LCHF advice for a carb addict

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am addicted to carbs. I have followed the LCHF for 7 weeks now- I still crave carbs very day and for a lot of the day. If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness- say cancer I think I would feel a sense of relief and start eating what I like. I like practically nothing in the LCHF diet and the things I kind of liked I now don't having eaten them much more than I am used to- I sandwich- yes that would be great- eggs and bacon- I'll choke them down because I am very very hungry.

My tastes haven't changed and if I could guarantee that the diabetic complications I would get would be a stroke or heart attack that would kill me that would be okay- my younger siblings already have ulcers over their legs and I really couldn't do that. The thought of injecting insulin every day- well all I can say is the type s and others that do that deserve a medal as their quiet courage is amazing- I am truely in awe of those people.

I would so love to like meat or vegetables other than potato, pumpkin, sweet potato and beetroot- alas I don't. Actually the only positive about LCHF is that I don't have to eat carrots which are my least favourite food every.

Sorry for such a negative post- not doing too well today

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Wish I could offer some useful advice, but taste is a very personal thing. I have tried to like beetroot for about six months, but finally gave up on it. Maybe there is a food or vegetables new to you, that you might enjoy? Something to think about anyway

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd just like to put in my two cents- I think I am addicted to carbs. I have followed the LCHF for 7 weeks now- I still crave carbs very day and for a lot of the day. If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness- say cancer I think I would feel a sense of relief and start eating what I like. I like practically nothing in the LCHF diet and the things I kind of liked I now don't having eaten them much more than I am used to- I sandwich- yes that would be great- eggs and bacon- I'll choke them down because I am very very hungry.

My tastes haven't changed and if I could guarantee that the diabetic complications I would get would be a stroke or heart attack that would kill me that would be okay- my younger siblings already have ulcers over their legs and I really couldn't do that. The thought of injecting insulin every day- well all I can say is the type s and others that do that deserve a medal as their quiet courage is amazing- I am truely in awe of those people.

I would so love to like meat or vegetables other than potato, pumpkin, sweet potato and beetroot- alas I don't. Actually the only positive about LCHF is that I don't have to eat carrots which are my least favourite food every.

VashtiB, perhaps this would be a good time to learn how to cook?

The diet you're describing sounds bland and heavy in starches...which convert to sugar...and make you feel good...for a short period of time...then you have to repeat the process again every few hours.

What if more is possible? What if there are other ways to enjoy food?

Eggs and bacon was a non starter for me. I missed the potatoes. So I used one pan to cook the eggs and bacon, and another to sautee sliced cauliflower in butter. It was even better when I allowed it too caramelize a bit.

Not long after that I remembered how much I enjoyed a dish I ate at my favorite breakfast spot: eggs with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes...and goat feta. Through trial and error, I figured out how to make it home.

This led to further experimentations with other combinations of eggs, often onion, vegetables...and cheeses. I love fresh basil and now grow it each summer. Eggs, basil, tomato, and goat feta is another great combination.

For breakfast this morning, I had eggs with a mix of onion, broccoli, bacon, and cheddar cheese. So good.

Another cheese I like to play with is gouda. Sometimes I make eggs with a mix of onion, cauliflower, and gouda. Delicious.

Lunches are often a simple tuna salad, made with tuna, mayo, and bread & butter pickles - (its a sweet pickle). I eat it with five crackers that are 1 1/2 carbs each that are made with rice and quinoa flours with five additional seeds. They're wonderfully crunchy. With it I have a mix of non-starchy raw vegetables though I usually include some carrot too.

Lunch can be everything you normally put in your favorite sandwich, chopped up, and thrown into a bowl.

I love pickled beets. Still enjoy them, I keep them in the fridge and eat a little bit each day.

I like making chicken salads too, usually with some mayo, onion, celery, 4 or 5 chopped grapes to bump up the flavor, and some chopped cashews or walnuts to add texture.

A salad of leafy greens and purples with red cabbage, nuts, some chicken, and whatever other vegetables sound good, topped with a viniagrette of 2/3 oil and 1/3 vinegar, perhaps with some spices is yummy. I sometimes add some parmesan cheese, or perhaps some berries

Lunches can also be left overs from dinner.

I often make meals from scratch, eat some, then freeze the remaining portions for easy grab and go meals.

Dinner is often some type of animal protein with vegetables. I look for low carb recipes in cookbooks and online.

Sometimes I try to figure out how to make a dish I enjoyed at a restaurant. Making a mushroom swiss burger is easy. I throw a ground beef patty into a fry pan with butter and lots of sliced mushrooms. While cooking, I slice some swiss cheese. Next, I mince some garlic and mix it with some mayo. I then pile the cooked mushrooms on the patty, top with the swiss cheese, and heat covered until the cheese melts. I serve it with garlic mayo on the side, also some steamed vegetables.

