Nikkipants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Country music and Michael Cera.
Hi guys,
I mostly lurk on here and use all of your advice. So thank you! A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. My doctor put me on 500 mg of metformin once a day, I've been eating very low carb and sugar, and have added some exercise in. Well she never gave me an hba1c test when I was diagnosed and I got one a couple of days ago. It came back at 6.4%. Is that good? It seems like it is pretty good. Conversion looks like 46.4.
Any words of wisdom on how to lower it even more?
Thank you, friends!

Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Congratulations, that's put you into prediabetic territory, if only just.
Most of the T2s on here seem to reckon that diet is the most important thing, so it sounds as if you're on the right track.

I'm a little surprised she did not do an hba1c test when you got diagnosed, plus there are some other tests (c-peptide and GAD) which really should be done to rule out T1 diabetes variants.

I'd recommend getting a blood testing meter if you haven't already, so you can see how your dietary choices are affecting your sugar levels, and adapt accordingly.

Well done on lowering your levels.

Reactions: Nikkipants

Nikkipants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you! I appreciate the input and the encouragement! I didn't realize it was prediabetic territory. So I guess I'm going in the right direction. Thanks again!
Congratulations, that's put you into prediabetic territory, if only just.
Most of the T2s on here seem to reckon that diet is the most important thing, so it sounds as if you're on the right track.

I'm a little surprised she did not do an hba1c test when you got diagnosed, plus there are some other tests (c-peptide and GAD) which really should be done to rule out T1 diabetes variants.

I'd recommend getting a blood testing meter if you haven't already, so you can see how your dietary choices are affecting your sugar levels, and adapt accordingly.

Well done on lowering your levels.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Nikkipants

Welcome and well done.

The doctors had to have a score so they could diagnose you.
I would ask my surgery/ doctor for that HBA1c number... It's important to know where you started, so you know how far you've travelled .

I might be misreading, but
I've been eating very low carb and sugar, and have added some exercise

I presume that means you have cut down on your sugars ?
Sensible stuff.
Have to say I rarely use sugar on its own these days.
For me I just look at and count the carbs in any food I chose to eat.
And of course all those carbs turn into sugar once digested.

And while many 'lurk' on forums, the real benefits come from taking part, and now you've dipped a toe in,.. Getting more involved just got a whole lot easier...;)

Nikkipants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi! My doctor diagnosed me using a fasting blood test. She used the glucose number and the insulin number. She did not take an HBA1C to begin with and it kind of discouraged me because I don't know where I started.

Yes I have cut my sugars and carbs down dramatically. I pretty much stay away from as many processed foods as possible. But certain things I will find alternatives for, like wraps for sandwiches and things like that.
Hi @Nikkipants

Welcome and well done.

The doctors had to have a score so they could diagnose you.
I would ask my surgery/ doctor for that HBA1c number... It's important to know where you started, so you know how far you've travelled .

I might be misreading, but

I presume that means you have cut down on your sugars ?
Sensible stuff.
Have to say I rarely use sugar on its own these days.
For me I just look at and count the carbs in any food I chose to eat.
And of course all those carbs turn into sugar once digested.

And while many 'lurk' on forums, the real benefits come from taking part, and now you've dipped a toe in,.. Getting more involved just got a whole lot easier...;)

Reactions: jjraak