Newly diagnosed

MidwifeDee

Hi All
Found out 4 weeks ago that I have a type 2. I’m 47 and mother of 2. I also work as a midwife. BMI 38 so tall and over weight. Bloods 76. Not shocked but upset I have not looked after myself. However, since diagnosis I have lost 1 1/2 stone and started exercise which after 1 week seemed to make a difference to my bg. Went from 9 to 7 on wakening, lowest reading 6.8. However, been back at work and bg rising even though low carb diet. Do you think it could be stress? Not on meds yet. Any advice welcome.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

What a great way to start losing 11/2 stone- I'm envious.

I have found that stress definitely effects my bg levels. Which when the bg levels increase makes me stress- which is not helpful.

How low carb are you going? You may want to consider reducing your carbs to a Keto level and seeing how your levels go. It also may be that it will take some time for your levels to settle down to a lower level. Are they still in the 6s during the day?

Welcome!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your readings two hours after starting to eat?
Tweaking the food choices and amounts can make a big difference to blood glucose levels. Once I was regularly getting under 8mmol/l after meals I kept to the same regime and numbers continued to fall and I have been at the top edge of normal for some time now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

MidwifeDee

Hello and welcome.

What a great way to start losing 11/2 stone- I'm envious.

I have found that stress definitely effects my bg levels. Which when the bg levels increase makes me stress- which is not helpful.

How low carb are you going? You may want to consider reducing your carbs to a Keto level and seeing how your levels go. It also may be that it will take some time for your levels to settle down to a lower level. Are they still in the 6s during the day?

Welcome!

More 7-9 in the day. If I have anything like cake even a tiny piece ( which I did on my birthday) they shoot up to 12. Seeing nurse in Nov for review to see if I need Metformin.

MidwifeDee

What are your readings two hours after starting to eat?
Tweaking the food choices and amounts can make a big difference to blood glucose levels. Once I was regularly getting under 8mmol/l after meals I kept to the same regime and numbers continued to fall and I have been at the top edge of normal for some time now.

Wow. That’s good to know. I have really slashed my portions which I feel ok with now. I try and keep under 130g if carbs and track on my fitness pal. Mostly live of salad and meat. Still seeing what triggers as early days. More exercise. Exercise makes a difference and can lower by bg. Just need to get a steady routine going. Every where I look is carbs/sugar!!!! Thank you.

kencom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Differing info from various people and organisations
In most areas you have a Diabetes disciplinary team . I felt my diabetic nurse at the surgery was not very good so I contacted the Diabetic disciplinary team who I see quite regular while the get me on track. If you live in Northampton give them a call and if this is not your area I am sure they can point you in the right direction 01536 492121 or 01327 708113 they cover all of Northamptonshire.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. That’s good to know. I have really slashed my portions which I feel ok with now. I try and keep under 130g if carbs and track on my fitness pal. Mostly live of salad and meat. Still seeing what triggers as early days. More exercise. Exercise makes a difference and can lower by bg. Just need to get a steady routine going. Every where I look is carbs/sugar!!!! Thank you.
130gm of carb - ah - I stick to under 40 gm.
I do not live on salad and meat - but 130 gm of carbs from salad is one huge salad - I'd need a bucket rather than the large bowl I actually use.
Sugar is a carb, it is included, so you don't count both the total carb and the sugar - if that is what you are doing.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi - I think exercise can be really helpful but I think diet is probably more important.

I also keep to much lower carbs but that is what is working for me. Now that you are checking for what triggers it should get a bit easier.

I agree- carbs are everywhere!