First week testing

Paulm80

IMG_1405.jpg

This this is my first week testing had a few 6s early in the week but generally have been 5s and some 4s . Hbac1 is Thursday what would be the estimation off these figures?
Also cholesterol was 4.5 last time - should I expect this to rise? I’ve lost a lot of weight but been eating more cheese , eggs and meat
Triglycerides were very high last time but I’ve heard low carb is best for reducing them , so hoping they have come done as well!
Thank you

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your numbers are looking good, however it’s really difficult to estimate your HbA1c from finger pricks as you may be missing highs and lows in between time. I use the MySugr app which when you have input enough data will provide an estimated HbA1c. I emphasise ‘estimated’ as it’s not entirely accurate because of the reasons I just mentioned, however it is good for looking at trends up and down.
With regard to your cholesterol tests, please make sure you fast for 12ish hours beforehand (you can drink water). Many surgeries don’t state that fasting is required but if you ate a fatty breakfast before the test your triglycerides will be raised artificially. And lastly if you’re still losing weight expect your numbers to be raised. Come back here with your results and we will help you interpret them if you like, before you make any decisions about meds.

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

Your numbers are looking good, however it’s really difficult to estimate your HbA1c from finger pricks as you may be missing highs and lows in between time. I use the MySugr app which when you have input enough data will provide an estimated HbA1c. I emphasise ‘estimated’ as it’s not entirely accurate because of the reasons I just mentioned, however it is good for looking at trends up and down.
With regard to your cholesterol tests, please make sure you fast for 12ish hours beforehand (you can drink water). Many surgeries don’t state that fasting is required but if you ate a fatty breakfast before the test your triglycerides will be raised artificially. And lastly if you’re still losing weight expect your numbers to be raised. Come back here with your results and we will help you interpret them if you like, before you make any decisions about meds.

Thanks, will do, why will losing weight raise cholesterol?

Paulm80

Molecules of cholesterol are the trucks which move fat out of cells to be broken down for energy. Losing weight usually requires more trucks for the transport.

Ok thanks - no idea about that! It’s the triglycerides I’m mostly concerned about anyway even though I’m not convinced they are as important as people make out, I’d never heard of them until 3 months ago!
Told dr I have no intention of taking medication for anything she was cool with that as long as things are going in right direction. Lucky to have a pretty clued up dr , some people are just given tablets and let loose!

Reactions: Rachox and Antje77

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks - no idea about that! It’s the triglycerides I’m mostly concerned about anyway even though I’m not convinced they are as important as people make out, I’d never heard of them until 3 months ago!
Told dr I have no intention of taking medication for anything she was cool with that as long as things are going in right direction. Lucky to have a pretty clued up dr , some people are just given tablets and let loose!
Yes - that is what I got - Metformin and a statin - I was so ill, both mentally and physically, the last part of 2016 is just a blur.

Paulm80

Yes - that is what I got - Metformin and a statin - I was so ill, both mentally and physically, the last part of 2016 is just a blur.

It’s shocking my boss has been diagnosed recently and just given medication and no info at all, he’s not changed known to change his diet usual thing thinks brown bread is fine etc, cereal and oats all good!
My dr pretty much said all the things people on here say, she said to go LCHF straight away!

Reactions: JAT1 and Rachox

Paulm80

Also I was talking to a my mums neighbours and told them I’d been diagnosed and they said we both used to be type 2s we are type 1s now coz we inject!
I’m no expert but ........

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I was talking to a my mums neighbours and told them I’d been diagnosed and they said we both used to be type 2s we are type 1s now coz we inject!

Yeah, that is a very common misconception! Sometimes healthcare professionals spread it too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry to mark this as funny, there wasn’t really an icon that suited, so I resorted to I have to laugh or else I’d cry. Such lack of knowledge and understanding of the two quite separate diseases