Prenisolone and T1D

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday I was put on steriods (presnisolone) for another autoimmune condition I have (sarcoidosis). I was told it will send my BG up and quite quickly. I woke on 25 this morning! Anyone on steriods and have advice please? Thank you x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @4mum_

Unfortunately steroids are a pain to deal with, they decrease the effectiveness of insulin and can cause the liver to dump more glucose into your system.

Are you comfortable with adjusting your correction doses to bring your levels down ? If not speak to your diabetic nurse, the other aspect is that we can also become more insulin resistant the higher our levels go to, so lots of testing as well as correcting above what we would normally administer, but again speak to your DSN if you need guidance on doing this.

Reactions: 4mum_

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, yes I'm happy with adjusting but thought I would see how today runs so I can work out something.

I'm currently checking 8 x daily to help become elligible for the Libre. I checked 2 hrs after rising and was 26.7 so have given another 4 units.

I have emailed by DSN for advise and suggestions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @4mum_ I had steroid injections about 2 years ago and it took a week for my BG levels to come back down again without loads of correcting, good luck, let us know how you get on ?

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @4mum_ I had steroid injections about 2 years ago and it took a week for my BG levels to come back down again without loads of correcting, good luck, let us know how you get on ?
My levels rose yesterday morning but constant corrections got it down to 9.5 pre bed at 10pm. I took the meds with my evening meal around 7pm. I woke this morning on another high of 22, which after correction and 30 min walk to work rose to 27! Been emailing my DSN throughout the day.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi. I'm on 6 x 5mg for a week, then reduce by 1 each week. I also don't know the best time of day to take them or whether to take them all together?

Ok, so, 30mg a day and reducing by 5mg each week, 6 week course. Yeah, that will be horrible on the bg levels. I can't advise on whether or not to take them, but it is generally not a good idea to suddenly stop taking them while on a high dose.

I take 7mg everyday, but it's part of being a transplant recipient and there is no way around it. I have heard of doubling and tripling insulin while on pred, but you really need to get a hold of someone to get those levels down. I don't know anything about your condition that your doctor is using pred to treat, but I'd be looking for as much info on it as possible to see if there are alternatives to pred.