jammy507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Good people,
My name is Sandeep(male, 37 yrs old) I am from India and i currently reside in US for work. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes when I did my annual physicals at my Physician's office on April 30th, 2019. My fasting blood sugars on that day was around 200 mg/dl(Stupid thing i did was i had tea with sugar 1 hour before this blood test). So my Doctor ordered an HBA1c with the same sample and on May 2nd i got the results for the A1C which showed up as 7.1% in the lab reports and he broke the news to me on phone that i have type 2 diabetes(without any other blood tests). My Doctor told me that he will not be prescribing any medication and he gave me 3 months time until my next visit to check my A1C again(Next Appointment on August 31st)
I am still in denial/shocked and have anxiety and i am still not getting over it about being diagnosed but i have so many questions/concerns about the diagnosis/symptoms/food etc etc and managing my condition. Took off from work for about 6 weeks because this was stressing me out.

I have been following this forum since then and definitely this forum has been helpful for me in learning and getting educated about diabetes.
Since my diagnosis, I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey for 2 weeks after diagnosis and then smoked until quit again (it was pretty hard for me to do this) on July 11th, 2019 (been smoking for 12 years). Changed my lifestyle in terms of diet and exercise(walking about 3 miles a day). Went low carb and totally cut down on raw sugar for about 2 months until August 1st. During that period after following low carb diet and i did my blood work again on July 19th, my A1C was 5.9%(This was done in India). Also, did Ultrasound and the technician who did Ultrasound told me that i have fatty lever. Doctor who i saw in India also did the Thyroid tests which came back negative. Amylase test results showed up as 42 U/L. Lipid profile , renal function and haemogram tests all came back in normal range which were done on July 19th 2019.

Since last 2 months i have been having burping issues, bloating and constipation, irregular bowl moments,fatigue, sleeping a lot, not interested in outdoor activities. Is this something related to quitting smoking? I have an appointment with my Doctor this Saturday and will be discussing these symptoms with him.I also lost about 12 kgs in about 4 months. Also, i have been having dry eyes issue as well(blood shot eyes too) and blurred vision in the mornings after i wake up. I also been noticing indentations(Bedsheet marks)on my arms and body when i wake up in the mornings(really did not notice these before or did not pay attention before). Is this something which i have to worry about? Please let me know.

Should I ask my doctor to do any other tests in order to confirm that it is Type 2 diabetes( and not Type 1 or any other condition related to Pancreas or any cancer related). I have been thinking about the symptoms and googling them a lot which I should not have done. This is freaking me out and I am a very social person and since my diagnosis I have been isolating myself away from people(family/friends). Please advice and thank you so much and I am glad that I found this forum.

Last edited:

Reemap

Hello Sandeep and welcome to the forum. Though it’s difficult for me to comment on the symptoms you have mentioned, I am sure someone in this forum will help you out with the same. I am also from India and I know it’s very difficult to get the diet in control when our food is so rich in carbs but I would say you have done great with that and with lowering your A1C in three months.
My A1c is 7.0 and I have planned to check mine in oct to see how I am doing on low carb. Don’t isolate yourself from family and friends as they can be your support. I know this condition is depressing and I too have gone through that phase. I delivered a baby and got type 2 from gestational diabetes hence it was shocking for me. Hold in there and you will do just fine. Hope you have got a glucometer to check your sugars. You can get the sugar in remission if you work on LCHF diet and also you can try intermediate fasting which also helps to lower sugar.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It sounds like something is affecting your health so yes, go back to the doctor.

Reactions: jammy507

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum. Well done on reducing your AC1, That is great.

Not sure about all the other symptoms- you should go back to your doctor and get some advice and tests if necessary, The symptoms may not be as a result of the diabetes but something else- maybe even stress and anxiety. Totally worth getting them checked out.

You seem to be on the right road and I agree that this forum is v very helpful.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Good people,
My name is Sandeep(male, 37 yrs old) I am from India and i currently reside in US for work. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes when I did my annual physicals at my Physician's office on April 30th, 2019. My fasting blood sugars on that day was around 200 mg/dl(Stupid thing i did was i had tea with sugar 1 hour before this blood test). So my Doctor ordered an HBA1c with the same sample and on May 2nd i got the results for the A1C which showed up as 7.1% in the lab reports and he broke the news to me on phone that i have type 2 diabetes(without any other blood tests). My Doctor told me that he will not be prescribing any medication and he gave me 3 months time until my next visit to check my A1C again(Next Appointment on August 31st)
I am still in denial/shocked and have anxiety and i am still not getting over it about being diagnosed but i have so many questions/concerns about the diagnosis/symptoms/food etc etc and managing my condition. Took off from work for about 6 weeks because this was stressing me out.

I have been following this forum since then and definitely this forum has been helpful for me in learning and getting educated about diabetes.
Since my diagnosis, i quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey for 2 weeks after diagnosis and then smoked until July 19th and quit again (it was pretty hard for me to do this) on July 11th, 2019 (been smoking for 12 years). Changed my lifestyle in terms of diet and exercise(walking about 3 miles a day). Went low carb and totally cut down on raw sugar for about 2 months until August 1st. During that period after following low carb diet and i did my blood work again on July 19th, my A1C was 5.9%(This was done in India). Also, did Ultrasound and the technician who did Ultrasound told me that i have fatty lever. Doctor who i saw in India also did the Thyroid tests which came back negative. Amylase test results showed up as 42 U/L. Lipid profile , renal function and haemogram tests all came back negative which were done on July 19th 2019.

