1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetics R Us

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by archersuz, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Nah they’re definitely scones!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Buttermilk Biscuits
    [​IMG]

Angel Biscuits
    [​IMG] (I know, I can't tell the difference either. ;) )

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Will post my next batch of biscuits. School don't want any thing other than cakes made without nuts so...... More of 'us' I told the kids. I won't be buying any charity raising cakes either. I've donated perfect uniforms and expensive toys for their nursery and for their BHF recycle bin.
    McMillian charity are losing out from my low carb cakes/biscuits. Old junior school took my sugar free jam tarts and raised money. This stale school with new headmistress is blind to diabetics and disabled access on first impression. I will donate my knowledge... me thinks!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Bye the way in old middle English cob meant spider derived from coppe.
    Hence the term cobwebs.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SaskiaKC

I had heard about "cob" but never about "coppe." Thank you for posting that info. :)

On a different note ...

Lots of ruffled feathers here on DCUK today, and new-if-not-true colors appearing from behind privacy coverings. I hate this for our lovely community, and the pain that has been caused, exacerbated by some trying to explain why they were hurt, only to be attacked for feeling hurt in the first place.

Are humans really all wolves in sheep's clothing, so quick to bare our fangs at the slightest provocation -- no, the slightest irritation?

I got mentally battered while out grocery shopping yesterday and came home feeling glad it wasn't a bodily battering, yet sad that I had to feel glad about something no one should ever have to suffer in any place that isn't a marked war zone. Then I came here to this place of refuge only to find we had been attacked from without and were starting to attack each other from within. I feel like retreating from the fray, but I know that if I were to do so I would only be attacked further for overreacting, indeed, I already have been.

I wish I had enough sense to just give up on humans in general. But, being a human myself, I keep seeking human companionship. Can't help myself.

After all, God destroyed the Tower of Babel for a reason, and changed our one language to many. I think He was wise in not giving His other creatures words.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JohnEGreen

On a cheerier note had a bit of news from my grandson Keiran yesterday, he has just started back at university prior to the actual start of lectures and such they had a sort of networking seminar for the economics students and professors and representative from various organisations such as banks and whatnot he thought it was quite good and maybe useful but did not get overly exited.

Yesterday he was contacted by a someone from the Office of National Statistics asking if he would be interested in working for them part time while completing his degree, brilliant, they had noted when looking at his work his flair for statistics

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. JohnEGreen

To be honest it has all gone above my head had no idea this was happening hope things settle down, for most people here things are bad enough in the real world and do not deserve more pain when here trying to escape it and find support and solace.

Hugs to them all.

Or did you mean the other place I am a member there as well but rarely post in their forum.

Or is it the Duck community to which you are referring sorry I do get confused with all these similar but different acronyms at times

#4687 JohnEGreen, Sep 23, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Shamelessly copying this from the T1 thread, as it makes me so happy and I want to share :)
    (And sorry mods, I know copying posts isn't approved of. But they're deeply buried in pages 235 and 1168 of long-running chat threads so I hope no-one will notice or take offence...)

Freshly smoked pork belly cubes on my veggies tonight, a smoked mackerel salad, the smoked goose breast is already long gone, and likely more pork belly and mackerel as a midnight snack.
    I am so lucky with my neighbour!

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. SaskiaKC

Oh, wow, @Antje77 you sound just like my cousin. He loves smoking meats, especially at Thanksgiving. His father was my mother's brother. Their mother was the first child of her generation born in the US. Her parents were both born and raised in the Netherlands. Hmmm ... now I must text my cousin to tell him that smoking meats must be in his DNA. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I must admit I actively dislike smoked meats and fish. I can't even eat smoked bacon.

I have been more or less absent from this forum for a while, so missed the thread that upset @SaskiaKC

Well done to your grandson @JohnEGreen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. SaskiaKC

Wonderful news! Congratulations to you both! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. SaskiaKC

I'm glad to see you back here, Bluetit. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. SaskiaKC

I am feeling all battered and bruised tonight. Late last night I learned that the son of a friend of mine died suddenly. He was barely 50. My friend has not been well this year and I only hope she will be able to travel to be with her son's family. I have to go looking for a sympathy card and I have absolutely no idea what to write in it. I can't even begin to imagine the horror to her and the family, all so close to each other. There are no words that could do.
    I have done nothing all day but watch TV and do online research about moving and shipping costs. Pure escapism. My KittenCat has been, as always, a wonderful companion, always by my side (when not in my lap).
    ^. .^

• Hug Hug x 4
  14. JohnEGreen

@SaskiaKC Sorry to read your bad news so sorry for yours and your friends loss having lost a good friend and also a neighbour recently I know how upsetting it can be big hugs to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. SaskiaKC

16. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I always find the best thing to write in a sympathy card in those circumstances is to write as little as possible. I usually just say "thinking of you" or "all my thoughts are with you in this very difficult time" or similar. What did you put in the end?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just write what you feel. That there are no words that could do, and you have no clue what to say, but you still wanted to write to them.

I was 20 when my mother died in an accident at 44 and I got lots of cards with things like that and they all helped a little.
    Even the ones with inapproriate texts, like the ones referring to seeing her again in the afterlife (she was not religious) or the very bad little poems (she loved poetry but not the popular feel-good meme like rhymes) helped, as it was clear they came from wanting to give a bit of support.

So it's impossible to do it wrong, it's the writing that counts and everyone knows how hard it is to find the right words in horrible situations like this.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. SaskiaKC

Thank you. That sounds like very good advice. I haven't sent it yet, waiting for the time when my friend may be back at her home from her trip to see her son's family. I will go shopping for a card later today.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SaskiaKC

Thank you. I am very sorry to learn about your mother.
    Y'all have given me some useful things to think about when I get the card.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. SaskiaKC

I wonder if the word "copped" as in caught, especially by coppers, has anything to do with being caught in a coppe web?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook