Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I live on he north coast of my country.
I never call them baps, and wasn't sure what that meant when I fist heard the word.
Haha, I first encountered the word last week, watching The Great British Bake-off. And as they had to make the baps it was clear what it meant :)
Am I the only one who loves watching those people bake all kinds of stuff I can't really eat? (I mean, I could eat a little of it, but not really without a hassle)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that baps was only a term used in my neck of the woods (area where I live )
We had a friend who was a refugee from an African country and I used to tease him that I would charge him £5 for every word or phrase that I explained to him. It's amazing how much I would have made although his English was excellent we talk different up ere !
Carol

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that I was past getting upset about what people say about my diabetes but a kindly ! acquaintance pointed out that another acquaintance had lowered her diabetes to non diabetic levels This lady has lost over 2stone .If I lost this amount of weight I would be 4stone !!!:arghh:
Carol

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many ways to describe a bread roll
Teacake
Barmcake
Bap
Oven bottom cake
Probably many others these are Northern ones
Carol

I think I had some idea of what a bap was from the context of a book I was reading that mentioned them. I have never heard "barmcake" 'til now, or "oven bottom cake." To me, a bread roll is a yeast roll of just about any shape, including a "cloverleaf roll" and what we called "pillow rolls" when I was a child. I didn't know that a teacake was the same as a bread roll; I had thought of that as a sweet cake of some sort. Live and learn! :)

cloverleaf-dinner-rolls.jpg

Cloverleaf rolls

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You live and learn this may sound daft but I have only just cottoned on to what those little patches of material that sometimes come with new clothes , are actually for.

I sometimes buy shirts that come with an extra button.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live on he north coast of my country.

Haha, I first encountered the word last week, watching The Great British Bake-off. And as they had to make the baps it was clear what it meant :)
Am I the only one who loves watching those people bake all kinds of stuff I can't really eat? (I mean, I could eat a little of it, but not really without a hassle)

I have a friend who has T2 and loves watching that show. I used to love the Two Fat Ladies.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a friend who has T2 and loves watching that show. I used to love the Two Fat Ladies.
I watch it with 2 friends. We don't live very close to eachother so we watch at the same time and comment through Whatsapp :D

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A teacake is bread??? Wow. Your language is so strange.
A tea cake is bread with currants or sultanas in and toasted :hungry::hungry:. Although they are quite high carb I still indulge occasionally.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A teacake is bread??? Wow. Your language is so strange.
I thought that baps was only a term used in my neck of the woods (area where I live )
We had a friend who was a refugee from an African country and I used to tease him that I would charge him £5 for every word or phrase that I explained to him. It's amazing how much I would have made although his English was excellent we talk different up ere !
Carol

Cool -- another similarity between the north of England and the south of the US. And I'd thought "neck of the woods" was a purely Southern American expression! But then, considering where so many Southern Americans came from ... :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In Wigan it was Smack barm pea wet sounds awful but tastes OK grandson was always asking for it when we went to the chip shop.

And of course round here Nottinghamshire you call a bread roll a cob..

Btw those little bits of material are't for patching tears they are testers you put them in the washing to tell how the material stands up to washing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And of course round here Nottinghamshire you call a bread roll a cob..

Yes ... up 'ere a cob is crusty round bread, often served with soup (and a small horse!). Not served with a small horse, that is. A small horse is also a cob.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I watch it with 2 friends. We don't live very close to eachother so we watch at the same time and comment through Whatsapp :D

I used to watch the Winter Olympics and the Westminster Dog Show that way with a friend. Long before the days of Whatsapp (what is that, anyway?) we would watch and talk on the phone. Since we both had call waiting we didn't worry about tying up the phone line. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes ... up 'ere a cob is crusty round bread, often served with soup (and a small horse!). Not served with a small horse, that is. A small horse is also a cob.

Just to add another complication ... in the US, "cob" re horses is only a size of bridle slightly smaller than a regular-size bridle.

I would actually enjoy a lunch/dinner/supper/brunch of soup with a cob and a horse. ;)
horse-dining-.jpg

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Teacake in my neck of the woods is a plain bread soft roll that makes a bacon butty .Not to be confused with a currant tea cake that comes toasted .!
Carol

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scones are either plain or with sultanas and are eaten cold with lots of jam and clotted cream

A friend and I once found a recipe for scones in a British cookbook. We followed it to the letter, made the scones, put them into the oven ... got them out ... only to see ...

Biscuits! Good old southern USA biscuits. ;) :D

Walnut-And-Orange-Scones-Thumbnail.jpg

Scones

Homemade-Buttermilk-Biscuits-5.jpg

Biscuits