New kid on the block

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Since I just found this nifty site and registered, I thought I might as well introduce myself. :)

I'm a 44 year old male from Germany with some T2 family history and it looks like my pancreas opted for early retirement.

In 2018, I started to notice things were a bit off about my body. I was pale, bloated, felt sluggish, any meal no matter what would call for a nap and the frequent bathroom visits didn't help either. Off to the doc I went and while all the numbers were on the high side, it wasn't all too bad. After I didn't get too far with dietary changes alone, my doc put me on Trulicity and Metformin. I felt better and after a while stopped measuring BG since everything seemed to chug along just fine.

Enter 2019. What a hot, beautiful summer! The temperatures alone explained my thirst and when you drink, you have to pee, right? Nothing to worry about. I also noticed that my eyesight had gotten worse, but I'm not getting any younger, so new glasses once in a while aren't anything out of the ordinary.

It wasn't until I felt particularly funny after a heavy meal that I finally got the message. Grabbed my glucose meter and one prick later I was looking at a sporty 400+ mg/dl. :eek:

Off to the doc again where my HbA1c clocked in at 9.9%. :dead:

Maybe I could have held it off a bit longer if I'd taken more care of myself, but given the rapid progression I doubt it somewhat.

Anyways, after about a week and and a gallon of insulin later, I was back down to more agreeable stats. I'm firmly on the 'slin waggon now shooting Lantus and Humalog as required. The good thing is my HbA1c is already down to 7.5% just 5-6 weeks later, so at least I'm getting somewhere. Got an antibody check on the way as well, maybe it's even LADA or something. I'll know more about that come Tuesday.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to getting to know the community and scooping up whatever helpful info I can find while doing it.

Cheers,

~Noodles~

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Rachox, thanks for the warm welcome! :) Appreciate the link, I consider any info useful that helps me pummel that diabetes clown. :D

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Since I just found this nifty site and registered, I thought I might as well introduce myself. :)

I'm a 44 year old male from Germany with some T2 family history and it looks like my pancreas opted for early retirement.

In 2018, I started to notice things were a bit off about my body. I was pale, bloated, felt sluggish, any meal no matter what would call for a nap and the frequent bathroom visits didn't help either. Off to the doc I went and while all the numbers were on the high side, it wasn't all too bad. After I didn't get too far with dietary changes alone, my doc put me on Trulicity and Metformin. I felt better and after a while stopped measuring BG since everything seemed to chug along just fine.

Enter 2019. What a hot, beautiful summer! The temperatures alone explained my thirst and when you drink, you have to pee, right? Nothing to worry about. I also noticed that my eyesight had gotten worse, but I'm not getting any younger, so new glasses once in a while aren't anything out of the ordinary.

It wasn't until I felt particularly funny after a heavy meal that I finally got the message. Grabbed my glucose meter and one prick later I was looking at a sporty 400+ mg/dl. :eek:

Off to the doc again where my HbA1c clocked in at 9.9%. :dead:

Maybe I could have held it off a bit longer if I'd taken more care of myself, but given the rapid progression I doubt it somewhat.

Anyways, after about a week and and a gallon of insulin later, I was back down to more agreeable stats. I'm firmly on the 'slin waggon now shooting Lantus and Humalog as required. The good thing is my HbA1c is already down to 7.5% just 5-6 weeks later, so at least I'm getting somewhere. Got an antibody check on the way as well, maybe it's even LADA or something. I'll know more about that come Tuesday.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to getting to know the community and scooping up whatever helpful info I can find while doing it.

Cheers,

~Noodles~
Hey Noodles!

Hertzlich willkommen! Though I'm sorry you have need of us, it's good to have you. Insulin and possible LADA eh? That's a tough break. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is more geared towards T2's, which may help if your tests come back negative... Just don't jump in with both feet while not adjusting your insulin accordingly, because you would hypo. More information on dietdoctor.com, this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!), and you might want to read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code... For the moment though, I suppose it's a wait-and-see for your test results... You sound a bit more willing to tackle this, which is half the battle, really... So you're well on your way.

Viel glück,
Jo

Reactions: ~Noodles~

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Goedenavond Jo! :)

Thank you for your friendly response. Yes, I would have preferred if my diabetes muppet would have found another home, but hey, it is what it is. ;) Great info by the way, I guess it'll take me a while to get through all of it (not like it'll ever end, it's a life-long journey after all).

I'm excited to hear about the antibody test and will share the results a.s.a.p., it's a bit unnerving to not know what is really going on. :(

But yes, I guess I'm on my merry way so far. Hypos are rare, but I still have to find out how I react to different meals. A pizza will send me to the moon e.g., so I need much more insulin and spreaded injections afterwards. Just need to keep on keeping on I guess.

