Type 2 Onion replacement

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So was In shop today and fancied burgers. Bit all were 3G carbs.

So I decided to make my own.
20% fat beef mince, cheese mixed in some chilli flakes and onion. 1 onion divide between 4.

Just looked and that means about 1.5 carbs which must come from just the onion.

The burger was absolutely delicious. The best I’ve made.

But I’d like to get them down to virtually nothing.

With the burger I had baked aubergine covered in cheese with tomato.

IMG_0491.jpg

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
That does make my meal 4.5 carbs or thereabouts. I could reduce amount of aubergine I guess.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not sure why you want to get below 4.5g carbs in a meal but you could try a little garlic instead. Or a tiny sprinkle of a crumbled stock cube?
However, those will not provide the same nutrients so check what minerals/vitamins you need.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your bg readings are FAR more relevant than the fact your meal contains 5g more or less carbs.

Try eating the meal a few times with onion, and a few times without. Don’t rely on just one reading. Meters aren’t that accurate.

Once you know whether a few g of carbs from onion makes any difference at all, you can make an informed decision.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tried them yet so can't say what they are like but I purchased some 100% beef burgers, zero carbs, from Iceland the other day. Think they were £2.00 for 4 quarter pounders.

Reactions: woollygal

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use onion and garlic granulates/powder. In my opinion they give a better flavour, you can add any dry ingredient to a burger, think outside the box with your dried herbs and spices, then you can add grated cheese, diced feta, a bit of tomato purée, cream cheese, even a dash of cream - I don't usually bind with an egg I just wait and see if it needs it. It doesn't have to be beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey make great burgers

Don't overmix as this can make the meat tough. I bought a burger press for a couple of pounds, makes the shaping easier and a firmer burger for cooking and you are handling your mix less. As long as anything you are using hasn't been frozen before you can do them in batches for the freezer, just remember to put a square of silicone paper between each one

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I use onion and garlic granulates/powder. In my opinion they give a better flavour, you can add any dry ingredient to a burger, think outside the box with your dried herbs and spices, then you can add grated cheese, diced feta, a bit of tomato purée, cream cheese, even a dash of cream - I don't usually bind with an egg I just wait and see if it needs it. It doesn't have to be beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey make great burgers

Don't overmix as this can make the meat tough. I bought a burger press for a couple of pounds, makes the shaping easier and a firmer burger for cooking and you are handling your mix less. As long as anything you are using hasn't been frozen before you can do them in batches for the freezer, just remember to put a square of silicone paper between each one

Didn’t think if Garlic.

So if I can get onion powder does that count as no carbs?

Thanks for press ideas just bought one

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Chives, leeks (the white parts only), shallots .and green onions (also known as scallions) all have a lot of the flavor, but are probably much the same carb wise I use onion powder in a lot of what I cook.

just to add onion powder is just under 2g of carbs per teaspoon.

Last edited:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Chives, leeks (the white parts only), shallots .and green onions (also known as scallions) all have a lot of the flavor, but are probably much the same carb wise I use onion powder in a lot of what I cook.

just to add onion powder is just under 2g of carbs per teaspoon.

So is that the same as an actual onion?

Also seem to get bit windy from onion these days so powder might help with that.
Thanks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So is that the same as an actual onion?

Also seem to get bit windy from onion these days so powder might help with that.
Thanks
Don't forget onion powder is concentrated in comparison to an actual onion so an onion may have 7 to 9 grams of carbs per 100 grams powder has 79 grams per 100 grams but you only use a little half a teaspoon about 1 gram of carb.

Reactions: woollygal

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity, what where your pre and post meal glucose levels?

I agree 100% with @Brunneria - I'm much more concerned with managing my glucose levels and then, if required, adjusting the quantity of carbs involved.

Robbity

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just out of curiosity, what where your pre and post meal glucose levels?

I agree 100% with @Brunneria - I'm much more concerned with managing my glucose levels and then, if required, adjusting the quantity of carbs involved.

Robbity

Because I thought it was so low carb I didn’t test after. I was so stuffed I fell asleep lol.

I’m planning on doing it again tomorrow. Although it will be different beef as I don’t have 20% left.

It was only after I counted the carbs.