Since last 2 months i have been having burping issues, bloating and constipation, irregular bowl moments,fatigue, sleeping a lot, not interested in outdoor activities. Is this something related to quitting smoking? I have an appointment with my Doctor this Saturday and will be discussing these symptoms with him.I also lost about 12 kgs in about 4 months. Also, i have been having dry eyes issue as well(blood shot eyes too) and blurred vision in the mornings after i wake up. I also been noticing indentations on my arms and body when i wake up in the mornings(really did not notice these before or did not pay attention before). Is this something which i have to worry about? Please let me know.

Should i ask my doctor to do any other tests in order to confirm that it is Type 2 diabetes( and not Type 1 or any other condition related to Pancreas or any cancer related). i have been thinking about the symptoms and googling a lot which i should not have done. This is freaking me out and i am a very social person and since my diagnosis i have been isolating myself away from people(family/friends). Please advice! and Thank you so much and I am glad that i found this forum.
Hi Sandeep,

I'm sorry you got diagnosed, but from the sound of it you are indeed a T2. The fatty liver can be tackled with the same low carb diet (mine's gone now, and was so extreme the doc thought it was one big tumour rather than fat, so... It makes one heck of a difference). Your dry eyes can be easily solved with artificial tears. They're eyedrops that are really soothing, and your doc can perscribe them, but here in the netherlands they're also available over the counter, so you can try that if you like. Still... With your other issues cropping up, you do want to see a doctor. Low carb will make you lose weight, so that is nothing to worry about, but the fatigue and intestinal issues should be looked into. What are you eating? I know things like chia and quinoa upset my gut quite a bit, so if there's seed and the like added into your diet which weren't there before, that could be an issue. And if you're having more dairy than usual, that could cause problems too. The fatigue could well be due to the shock of diagnosis, we can't assume that that's what it is... Could be you're vitamin D deficient, or one of the B vitamins... You really want to get a full blood panel done. If you have your bloodsugars under control, diabetes shouldn't be causing you fatigue, so it's worth it to look into all the options. So long story short: see a doc. Lots of this stuff can have an easy fix, like changing around your diet or adding a vitamin supplement... It doesn't automatically have to be cancer or T1. Okay? So no need to fear the results.

Good luck!!!
Jo

jammy507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Sandeep and welcome to the forum. Though it’s difficult for me to comment on the symptoms you have mentioned, I am sure someone in this forum will help you out with the same. I am also from India and I know it’s very difficult to get the diet in control when our food is so rich in carbs but I would say you have done great with that and with lowering your A1C in three months.
My A1c is 7.0 and I have planned to check mine in oct to see how I am doing on low carb. Don’t isolate yourself from family and friends as they can be your support. I know this condition is depressing and I too have gone through that phase. I delivered a baby and got type 2 from gestational diabetes hence it was shocking for me. Hold in there and you will do just fine. Hope you have got a glucometer to check your sugars. You can get the sugar in remission if you work on LCHF diet and also you can try intermediate fasting which also helps to lower sugar.
Hi Reemap,
Thank you for your reply and all the best on your next A1C test. Are you taking any medication or doing it by LCHF diet? Yes, I agree for the diet part having very high carbs in our diets specially in India. Rice is my favorite :) I have to give it up now. And ofcourse there are so many foods which I have to compromise on.

My family is of great support to me. I am still trying to adjust to this new lifestyle.

I do have a glucometer, contour Next model and I haven't been testing my BS everyday after I came back from India. Once I go to doctor and get all the tests done that would make me less worried. I will keep you posted.

jammy507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sandeep,

I'm sorry you got diagnosed, but from the sound of it you are indeed a T2. The fatty liver can be tackled with the same low carb diet (mine's gone now, and was so extreme the doc thought it was one big tumour rather than fat, so... It makes one heck of a difference). Your dry eyes can be easily solved with artificial tears. They're eyedrops that are really soothing, and your doc can perscribe them, but here in the netherlands they're also available over the counter, so you can try that if you like. Still... With your other issues cropping up, you do want to see a doctor. Low carb will make you lose weight, so that is nothing to worry about, but the fatigue and intestinal issues should be looked into. What are you eating? I know things like chia and quinoa upset my gut quite a bit, so if there's seed and the like added into your diet which weren't there before, that could be an issue. And if you're having more dairy than usual, that could cause problems too. The fatigue could well be due to the shock of diagnosis, we can't assume that that's what it is... Could be you're vitamin D deficient, or one of the B vitamins... You really want to get a full blood panel done. If you have your bloodsugars under control, diabetes shouldn't be causing you fatigue, so it's worth it to look into all the options. So long story short: see a doc. Lots of this stuff can have an easy fix, like changing around your diet or adding a vitamin supplement... It doesn't automatically have to be cancer or T1. Okay? So no need to fear the results.