Reactions: Antje77 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Herzlich willkommen and hello from another compatriot. Sorry to hear about your sudden rise in blood sugar levels.

Also, keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have the results of your antibody test quickly -- more information as a basis for your decisions is always better.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to see I'm not the only one hailing from abroad. :)

This really is a fairly international forum, isn't it?

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to see I'm not the only one hailing from abroad. :)

This really is a fairly international forum, isn't it?

Yes, definitely. There are people from the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Netherlands, Denmark, Cyprus, and many other countries (probably have left out some countries). It's really a very friendly and welcoming group.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome from Australia . This is a great site with lots of amazing people who can give advice and information. Look around on the site and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goedenavond Jo! :)

Thank you for your friendly response. Yes, I would have preferred if my diabetes muppet would have found another home, but hey, it is what it is. ;) Great info by the way, I guess it'll take me a while to get through all of it (not like it'll ever end, it's a life-long journey after all).

I'm excited to hear about the antibody test and will share the results a.s.a.p., it's a bit unnerving to not know what is really going on. :(

But yes, I guess I'm on my merry way so far. Hypos are rare, but I still have to find out how I react to different meals. A pizza will send me to the moon e.g., so I need much more insulin and spreaded injections afterwards. Just need to keep on keeping on I guess.
It's a scary time, when you're in diagnosis-limbo, not knowing what your life's going to look like from here on in. But in this place, there's all sorts: and they all manage, one way or another. So it is quite do-able, whatever your journey turns out to be. And you have time to learn. Pizza's, oh my... That's the all-time worst for diabetics, I'm afraid, where bolussing for them is concerned.... The fats slow down the uptake of a LOT of carbs, so most people'll need to split an insulin dose... BUT.... You could try the fathead dough pizza, or Dr. Berg's cauliflower base (https://www.drberg.com/blog/the-healthiest-pizza-in-the-world) ... Me, I just keep it simple and use an omelet with Italian herbs and garlic powder (and maybe some almond flour to make it firm) as a base. It's just the dough that gets us, so if you want to enjoy a home-made one, there's alternatives. Not the same as ordering one, bit more work, but.... No need to say goodbye to pizza forever because of all the insulin-hassle.

There's solutions to everything, basically, it just takes a little time to find them all. ;)
Jo

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome from Australia . This is a great site with lots of amazing people who can give advice and information. Look around on the site and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.
G'day mate! Yes, it's a real boatload of info, looking forward to rummaging through it! :happy:

Love Australia btw, such a beautiful country and very friendly people. :)

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a scary time, when you're in diagnosis-limbo, not knowing what your life's going to look like from here on in. But in this place, there's all sorts: and they all manage, one way or another. So it is quite do-able, whatever your journey turns out to be. And you have time to learn. Pizza's, oh my... That's the all-time worst for diabetics, I'm afraid, where bolussing for them is concerned.... The fats slow down the uptake of a LOT of carbs, so most people'll need to split an insulin dose... BUT.... You could try the fathead dough pizza, or Dr. Berg's cauliflower base (https://www.drberg.com/blog/the-healthiest-pizza-in-the-world) ... Me, I just keep it simple and use an omelet with Italian herbs and garlic powder (and maybe some almond flour to make it firm) as a base. It's just the dough that gets us, so if you want to enjoy a home-made one, there's alternatives. Not the same as ordering one, bit more work, but.... No need to say goodbye to pizza forever because of all the insulin-hassle.

There's solutions to everything, basically, it just takes a little time to find them all. ;)
Jo

It most definitely is, no doubt there! Just checked with my doc, for some reason they only received c-peptides which were within the normal range. Maybe the other numbers will pop up by tomorrow.

As far as pizza goes, that really is my achilles heel. I swear I was born in the wrong country, I could eat pizza and pasta 24/7 48 times a day + before and after meals. :woot: My stork must have been really drunk when he dropped me off. :p

So far I've managed fairly well with 2 injections at 50% each, one 30 min. after the pizza and another 60 min. later. Humalog just doesn't cover the delayed glucose release. :shifty:

Hence, I really appreciate the recipes—looks like there really is a soluting to anything! :D

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It most definitely is, no doubt there! Just checked with my doc, for some reason they only received c-peptides which were within the normal range. Maybe the other numbers will pop up by tomorrow.

