Diet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an ultrasound of my liver and pancreas and was told they looked perfectly normal which confused my endo no end. I can’t afford to lose any weight.

Have you seen a report following this ultra sound? I always ask to be copied in to reports and letters from hospitals to my GP. They are far more useful than someone saying they "look normal". What is normal?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I lost a fair bit of weight when I was first diagnosed. and it's remained pretty stable for the last five years, I'm still overweight, but as far as I'm concerned this has very little (AKA s*d all) to do with my glucose levels - if I eat too many carbs I'll generally see a rise in glucose, but if I keep them down to what i know is an acceptable level, then my glucose levels follow suit and stay where I want them as well. And since I never particularly wanted to eat a high carb diet in the first place, I've no wish to go back to stuffing my face with them again.

But if you're wanting to eat extra carbs, just check with your meter to see what effect they might have on your glucose levels. Occasional small dietary diversions are probably OK , but long term may well be a different matter. Like @Bluetit1802, if I fancy a roast dinner I'll have one and just avoid the starchy stuff...

Robbity

Reactions: Paulm80

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an ultrasound of my liver and pancreas and was told they looked perfectly normal which confused my endo no end. I can’t afford to lose any weight.
Then don't. Keep the fats and protein up. For me, nuts will stall any weight loss... Find out what works for you and run with it.

loiphamp

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
Do not know how long it takes but T2 can be reversed .Now I can eat anything I want (small bag of M&M,fruits,noodles etc...) BG still in normal range.Plan diet works the best

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do not know how long it takes but T2 can be reversed .Now I can eat anything I want (small bag of M&M,fruits,noodles etc...) BG still in normal range.Plan diet works the best
How long did it take you and what was your method?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you seen a report following this ultra sound? I always ask to be copied in to reports and letters from hospitals to my GP. They are far more useful than someone saying they "look normal". What is normal?

No but I specifically asked my gp that question and no fatty liver.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Can be reversed for some people.
Not everyone is the same and the causes of T2 are not always the same.

If the main reason for T2 is fat around the liver and pancreas, the pancreas is still fully functional, and lack of good BG control is mainly down to Insulin Resistance then there is a good chance that radical weight loss will reduce the IR to the point where your insulin production can cope with what you eat and maintain non-diabetic BG levels.

If you were diagnosed when your pancreas had already lost the ability to produce enough insulin then the chances are much less.

A while back the quoted statistic was that 20% of T2s were not overweight or obese on diagnosis.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok another question , if you lose weight down to a healthy weight for your size and maintain that weight, what does that mean for diet, surely if you are in remission and maintaining a healthy weight you can relax on the carb counting?
Or am I totally wrong !

In my opinion it’s more likely that the weight is a symptom of the diabetes rather than causing it - fed by insulin resistance. If you reduce insulin resistance by restricting carbs and eating less frequently then your body may well handle carbs more efficiently.

However as someone who has dropped significant weight and both maintained a non diabetic HbA1c for over 2 years and significantly improved insulin resistance (also into normal range), I can personally testify to the fact that it doesn’t take very many carbs at all to push my BG above where I’d like it to be.

Aside from that the other health benefits that have accrued from a ketogenic diet mean I won’t be going back.

Last edited:

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point is since diagnoses I've been eating low carb 15-30g a day, I've lost 2 and a half stone in just under 3 months, a healthy weight for someone my build is 12-13 stone I'm currently 15 . Assuming I achieve remission in 3 months( I had a early diagnosis which was good well 54 anyway) if I stay at a healthy weight and low carb 85% of the time, I don't see why it would go back into diabetic range! I'm talking a carvery on Sunday here or the occasional meal out? I've been very stricked so far

Well, no. Eating low carb can give you “physiological insulin resistance”, which many interpret to be just about their increased fasting glucose, but it creates IR in general for the time you eat LC. It will go away upon “refeeding” with carbs. So, “85%” probably won’t work. You kind of have to be all in, or all out.

After losing 92 lbs people, and attaining and maintaining a BMI of 22, I eat a moderate carb diet (150-200g daily) and have completely normal numbers 24x7. My last HbA1c was 4.8%. For me, it was all about the weight. But if I eat LCHF for a time, my physiological IR comes right back (look it up, it’s actually an adaptive/protective mechanism), and my carb response diminishes.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, no. Eating low carb can give you “physiological insulin resistance”, which many interpret to be just about their increased fasting glucose, but it creates IR in general for the time you eat LC. It will go away upon “refeeding” with carbs. So, “85%” probably won’t work. You kind of have to be all in, or all out.

After losing 92 lbs people, and attaining and maintaining a BMI of 22, I eat a moderate carb diet (150-200g daily) and have completely normal numbers 24x7. My last HbA1c was 4.8%. For me, it was all about the weight. But if I eat LCHF for a time, my physiological IR comes right back (look it up, it’s actually an adaptive/protective mechanism), and my carb response diminishes.
Are you saying that you have normal BG with a moderate low carb diet but if you reduce the amount of carbs further your BG goes up?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying that you have normal BG with a moderate low carb diet but if you reduce the amount of carbs further your BG goes up?

Yes. Except I’m pretty sure it’s the increased fat, not decreased carbs.

It’s certainly not a 1:1 relationship, but eating LCHF for several days increases my FBG considerably - from say 85 to 110, plus my dawn phenomenon comes right back. And my postprandial response is much worse. I can see it all on my Freestyle Libre when I use it. I’ve never tried to push through long-term, a few months was enough to call it a failed experiment.

It a balancing act. Also, keep in mind, my “carb” consumption is vegetables, beans, nuts/seeds, some truly whole grains and fruit. We’re not taking bread and cookies - that was clearly a metabolic dumpster fire for me.

Reactions: EllieM and Marie 2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Except I’m pretty sure it’s the increased fat, not decreased carbs.

It’s certainly not a 1:1 relationship, but eating LCHF for several days increases my FBG considerably - from say 85 to 110, plus my dawn phenomenon comes right back. And my postprandial response is much worse. I can see it all on my Freestyle Libre when I use it. I’ve never tried to push through long-term, a few months was enough to call it a failed experiment.

It a balancing act. Also, keep in mind, my “carb” consumption is vegetables, beans, nuts/seeds, some truly whole grains and fruit. We’re not taking bread and cookies - that was clearly a metabolic dumpster fire for me.
My understanding of physiological insulin resistance is as follows.....
When you have been eating LC for a while your pancreas "gets used to" a small demand for insulin. If you then have a sudden intake of higher carbs, the insulin response is too low and BG rises more than it would otherwise have done. Increasing your carbs to say 150g per day for a couple of days "resets" your pancreas, which is why it is recommended before OGTT. Your case doesn't seem to be PIR related as you are already on moderate carbs and you are reducing your carb intake.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding of physiological insulin resistance is as follows.....
When you have been eating LC for a while your pancreas "gets used to" a small demand for insulin. If you then have a sudden intake of higher carbs, the insulin response is too low and BG rises more than it would otherwise have done. Increasing your carbs to say 150g per day for a couple of days "resets" your pancreas, which is why it is recommended before OGTT. Your case doesn't seem to be PIR related as you are already on moderate carbs and you are reducing your carb intake.

I don’t think so. I tried LCHF for several months. 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs. My FBG shot up. If I even ate 1 plum as a “cheat”, I had an outsized postprandial reaction.

Separately, on vacation recently, I ate LCHF because I was concerned about the lack of quality choices in foods. My Libre showed my BG hung high between meals and overnight after several days of this approach.

Reactions: Marie 2