Good luck!!!
Jo
Hi Jo,
Thank you for your reply. My diet has been off for a while. I do have tea with milk in the mornings and a cup of coffee at work with cream. I have to get back on track as per diet is concerned and I am just waiting to get my tests done this Saturday and then take it from there. I will keep you posted after I get my report card.Thank you again for your valuable feedback!

Hi Sandeep,

Good luck!!!
Jo

jammy507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vashti,
Thank you for your reply and will keep you posted on this thread after I get it checked.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Well done on reducing your AC1, That is great.

Not sure about all the other symptoms- you should go back to your doctor and get some advice and tests if necessary, The symptoms may not be as a result of the diabetes but something else- maybe even stress and anxiety. Totally worth getting them checked out.

You seem to be on the right road and I agree that this forum is v very helpful.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,
Thank you for your reply. My diet has been off for a while. I do have tea with milk in the mornings and a cup of coffee at work with cream. I have to get back on track as per diet is concerned and I am just waiting to get my tests done this Saturday and then take it from there. I will keep you posted after I get my report card.Thank you again for your valuable feedback!
Well, nothing wrong with coffee with cream. Google bulletproof coffee, you'll be amazed. ;) And a little dash of milk in your tea won't do any harm. Just don't drink mugs of straight milk and you're all good.

Reemap

Hi Reemap,
Thank you for your reply and all the best on your next A1C test. Are you taking any medication or doing it by LCHF diet? Yes, I agree for the diet part having very high carbs in our diets specially in India. Rice is my favorite :) I have to give it up now. And ofcourse there are so many foods which I have to compromise on.

My family is of great support to me. I am still trying to adjust to this new lifestyle.

I do have a glucometer, contour Next model and I haven't been testing my BS everyday after I came back from India. Once I go to doctor and get all the tests done that would make me less worried. I will keep you posted.

No I am not taking any medications, trying to control on LCHF diet only. White Rice was my favourite too and I gave that up for brown rice but after joining this forum understood that it’s not much difference .. all rice are the same irrespective to colour. Will wait for your update after the test .. all the best and don’t stress yourself

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi Sandeep
You have come to the right place for information and support. As others have said before me you need to present all your concerns to you doctor and have full blood tests done.
On the question of rice have you tried cauliflower rice? We use it as a straight swap for rice, fried rice, stuffings. Sometimes my beloved wants "real" rice I will have sliced runner beans or spiralised courgettes. You can find lots of recipes here and on diet doctor website.
Let us know how you get on and look around the forums you'll find we are a very supportive community.
Good luck!
Mell

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Hi Sandeep

Well done on the A1c result. I have been on low carb for about a year and have mine down to 6.4. You are on the right track with the diet. You definitely need to see your doctor about the other issues. We cannot diagnose here but we can and do give information and support. You may want to see an ophthalmologist about the eyes. These can be a weak point for diabetics, The stomach issues sound totally unrelated although I needed my gall bladder removed last year as a gall stone blocked my pancreas. This is potentially dangerous and need immediate attention. I went from ER entry to an operation in less than 3 days. Get this issue checked out but come to this forum which for me had been a better motivator than the professionals.

jammy507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sandeep
You have come to the right place for information and support. As others have said before me you need to present all your concerns to you doctor and have full blood tests done.
On the question of rice have you tried cauliflower rice? We use it as a straight swap for rice, fried rice, stuffings. Sometimes my beloved wants "real" rice I will have sliced runner beans or spiralised courgettes. You can find lots of recipes here and on diet doctor website.
Let us know how you get on and look around the forums you'll find we are a very supportive community.
Good luck!
Mell

Hey Mell,
Thank you for the options for the rice. I haven't tried cauliflower rice before. Courgette sounds healthy too! I will definitely try these and see if like them. Thank you!

Last edited:

jammy507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sandeep

Well done on the A1c result. I have been on low carb for about a year and have mine down to 6.4. You are on the right track with the diet. You definitely need to see your doctor about the other issues. We cannot diagnose here but we can and do give information and support. You may want to see an ophthalmologist about the eyes. These can be a weak point for diabetics, The stomach issues sound totally unrelated although I needed my gall bladder removed last year as a gall stone blocked my pancreas. This is potentially dangerous and need immediate attention. I went from ER entry to an operation in less than 3 days. Get this issue checked out but come to this forum which for me had been a better motivator than the professionals.

Hi Steve,
Thank you, I feel good about the A1C results but the symptoms are making me worried. I think my quitting smoking made it worse I believe(Stress and constipation) I already got my eyes checked out in July and the doctor prescribed me OTC artificial tear drops which I haven't started using them yet. I am sorry that you had to go through the surgery and hope you are feeling better these days and I see that you are doing great on your A1C. I will post you guys after the Doc visit. You have a good day!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hey Mell,
Thank you for the options for the rice. I haven't tried cauliflower rice before. Courgette sounds healthy too! I will definitely try these and see if like them. Thank you!
Just make sure you put the courgette to stir fry in a hot pan with butter until is starts to turn brown otherwise it tastes like warm slimy courgette! Not nice