As far as pizza goes, that really is my achilles heel. I swear I was born in the wrong country, I could eat pizza and pasta 24/7 48 times a day + before and after meals. :woot: My stork must have been really drunk when he dropped me off. :p

So far I've managed fairly well with 2 injections at 50% each, one 30 min. after the pizza and another 60 min. later. Humalog just doesn't cover the delayed glucose release. :shifty:

Hence, I really appreciate the recipes—looks like there really is a soluting to anything! :D
Maybe the stork got flammkuchen and pizza's confused when following his nose for direction. ;) Naturally, flammkuchen became a thing in the Netherlands riiiight after I was diagnosed. So I know they smell wonderful, just never had one. But for that too, I'm sure there's a recipe about, come to think of it. A friend just showed me how to make keto mug bread in the microwave, so who knows, I might become a little more adventurous once the new stove comes in. Really, there's a whole world of food that's opening up for you. For me, the less sugars I ate, the more my palette changed, so food's taken on an entirely new dimension now. Much better. I was a little bummed to find that currywurst had more carbs than I was aiming for though, but if at some point you have handy tips about what kind of sausage/meat I can actually order at the Christmas market in Aachen, -hoping to go this year, haven't been in SO long!- do let me know. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checked with my doc, for some reason they only received c-peptides which were within the normal range. Maybe the other numbers will pop up by tomorrow.
Antibodies often take a long time, like 6 weeks or so.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe the stork got flammkuchen and pizza's confused when following his nose for direction. ;) Naturally, flammkuchen became a thing in the Netherlands riiiight after I was diagnosed. So I know they smell wonderful, just never had one. But for that too, I'm sure there's a recipe about, come to think of it. A friend just showed me how to make keto mug bread in the microwave, so who knows, I might become a little more adventurous once the new stove comes in. Really, there's a whole world of food that's opening up for you. For me, the less sugars I ate, the more my palette changed, so food's taken on an entirely new dimension now. Much better. I was a little bummed to find that currywurst had more carbs than I was aiming for though, but if at some point you have handy tips about what kind of sausage/meat I can actually order at the Christmas market in Aachen, -hoping to go this year, haven't been in SO long!- do let me know. ;)
Hmm, flammkuchen! Yummy!! :woot:

Yes, there is whole world out there—good thing I already did lots of keto some 20 years back in my bodybuilding days, so I'm not starting completely from scratch.

As for the Christmas market in Aachen, I'm sure it's great. I've never been there unfortunately. As for the currywurst, I guess the ketchup part really ruins it for us. :( All other meats and sausages should be fair game, though—bratwurst, rindswurst, you name it. They should all have only trace amounts of carbs in them, so have at it!

I sure hope you make it this year, Christmas markets are always nice and Aachen is just around the corner. Do you have anything comparable in the Netherlands?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And if you're as lucky as I am the results may still be inconclusive...
Although I've had only th GAD ones tested and not the others. In the end my internist and I decided not to bother with further testing and simply go with the assumption I'm T1, as treatment works just fine. It took me some time to get used to the situation, but in the end I decided I'm happy with that because the only thing that really matters is treatment giving good results, which didn't happen in the short time I was on tablets.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, flammkuchen! Yummy!! :woot:

Yes, there is whole world out there—good thing I already did lots of keto some 20 years back in my bodybuilding days, so I'm not starting completely from scratch.

As for the Christmas market in Aachen, I'm sure it's great. I've never been there unfortunately. As for the currywurst, I guess the ketchup part really ruins it for us. :( All other meats and sausages should be fair game, though—bratwurst, rindswurst, you name it. They should all have only trace amounts of carbs in them, so have at it!

I sure hope you make it this year, Christmas markets are always nice and Aachen is just around the corner. Do you have anything comparable in the Netherlands?
Ah, thank you! In Aachen there's always a really large stall in front of the Rathaus with all sorts of würst, (and other meats) so this really helps. If it's just the curry throwing a wrench in, it's all good. I was already counting down to Christmas, but even more so now. Colour me grateful. :) The Aachener market is relatively close at 2 hours drive from here, and it's sort of small-ish... I know there are bigger markets, which would mean more people, -Busloads of the elderly Dutch, like my aunts. :) - and I don't like crowds. The atmosphere is always really nice in Aachen, everyone's friendly, and the stalls are so charming... In the Netherlands, some places try to have a market like that, but I haven't been anywhere where they've actually pulled it off. They don't seem to grasp the idea that it's the romance of the thing... Glassblowers, people cutting geodes, you know, making gifts and ornaments by hand then and there, is part of what makes it special. Everything breathes Christmas. Making it personal, cozy, a time to care about one another openly, without reserve. I went to a famous Dutch market, and I saw selfiesticks and phone cases. (?!) Not very christmassy. ;) What we do have is the Dickens event in Deventer. Haven't been there in ages either because the last time we went, we stood in line for 2 hours before entering, and my husband got frostbite. (Steel toed boots are not a good idea when it's freezing!). With tens of thousands of people in those lines, I'm not gung-ho to try it again. But basically it's in this old area of the city, and for one weekend you get transported to Dickensian London. Queen Victoria roams the streets in a carriage, you can go into an old antique store which gets converted into Ms. Havisham's dining room, Scrooge is Bah Humbugging at everyone... It's the only place I've been to that captured the same atmosphere, with carolers and whatnot adding to the joy of the thing. With at the end a market... With phone cases. But whatever. ;)

I was so worried Christmas'd never be the same again with the diabetes thing, but so far, I've been consulted on the dinners and such with family.... Half the time there's keto stuff on the table and the other guests don't even realise it's "special". ;) Even manage to make low carb hot chocolate, and... I just realised it's 33 degrees and it's still 119 days Christmas. ;) But who's counting? Ahem.

Aaaanyway... If you've gone down the keto path before, this should be a breeze for you. Or I hope it will be, anyway. Now we've got cauliflower rice! ;)

I have a feeling you'll be okay, whatever your test results will be when the GAD results come in. With a background in keto and your attitude, yeah.. You're going to be fine.
Jo

Edited to add: correction, it's 34 degrees. What the **** kind of summer is this?!

Last edited:

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, thank you! In Aachen there's always a really large stall in front of the Rathaus with all sorts of würst, (and other meats) so this really helps. If it's just the curry throwing a wrench in, it's all good. I was already counting down to Christmas, but even more so now. Colour me grateful. :) The Aachener market is relatively close at 2 hours drive from here, and it's sort of small-ish... I know there are bigger markets, which would mean more people, -Busloads of the elderly Dutch, like my aunts. :) - and I don't like crowds. The atmosphere is always really nice in Aachen, everyone's friendly, and the stalls are so charming... In the Netherlands, some places try to have a market like that, but I haven't been anywhere where they've actually pulled it off. They don't seem to grasp the idea that it's the romance of the thing... Glassblowers, people cutting geodes, you know, making gifts and ornaments by hand then and there, is part of what makes it special. Everything breathes Christmas. Making it personal, cozy, a time to care about one another openly, without reserve. I went to a famous Dutch market, and I saw selfiesticks and phone cases. (?!) Not very christmassy. ;) What we do have is the Dickens event in Deventer. Haven't been there in ages either because the last time we went, we stood in line for 2 hours before entering, and my husband got frostbite. (Steel toed boots are not a good idea when it's freezing!). With tens of thousands of people in those lines, I'm not gung-ho to try it again. But basically it's in this old area of the city, and for one weekend you get transported to Dickensian London. Queen Victoria roams the streets in a carriage, you can go into an old antique store which gets converted into Ms. Havisham's dining room, Scrooge is Bah Humbugging at everyone... It's the only place I've been to that captured the same atmosphere, with carolers and whatnot adding to the joy of the thing. With at the end a market... With phone cases. But whatever. ;)

I was so worried Christmas'd never be the same again with the diabetes thing, but so far, I've been consulted on the dinners and such with family.... Half the time there's keto stuff on the table and the other guests don't even realise it's "special". ;) Even manage to make low carb hot chocolate, and... I just realised it's 33 degrees and it's still 119 days Christmas. ;) But who's counting? Ahem.

Aaaanyway... If you've gone down the keto path before, this should be a breeze for you. Or I hope it will be, anyway. Now we've got cauliflower rice! ;)

I have a feeling you'll be okay, whatever your test results will be when the GAD results come in. With a background in keto and your attitude, yeah.. You're going to be fine.
Jo

Edited to add: correction, it's 34 degrees. What the **** kind of summer is this?!
Thanks for the vivid report Jo! That Dickens event sure does sound tempting. The phone cases, though… :banghead:
And yes, it's the whole thing that makes up the atmosphere. Well, and the glühwein of course. :wacky:

Luckily there's still a lot for us left to eat but honestly I don't mind cheating a day or two around christmas and thanksgiving. :D

Currently I keep carbs low during the week and eat "normal" during the weekend. I need a bit more insulin then but oh well, I guess somebody oughta use it before it turns bad. :p

It's a bit like my old bodybuilding diet, where I'd spend the week in ketosis and carb-load on the weekends. I don't go to extremes these days but the setup is pretty similar and the results seem to agree with me.

Now please tell me about that cauliflower rice, that sounds really interesting. Where do you get it?

As for the weather, I'm not sure what's happening but I do enjoy the sun. I guess all the long years of using deodorant propellant are finally paying off. ;)