Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am deeply frustrated with diebetus. I tried another ratio with rice tonight and I didn’t even spike but instead I plummeted. *bins diebetus*

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you eat with the rice?
If you ate a high fat curry, for example, your insulin peak may have occurred before your carb peak. Hence a hypo which may be followed by a high when your carbs peak. Your meal may need a split bolus.
This will be easier when you are pumping.

For example, I used to get a low followed a few hours later by a high when I ate curry and rice. With a pump, i take 50% of my insulin straight away and the other 50% over 3.5 hours. This keeps my bg flattish as it tracks the slow carb absorption due to the fat.

I had yesterday’s tofu and mushroom thai curry. I only prebolused for the rice. It wasn’t fattening because I didn’t use any coconut cream or milk, I didn’t have coconut milk for the curry so I used soy milk. (Thai curry paste + soy milk, extra spices) Skimmed thai curry anyone? I’ve reduced tresiba so I’m waiting for that to settle in. I didn’t think to split bolus for this particular meal due to the absence of fat, but I think it may have helped?
Could I chuck diabetes in the bin?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn’t low prior to the meal either, but from past experience, rice does spike me. So I did prebolus around 2-3 mins before my meal and tucked in.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will try again tomorrow and see if another reduction helps. I know today has been a bit warm but I doubt that contributed to anything later on in the evening.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea about skimmed Thai curry. It's not one I've tried. Although I have a lovely recipe for cashew nut curry (you make a paste out of the cashews). That deffo needs a split bolus.
Do you ever put stuff in the bin and your bf decides he thinks it's worth keeping just in case? You find it has jumped out of the bin and no matter how many times you put it in the trash, someone will take it out. Even if you put it in the rubbish the day the bin men are coming,... yep, it finds its way out.
That's diabetes. Even if you push it to the bottom of the bin, cover it in potato peelings, used teabags and those polystyrene beans, it will find its way back out again. Eventually, you realise it is less effort to keep it out of the bin.

Cashew sounds good :eek:
I think you just described my lovely mum, she digs into my trash can after I’ve dumped something. Her excuse is my stuff is worth giving away to someone else. Sometimes I find it around her house. Could a reinforced bin help? Burn it with fire? I do understand, it can sleep with me tonight on conditions that it doesn’t pester me. I hope I didn’t jinx that.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had yesterday’s tofu and mushroom thai curry. I only prebolused for the rice. It wasn’t fattening because I didn’t use any coconut cream or milk, I didn’t have coconut milk for the curry so I used soy milk. (Thai curry paste + soy milk, extra spices) Skimmed thai curry anyone? I’ve reduced tresiba so I’m waiting for that to settle in. I didn’t think to split bolus for this particular meal due to the absence of fat, but I think it may have helped?
Could I chuck diabetes in the bin?
Did you go high afterwards? Otherwise maybe it was just a slightly mis-timed prebolus, where the insulin was quicker than the food?

Reactions: MeiChanski

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn’t low prior to the meal either, but from past experience, rice does spike me. So I did prebolus around 2-3 mins before my meal and tucked in.
Oh, wait, hadn't read the next reactions before replying. I thought you were talking a pre bolus of 15 to 50 minutes, I count 2-3 minutes as just bolusing for food.
Could be you just needed less insulin than you thought for that meal on this particular day?
Agree, bin is the best place for this ridiculous condition!

Reactions: MeiChanski

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Aww ...things are finally getting done. Tile in one of the rooms done, shelves in another done and the top of a mountain apple tree chopped off so we have a chance at reaching the fruit next year. Of course even though we might be able to reach it I have my doubts we will get any as the birds had a field day before it even looked like they were ripening. I'm not sure I care as I wasn't impressed by the fruit. It is a huge tree that was here when we moved in last year. I'm planting a papaya and a pomegranate that I bought and will also get an avocado and maybe a mango. And I have 3 sugarloaf pineapples already planted and growing.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1561140088165.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh true, so when do I buy that lovely Porsche to make myself feel young again? :hilarious:

From the experinced feedback from folk of advanced years. They tell me it's easier to climb up into a vehicle & step down getting out.
Than struggle sitting closer to the ground in a sports vehicle..?

