But by cutting out carbs of all kinds we avoid oxidative stress and thus the requirement for the anti-oxidants?
If you don't take in the poison then you don't need the antidote? Just my 2p.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the info I gathered, higher blood glucose level correlated with higher oxidative stress. It is a crucial stage in all pathological pathways including diabetes. Oxidative stress damaged cells, including those lining the blood vessels to cause narrowing and loss of elasticity.

On the other hand in order to have a tighter control on blood glucose level, some avoid fruits which contain significant carb yet they are likely the best source of natural antioxidants, this may cause them to miss out on the benefits of these powerful free radical neutralizers.

Hi @millenium,

Genuinely interested. Do fruits contain more antioxidants than vegetables? Do you have any info on that?

M

Member496333

But by cutting out carbs of all kinds we avoid oxidative stress and thus the requirement for the anti-oxidants?

I am no expert on this matter by any means, but coincidentally, I was listening to a podcast a few days ago and the host/guest was of the opinion that most fruit/plant antioxidants actually increase oxidative stress, but that as a response the body releases its own antioxidants to counter. Kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul? Or something like that.

I have probably got the details wrong, but their explanation of how it works was definitely contrary to orthodox opinion. That doesn't mean it's correct of course, but it wouldnt be the first time in nutrition science that the truth was the polar opposite of accepted fact. It may have been Paul Saladino, who obviously has an anti-plant bias so that should also be considered.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I think it depends on the fruit... raspberries, blueberries are good examples, but no point in eating high glucose/fructose fruits for obvious reasons.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is all far too complex for intervention. Fortunately the human body is very good at managing it's own internal systems so I just give it the tools with a varied diet and let it get on with it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I am no expert on this matter by any means, but coincidentally, I was listening to a podcast a few days ago and the host/guest was of the opinion that most fruit/plant antioxidants actually increase oxidative stress, but that as a response the body releases its own antioxidants to counter. Kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul? Or something like that.

I have probably got the details wrong, but their explanation of how it works was definitely contrary to orthodox opinion. That doesn't mean it's correct of course, but it wouldnt be the first time in nutrition science that the truth was the polar opposite of accepted fact. It may have been Paul Saladino, who obviously has an anti-plant bias so that should also be considered.

I like the guy, but he is hardcore carnivore in his approach to the diet. Not nuts, no diary if I remember right. I think I watched him being interviewed by Ivor Cummin's on a podcast.

M

Member496333

I like the guy, but he is hardcore carnivore in his approach to the diet. Not nuts, no diary if I remember right. I think I watched him being interviewed by Ivor Cummin's on a podcast.

Yeah that's the fellow. Totally hardcore. I'm not far behind him at the moment, but I do still consume some dairy. It's worth noting that Saladino shuns dairy mainly because he's allergic to it and it gives him eczema. I am planning to try a dairy-free month sometime soon just for kicks & giggles, but I'm waiting for a month beginning with D so it sounds catchy.

Anyway, back on topic...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that's the fellow. Totally hardcore. I'm not far behind him at the moment, but I do still consume some dairy. It's worth noting that Saladino shuns dairy mainly because he's allergic to it and it gives him eczema. I am planning to try a dairy-free month sometime soon just for kicks & giggles, but I'm waiting for a month beginning with D so it sounds catchy.

Anyway, back on topic...

Blimey Jim, what does that leave you with? Raw liver???? x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is all far too complex for intervention. Fortunately the human body is very good at managing it's own internal systems so I just give it the tools with a varied diet and let it get on with it.

Best comment of all Mr Pot! We can minimise certain 'poisons/toxins' by adopting a certain lifestyle but some things just happen and I reckon our bodies (mostly) adapt and compromise along the way.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Wasn't there a little study that showed that coffee was a really rich source of antioxidants as well? To the scale of fruit in comparison?

mr_cat

There was a doco on the beeb a few months ago about supplements that found increased use of antioxidants actually increased the prevalence of cancer.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wasn't there a little study that showed that coffee was a really rich source of antioxidants as well? To the scale of fruit in comparison?
Yea! means I can up my coffee intake from 20 mugs of espresso to 30 and never rust. Life is good!