Have you ever made a pesto with basil, nuts, garlic, parmesan, and olive oil? So good with chicken and zucchini noodles.

At some point, it helps to dive in and figure out how to cook things. It can be as simple as roasting a chicken and finding different ways to eat the chicken each night. I love sliced chicken breast heated in a fry pan. I top it with sliced tomato, thinly sliced onions, and swiss cheese, melt the cheese with the lid on, then serve it with sides of sliced avocado and garlic mayo.

Sauted onion, pulled chicken, enchilada sauce, grated cheddar cheese, and cilantro is another easy meal to make in the fry pan.

Sometimes I make a huge taco salad, without the corn chips, and eat it for days. Instead of using a store bought salad dressing, I just dish up some salad then add salsa, sourcream, and some avocados.

Many of the things you eat in restaurants can be made at home if you're willing to try. I find that making food ahead really helps. Some days I have time to cook, others, not so much.

There are so many great flavors out there. And you're worth it. Nothing feels as good as being healthy.

Sometimes it helps to find a really good multivitamin made from whole foods to give your body a bit of a boost. Make sure you're getting enough salt in you foods daily. If you don't, you'll find it difficult to stay hydrated even if you're drinking water throughout the day, and you won't feel good. Staying hydrated is important. And moving is important too. If you can take short walks daily, that will improve blood circulation, which will also make you feel better.

When I started eating this way four years ago. I didn't know how to cook. Most people today don't know how to cook. I wasn't alone with this problem. If I can learn, trust me, you can too. I'm still learning. With each year, it gets a little easier. If I come late at night, and I have nothing to eat, I cook up some eggs. It doesn't have to be complicated. Keep it simple.

Hope you can find someone to buddy with on this. It's so much more fun finding a partner when taking on new adventures in learning. :)

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Get an omelette right with spinach, bacon, mushrooms, asparagus and spring onions, KNOW how to flip it, fold it and then you REALLY start to learn. It ain't hard

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike D, I prefer making stove top frittatas to omelets. It takes time but is easier. :)

Here's how to make a stove top frittata for one person...

If adding ham, sausage, or bacon, cook that first, cut up if needed, then set aside.

Add butter - (drippings from bacon) - to a 10" fry pan on low heat. (Level of heat varies. Low heat works best on my gas stove).

If including onion, chop and add onion to butter in the pan, cover with lid, and cook while prepping other ingredients.

Cut up vegetables, mushrooms, tomatos, etc, whatever sounds good. Basil or spinach can be nice additions too.

Add to pan and steam with lid on for 8 minutes minutes or so. Time varies from stove to stove.

If adding cheese, crumble, grate, or slice cheese into small pieces. Set aside.

Use fork to scramble 2 eggs in a small bowl, set aside.

When contents of pan are cooked, add egg, salt, spices, any meat that you cooked and set aside, then top with cheese.

Put lid on pan, cook until egg is done. (I cook on a gas stove so 4 minutes is about right, but it varies from stove to stove).

Using a spatula, loosen half of the egg mixture from half of the pan, then fold over onto the other half. Then cut that half in half and use spatula to transfer each section to the plate.

I do not make frittatas in the oven. Would only do so if I was cooking for a group of people. Making stovetop frittatas are great for one person. They can be made the night before and reheated using the microwave in the morning, but they're so much better fresh from the pan. ;)

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Might be but prefer people learn the long way to becoming a half decent cook. Thick chicken filleted with stuffed bacon and asparagus and toothpicked? Perfect ... and they keep well As I said, learn :)

Small serve shredded hash browns? Perfect

Reactions: Winnie53

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Winnie,

Thanks for replying. I do know how to cook. I really do appreciate it- having positive empathetic responses has made such a difference since my diagnosis- thank you so much!

The problem is that I have always been a picky eater. I have tried many many vegetables over the years- we have grown a lot ourselves as we live rurally. I don't like them. I like potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potatoes - oh and fresh peas just picked. I can tolerate tomatoes to an extent but after a couple of meals- really can't.

This is letting people know the rest of this post is very negative and full of self-pity. I am not in a good place right now. It hasn't helped that my beautiful daughter is feeling suicidal as well as one of my friends. I have had a fair bit of time lately being supportive of them and have lost any sense of proportion. Read the rest of my post at my peril. I think what I hope is that when I read this again in a while (weeks months who knows) I can see how far I have come. I don't feel as miserable as this every day though truthfully I haven't felt at all positive about this since the diagnosis.

I don't like spinach though I'm eating it every day. I hate things like cabbage, broccoli, celery, mushrooms and the like. I can't stomach any more cauliflower rice or mash for at least another week or so- I think I've eaten more cauliflower in the last 7 weeks then in the rest of my long life.