In other news. rolled in from a gig in Bristol last night. (Twixt libres at the moment.)
Been having issue with my Lantus of late, so changed cartridge & a shiney new reusable pen. (About 4 days ago?)
Already discovered I needed to drop a unit on the dosage. Which was done 2 days back.
Set off for 6pm at 5.7 with no active novo on board. Tested at 9.30 during a break 8.2 after the first set which lasted an hour.
Now, at this point I would expect the Lantus to be tailing off..? (I normally dose twix 22.00 & 23.00 hours.)
Get home at just after midnight.. I'd forgot to take my spangly new pen, check blood.. 6.1.. Of course these are all guidelines from my meter. It normally reads 15% higher then the standard NHS calibrated issue. (Seriously, I checked.)

Music therapy..! Woke up on a fiver.. Plus point one.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a pneumonia slayer, I'm a carb killer, keytones killer,
why Aint I in jail. Lol View attachment 35607

Nice tee.
However I see it more as an autoimmune response. leading to a series of unfortunate metabolic events, resulting in constant maintenance & "running repairs" on life's "road trip.."

My "bumper sticker" simply reads, #### happens.. :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, first time I’ve really have chance to spend some time doing very little this week - the first three days were a lot of induction stuff, uniform fitting (yay!) and getting finance etc sorted. Lectures started for real on Thursday, with some basic chemistry, cell biology and infection control, plus a practical on proper hand cleaning. We’ve got some real characters teaching us, some of them could have a career in standup on the side! Things aren’t that different to when I last went to uni, except with more screens. I’m still handwriting notes with a pen, just on my iPad instead of paper. Lots of people are taking notes on actual paper too. Loving the library, there’s a whole section on the Black Death :D

Diabetes is behaving ok, I’ve set Elvis to 80% on school days as there’s a lot of walking (it’s 20 minutes from the car park to our department) and stairs. Our building has nine floors... handily the paramedic training suite is on the ground floor though. Campus is right by the sea, so yesterday I took my library book and lunch to the beach and sat on a log :)

DC011ED0-1C4D-4FEF-B793-E9D4E89ADBF3.jpeg CFB37505-4411-435D-9E4B-583C1724D4F2.jpeg
Starting the sexy stuff next week with hearts, ECGs and defibs. The training dummies we use are actually cast from real people (they look and feel really real) and they have electronics inside that simulate dicky heart rhythms and we can actually shock them. Can’t wait!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Failed to get 2 biscuits, as per protocol before going home if needed, down a fast, out of that door at home time, Young Vampire who's now enjoying pushing all boundaries with a new team! Not too perturbed as the fast-acting carbs had done a much better job than earlier in the week and the re-test figure was high enough for me to check if I still had to give biscuits. Plus, I'm pretty sure most of it was a hypo strop and still feeling too full from a still digesting lunch!! Parents agreed with me.

Still, much may have changed in my working world, but the Friday Baked Beans effect still causes all-round entertainment! I was grateful for a sunny afternoon and the fact most of them chose to go outside for the post-lunch review of the week and chill time. (Friday lunch menu always includes fish, chips and baked beans, most of the students have them, almost all are somewhat windy all afternoon.)

Far too nice a day to be sitting around so I'm toddling off with my camera and the blackberrying boxes. These are unrelated - I don't intend taking photos whilst blackberrying. There's a local church, of one of the Orthodox varieties, which I've never been in that is having an open day as part of a wider Heritage day, and I'm interested in the artwork inside. It's one of the rare occasions photo-taking is allowed in this one. Of course, being an utterly anti-social whatsit on Saturdays, there may be too many people with the same idea for the day for my liking, so it may not happen and I'll just wander off to the many solitary blackberry bushes in the vicinity instead!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon sweet friends, I had a lay in too. BG was 4.9 and I got a bit of a sore throat from eating something sharp few nights ago, which scraped the back of my throat. Slurping yogurt is very attractive. :hilarious: Why is making a phone call so nerve wrecking? I don't want to call HMRC, but I have too. :grumpy:
@Antje77 I'm trying again today and see if another reduction is helpful.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Afternoon. I'm still tired from the puppy standing on top of me from 6 am, encouraging me to get up, even though I'd taken her outside twice. She seems to not ever want to sleep it. Life's to exciting, to filled with possibilities. Or so she says. Have a great day everyone.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon. I'm still tired from the puppy standing on top of me from 6 am, encouraging me to get up, even though I'd taken her outside twice. She seems to not ever want to sleep it. Life's to exciting, to filled with possibilities. Or so she says. Have a great day everyone.
Is puppy cute? :eek: