Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon friends, another lay in and tomorrow is going to be quite busy. BG was 5.9 so not too shabby and no hypos yesterday. :) I forgot to mention HMRC asked a lot of questions for requesting evidence of my NI number and somehow I remembered my extremely old address. But they'll send it through the post :) I've looked more into the pump and sensor and it's like an additional 7 steps to apply the sensor. I think I'll grab my bf by the ear for help. :hilarious:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski it's fantastic you are preparing for your pump and getting to know how it works.
I would say "don't panic" about whether you will struggle when you have a real one. The Pump Bootcamp will walk you through it and probably in a way that makes sense to the guy who has never looked at anything on the Internet, let alone watching the Medtronic vids.
The great thing about your preparations is the list of questions you will have beforehand and knowing when to ask them and when to pay special attention.
On my pump intro, and one of the women bought her husband along so they could learn together. And some of us exchanged email addresses so we could help each other out.
Then there are one or two people on the forum who have a little bit of experience.
Thank you, I've seen other pumperinos have been able to apply the sensor by themselves. I find it shocking that it's not as simple as sticking a libre sensor on. Why does medical equipment have to be so wasteful? the amount of plastic is making me scream. I have written down a few questions to ask for an in depth answer. Did you have any skin reactions when you had your tubed pump? I don't know whether it is worth preparing for that, I'm not having any issues wearing a libre sensor and I know the glue patch could be different.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mild irritation so was able to get SkinTac. This is no longer available for me but Animas were over generous so I still have some spare.
When they run out, I will try cavolin (sp?) because it is cheaper.
As we are all different, I would try without first. If you find you need something it is available from most pharmacies or online.

I agree on the amount of wastage. I find the Libre applicator is wasteful and wish I could recycle more.
Animas provided all the reservoirs and cannula in non recyclable plastic wrap which annoyed me.
But I did pull the cannula applicator apart and recycle as much as possible. The extra advantage was less to go in the sharps bin so that lasted longer.
I did have a look at a few different skin application products but thank you, I'll see if it's okay on the skin. Oh gosh, I said the same thing over and over again to my bf, could Abbort not make a reusable inserter for the sensor and just pack the sensors into a smaller box?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, busy weekend, people here all day yesterday, catching up with myself today. @Cumberland lovely picture of your little girl, bet she's as sweet as she looks.

Not much to report, bg okay, puppy intermittently fab and not so fab (as in when she has no intention of doing anything I know she's learnt because there's something she'd rather do). @Mel dCP your course sounds fascinating; I sometimes think I need to go back to study to keep my brain working though if I ever do it'll be for me rather than the great job you're training for. And the beach looks great!

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found these videos on the Medtronic 640 very useful, before I got the pump and after. Think there are about 8 of them and very light hearted and informative

Reactions: therower

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
giphy-downsized.gif

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope everyone is enjoying what's left of the weekend. I found the most perfect shirt, it has a text on it that says "Iced coffee and insulin" and I thought that's so me. :hilarious::hilarious: Unfortunately the shirt is $35 :arghh::grumpy:

Reactions: Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I hope everyone is enjoying what's left of the weekend
Well, I’m in A&E waiting to get my head X-rayed after falling and whacking it on a bedside table just to make sure I’ve not broken my cheekbone. Or my jaw. Plus I might have concussion. Hey ho. On the plus side, I hardly spilt any of the coffee I was holding at the time :D

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I’m in A&E waiting to get my head X-rayed after falling and whacking it on a bedside table just to make sure I’ve not broken my cheekbone. Or my jaw. Plus I might have concussion. Hey ho. On the plus side, I hardly spilt any of the coffee I was holding at the time :D
Ouch, I hope you feel better soon. How did that happen? accidentally slipped? :(

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ouch, I hope you feel better soon. How did that happen? accidentally slipped? :(
Got my foot caught in the loop handle of a jute bag of hangers on my wardrobe door that had slipped off the knob. Fell full length to the floor an clobbered my head on the bedside table. And then again on a little wooden stool next to it. Got a cut to my temple and a graze to my cheekbone.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my foot caught in the loop handle of a jute bag of hangers on my wardrobe door that had slipped off the knob. Fell full length to the floor an clobbered my head on the bedside table. And then again on a little wooden stool next to it. Got a cut to my temple and a graze to my cheekbone.
Oh man, do we need to wrap you in bubble wrap? :arghh:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Get Husbeast and the Youth to divert staff, stick the x-ray machine in your battle handbag, then hide it in your purple shed.

I'm not entirely sure why you should embark on that sort of illegal activity, but gut instinct tells me that, post-Brexit, there's going to be a huge demand for "off licence" x-ray scans in the valleys.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get Husbeast and the Youth to divert staff, stick the x-ray machine in your battle handbag, then hide it in your purple shed.

I'm not entirely sure why you should embark on that sort of illegal activity, but gut instinct tells me that, post-Brexit, there's going to be a huge demand for "off licence" x-ray scans in the valleys.
I have a secret stash of oreos and coke somewhere if yall need hypo treatments. :hilarious:

Reactions: Kim Possible

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope they don’t keep you waiting too long. :banghead:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a secret stash of oreos and coke somewhere if yall need hypo treatments. :hilarious:

I'm stockpiling Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, 15g a pop.

If society breaks down, there's no reason why we shouldn't still be sophisticated about hypo treatments...

Am going to have to find some room in the bunker for some Marzipan Ritter Sport too.

lead.png

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm stockpiling Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, 15g a pop.

If society breaks down, there's no reason why we shouldn't still be sophisticated about hypo treatments...

Am going to have to find some room in the bunker for some Marzipan Ritter Sport too.

View attachment 35692
Careful mate. Look at the trouble the spiders caused. We only need a dyslexic kamelaphobic and it could all kick off again