Worried about Brexit, anyone else?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did read a rumour (?) that medicines are being stockpiled . . . . . . .in Belgium

A bit of misreporting....

There are 101 companies sending deliveries from the EU in seperate vans to NHS hospitals ever day. The concept is that they will each send one lorry each day to that centre, and then there will be one lorry from that center to each hospital.

NHS surplays already has it setup in the UK with an every increasing number of companies using it. The items are even presorted for each ward, so there is one trolley on the lorry for each ward. (it is also intergrated with hospital accounting systems to save lots of paperwork.)

Drugs are the easy part of the NHS surplies arrangements.........

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UK.org i think

I'm not upto date on their stance regarding the concerns on the situation...

On "co.uk," you brought up a valid concern. To which with no doubt you were not eligible to vote on whilst the "concept" of Brexit was conceived & implemented.

All I can suggest, is plan ahead for your own possible "worst case scenario." & don't hold your breath for an "Oxfam" style supply drop...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't we Brits make things hard for ourselves?! All this fuss. All we needed to do was stay in tbe EU and we wouldn't have these problems.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

There are 101 companies sending deliveries from the EU in seperate vans to NHS hospitals ever day. The concept is that they will each send one lorry each day to that centre, and then there will be one lorry from that center to each hospital.

NHS surplays already has it setup in the UK with an every increasing number of companies using it. The items are even presorted for each ward, so there is one trolley on the lorry for each ward. (it is also intergrated with hospital accounting systems to save lots of paperwork.)

Drugs are the easy part of the NHS surplies arrangements.........
That’s fine if you’re an inpatient but hospitals won’t be holding supplies for the rest of us to go and get some insulin if we run out. We’re reliant on the commercial pharmacy network.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Did you try responding this this blog about the topic (which was updated yesterday)?
https://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=11050
At the bottom there is a link and a comment
We want this blog to be as useful a resource as possible, so please let us know your questions using our online form. We will do our best to find answers to them through our contact with the government.

I have looked at it and the blog is very useful and informative.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The trip across the channel is not a high altitude one - come to think of it it used to be done at just above wave top height not so long ago - but if things got really bad there must be a Biggles somewhere who could send a coded message and arrange a pickup somewhere on foreign soil in order to bring back supplies.
The entire Dutch merchant marine crossed the channel by night in the blackout and barrels of contraband were brought ashore avoiding the Revenue back in the day - no need to panic quite yet, I think.

Reactions: Dodo

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I did think it was the sort of thing that Boris's old journalist mates would have dreamed up. You sound as though you have insider knowledge because everything you read when googling for answers to the question of post Brexit supplies are rather negative. I have known for a long time how unreliable even the BBC are so I'm not surprised that what I read is normally different from what is actually happening.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Don't we Brits make things hard for ourselves?! All this fuss. All we needed to do was stay in tbe EU and we wouldn't have these problems.

I think it all started when we Brits didn't want to discuss the subject. We were already aware at how divisive rather than decisive, a referendum would be. I would love to continue but I better not . . . . . .
I'm already struggling to get Freestyle Libre sensors and I thought they were made in the UK. Just hoping supply doesn't entirely dry up.

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They really need to inform us before October 31st, it's crazy how it's got to this point

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Now this made me laugh! Problem is first time he stopped half way there and never got going again!

Probably weighed down with all of our Insulin o_O

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The EU is going to be seriously effected also as we export a huge amount of medications into the EU and the problem for them is not only logistical the licencing for medication used will have to be sorted as UK produced meds will no longer be covered by EU licencing regulations.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Where do our other supplies (strips, needles etc) come from?
Even if I have insulin, if I can't test I'd be in serious trouble quickly. Guessing these things are a bit easier to stockpile, as less problems with shelf life, but the current situation does not inspire confidence

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My test strip's and insulin both come from Europe but as the government is not able to get a deal yet and unable to agree about anything it's not sure what to think as up to now it looks like the government is going to be going to Brussels for another extension of article 50 and that Johnson can't even find a brush for his hair never mind the country and Brexit so I don't trust the government or the Tories full stop as all they have done is cut money from different sources and different places and even us and now the country is getting sick of them and just want something done and even if that means staying where we are is better than the way he's after and having nothing for the country and that is what he is after no plans for you and the country and just out of Europe and that is the same for farrage he just says anything and people think it's brilliant but it is just never going to happen

edited by moderator to remove content in breach of the forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
#DeathByBrexit is trending on Twitter, alot of diabetics raising their concerns