Sorry- I know I'm being really negative. I really can cook. My specialties were pavlova (Australian) pumpkin pie, buche de noel. Notice- all carb heavy.

I have never liked meat. Before this I would eat red meat maybe 2-3 times a year. I used to like chicken ( we would have roast chicken with stuffing- yum. roast potatoes another yum.

We would make our own bread- fresh bread with jam- another yum- or even just fresh bread on its own.

As I said- a real carboholic.

I used to be okay with eggs- again fresh eggs from our free range chooks but I now find I might be able to eat one but certainly don't like them any more.

We have Keto baked egg custard- that is okay.

The stuff I've had at a restaurant that I've enjoyed has been raw fish- that can be difficult where I live as no access to fresh fish where we live. But I have found one restaurant about an hour or so away that does really yummy raw fish of a couple of types- that is my now go to place to go out.

Anyway- no doubt I will just keep on keeping on. I would like there to be one meal a week that I could really look forward to be that seems to be a thing of the past. Food used to be my go to comfort- did I mention milk chocolate.
What I am glad about is that all my kids love vegetables and (except for my vegan child) also love meat- when/if they become diabetic it will be an easier road for them.

I do a fair bit of exercise- cross trainer and walking most days- while I don't like exercise I learned ages ago- it's like making our bed- you don't have to like it you just need to do it. I guess what I need to do is apply that motto to my food- you don't need to like it- just eat it.

Anyway- enough of my really **** self pity. This is the only place (apart from my wonderful husband) that I vent, I can safely promise that having typed this much of wallowing in self pity I'm good to go and be positive for a few more weeks.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
VashtiB, if you're using food as a drug to feel better, everything you wrote makes sense to me. Only starches or sugars have that effect.

When eating foods that don't include starches or sugars, it's the oils and fats that make the meal satiating. I would not enjoy those foods if I didn't also include oils and fats. The LCHF/Keto diet requires healthy oils and fats to work so you're getting enough calories.

Beyond that, I don't know anything else to offer at the moment. Would love to hear back from you when you find your way through this.

I've known some picky eaters. I just always assumed it lessened with time and positive food experiences. Surely someone, somewhere is writing about this problem. Might be worth googling.

Last edited:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am addicted to carbs. I have followed the LCHF for 7 weeks now- I still crave carbs very day and for a lot of the day.
Hi Vash, perhaps low carb is not for you. Perhaps you should look at low GI food. :bookworm:

You say you have been doing LCHF it for 7 weeks now, I am going to make an assumption correct me if I am wrong, you are doing LCHF to loose weight, reduce blood glucose numbers and ultimately revers your condition.

On the assumption that is correct, it takes about 3 months to achieve bg low enough to be considered reversed. So you are almost there. Keep going well done you. :D

You don't relish a life time of eating food you don't enjoy, who would.
You should find when you have reduced your bg levels to non diabetic you body can handle sugar better this is not to say go crazy and fall back into a high carb diet again. There are many on here who do not follow LCHF the majority of us do but that is not to say it is the only way. I would start looking around on the boards for low GI posts or start your own post to ask questions.

Start looking at food you can eat and enjoy. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am addicted to carbs. I have followed the LCHF for 7 weeks now- I still crave carbs very day and for a lot of the day. If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness- say cancer I think I would feel a sense of relief and start eating what I like. I like practically nothing in the LCHF diet and the things I kind of liked I now don't having eaten them much more than I am used to- I sandwich- yes that would be great- eggs and bacon- I'll choke them down because I am very very hungry.

1) If you can don’t eliminate all carbs. If you can. Cutting them down to an appropriate minimum might be the next best thing.
2) Try and find lchf foods that you can replace the carb treats with. Cheeses, nuts, full fat milk and greek yoghurt, low carb fruit etc etc etc is how I deal with it.
3) Consider sweetners in drinks and foods. I bought some lower carb ice cream the other week that uses artificial sweetners, for example.
4) Cooking your way out of it is a good idea though one I find difficult to do, personally.

These are just suggestions based on my own approach. You might find them useful in dealing with your particular liking of carb foods.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Winnie,

Thanks for replying. I do know how to cook. I really do appreciate it- having positive empathetic responses has made such a difference since my diagnosis- thank you so much!

The problem is that I have always been a picky eater. I have tried many many vegetables over the years- we have grown a lot ourselves as we live rurally. I don't like them. I like potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potatoes - oh and fresh peas just picked. I can tolerate tomatoes to an extent but after a couple of meals- really can't.

This is letting people know the rest of this post is very negative and full of self-pity. I am not in a good place right now. It hasn't helped that my beautiful daughter is feeling suicidal as well as one of my friends. I have had a fair bit of time lately being supportive of them and have lost any sense of proportion. Read the rest of my post at my peril. I think what I hope is that when I read this again in a while (weeks months who knows) I can see how far I have come. I don't feel as miserable as this every day though truthfully I haven't felt at all positive about this since the diagnosis.

I don't like spinach though I'm eating it every day. I hate things like cabbage, broccoli, celery, mushrooms and the like. I can't stomach any more cauliflower rice or mash for at least another week or so- I think I've eaten more cauliflower in the last 7 weeks then in the rest of my long life.

Sorry- I know I'm being really negative. I really can cook. My specialties were pavlova (Australian) pumpkin pie, buche de noel. Notice- all carb heavy.

I have never liked meat. Before this I would eat red meat maybe 2-3 times a year. I used to like chicken ( we would have roast chicken with stuffing- yum. roast potatoes another yum.

We would make our own bread- fresh bread with jam- another yum- or even just fresh bread on its own.

As I said- a real carboholic.

I used to be okay with eggs- again fresh eggs from our free range chooks but I now find I might be able to eat one but certainly don't like them any more.

We have Keto baked egg custard- that is okay.

The stuff I've had at a restaurant that I've enjoyed has been raw fish- that can be difficult where I live as no access to fresh fish where we live. But I have found one restaurant about an hour or so away that does really yummy raw fish of a couple of types- that is my now go to place to go out.

Anyway- no doubt I will just keep on keeping on. I would like there to be one meal a week that I could really look forward to be that seems to be a thing of the past. Food used to be my go to comfort- did I mention milk chocolate.
What I am glad about is that all my kids love vegetables and (except for my vegan child) also love meat- when/if they become diabetic it will be an easier road for them.

I do a fair bit of exercise- cross trainer and walking most days- while I don't like exercise I learned ages ago- it's like making our bed- you don't have to like it you just need to do it. I guess what I need to do is apply that motto to my food- you don't need to like it- just eat it.

Anyway- enough of my really **** self pity. This is the only place (apart from my wonderful husband) that I vent, I can safely promise that having typed this much of wallowing in self pity I'm good to go and be positive for a few more weeks.

Not self pity. You have a lot to be anxious about and anxiety can affect taste and appetite. I dont know where in the world you are, or what meds you are on - if any. Be gentle with yourself. You are doing the best you can under the circumstances.

PS I see you are on metformin. That can make foods taste different, and affect appetite.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @VashtiB, are you low carb or VERY low carb (there's a difference). I am what you might call low carb (around 100 carbs a day, sometimes slightly more, sometimes much less). This means I will eat a slice of wholemeal toast (around 20 carbs) or for tea a plate of oven roast underground veg, ie, squash (which I can hardly tell is different from sweet potato), along with aubergines, a variety of peppers etc. A bowl comes to around 20 carbs also. I might have a hot chocolate in the evening (made with a mixture of cream/milk/high quality 75% chocolate). Very small amounts of carbs relatively speaking supplemented with lower carb foods such as cheese, nuts, olives, meat and so on. Most us probably miss carbs but with the way you are feeling, maybe introduce a few extra carbs as I do, you could still be well under the 130 carbs classified as low carb. It could help you find the rest of it more palatable. Obviously you can test the effects on your glucose levels. You could also have more carbs in a sauce (think a yummy chicken curry for example). Dare I say it even a small amount of rice contains about 30 carbs, perfectly doable if you are happy being low carb rather than keto carb. x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @VashtiB, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I'd like to say we are all different, if low carb isn't working for you then you can weigh your carbs in a range of amounts from 5g-20g per meal, then test to see how much carbs your body can tolerate without bumping you to double figures. Some type 2s can tolerate some carbs, not everyone is low carb. I know some get away with eating a slice of toast with eggs, bacon, cheese or whatever toppings they add for breakfast and some can't tolerate it so they won't touch it. Do whatever works for you. If you can tolerate 100g of carbs per day, you can split that into 5 meals of 20g carbs combining with other low carb food items to keep yourself happy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking Metformin one of the strangest things was how flavours altered - it was a very strange situation - years ago I used to work as a taster for Allied Lyons, the tea people, and now I cannot drink tea, I think it affected me mentally to no longer have the same sense of taste and smell which was so important and valued. Other drinks and the foods I still eat are fine now - so if your problem could be in part to your taste being altered it could be worth trying to do without the Metformin if it helps with the diet, as diet is such a powerful reducer of blood glucose levels when it works for you.

Reactions: sweetierufus

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi vashtib
Remember me, how I had been trying to.likr beetroot and failed? Well, recently at a friends house was offered a small dish of beetroot purée, was going to get it down somehow, just to be polite, but it was delicious, cooked, puréed, blended with red pepper purée, balsamic vinegar and boursin cheese.
So keep on experimenting, you may well find something you like.