Positivity

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Going through a spell of hating this disease and in need of some positivity. I know we all go through the lows of it but most days we just get up and get on with it....whats the alternative?

I consider myself a pragmatic person who tries to take each day with as much positivity as I can....but I cannot muster any joy at the moment. Im bitter about having the restrictions of this condition and jealous of people who have their full health. I don't want to end up being swallowed by such negativity. Any advice on how to get past the lowness?

Sorry for moaning!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lynz84 I know it's tough, we all get it, you do literally have to fight the urge to stop it from taking over your thoughts at times, I try to remember that I will feel differently tomorrow and to accept whatever is getting me down then move on.

Also distraction techniques when it's taking over your mind, so go for a walk, change of scene, read a book, go for a run. Sometimes a jolt can help alleviate the way your thinking.

Don't let it win though, your stronger than this gal x

Reactions: Lynz84

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Lynz84 Don't apologize for moaning about being type 1. It sucks and is a right royal PITA.
After 48 years I still scream every now and again at everything that is related to my diabetes and the problems it has caused me. BUT I will NOT let it beat me, I think of all the things I have done and am going to do in the future.
You are going to beat this. Stay strong AND moan as much as you want on here

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I'm 57 and I guess I'm glad/lucky that I still don't have any (too) horrible diabetic complications. And I still feel paranoid every time I sleep on my hand and it tingles in the morning.

But, I have a lot of same age friends who are starting to get random age related complications (cancer, rheumatoid arthritis etc). And they have no control over their illness at all, other than working through a series of drugs with increasingly unpleasant side effects that their doctors prescribe.

And with diabetes: my doctor makes suggestions, and I listen, but it's up to me to actually control the illness. And it's my decisions, not my doctor's, that ultimately deal with the illness. And it's total **** (insert swearword of choice), and at least once a week I curse waking with a blood sugar that's 10 higher than I want, but I try to remember that diabetics have been living to old age for much longer than I've been alive and modern treatment is awesome (eyes, cgms) and really modern diabetics are in a much better position than our predecessors.

So curse, bemoan and otherwise hate this disease (and I hate hypos with an utter an extreme loathing) and sometimes it will be unutterably depressing, but remember that
1) insulin is your friend, the only problem is that it has side effects when overdone. (But it's something produced naturally by most people's bodies so it's actually good for you, rather than drug treatments for other illnesses which are more dubious.)
2) if you ever want to have a whinge then there are loads of folk on here who can empathise.
3) your doctor is your adviser not your ruler, and you have much more freedom to manage this illness than others do.
4) You may have to make some compromises, but there are very few things that you can't do with T1. (Astronaut is out).

Lots of virtual hugs.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I embrace the negativity, rant, rave and kick a few things but always awake the following day with the mantra it is a new day. I never look back, because you cannot change it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I often joke around on another thread about throwing diabetes in a bin bag and setting it on fire, would you like me to throw your diabetes in the bin too? :)
Have you considered asking your GP to see a therapist about it? Sometimes blood glucose readings does have an impact on food, so take it easy and be kind to yourself. I sigh everyday, rant with my bf, treat my blood glucose, crawl back into bed and chill. But that’s me, I would ask you to do something you enjoy, catch some sun, reading, music? :) sending you a huge hug!

Reactions: EllieM and Lynz84

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try and surround my self with people who are positive, negativity breeds negativity. Now when I hear people complaining or being negative about the smallest of things (or thinking they can't achieve things) it really does wind me up and I can't stand the presence.

Being part of communities like this and Phil Graham's Diabetic Muscle and Fitness group I can see how much people with diabetes have achieved, those who had much less in ways of treatments and technology over the years and it really spurs me on. Since surrounding myself with people of this attitude, honestly I've gone from strength to strength and feel the best I have ever felt.

Now there are still days when diabetes has a mind of its own, but these are odd occasions and in the grand scheme of it are like a drop in the ocean. I do what is in my control to be the best I can, and try not to let what is out of my control, control me. Everyone goes through phases of ups and downs, that's part of life, whether diabetic or not. Its how we manage and come through these that makes us the people we are.

If you ever feel low feel free to reach out.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys so much for ur replies!!! Has perked me up no end! It's so nice to know that everyone goes through these times as well. X

Hi @Lynz84 , rant away thats what we are here for. We all have days when we hate being type 1 but we just grit our teeth and get on with it. There is no alternative

Come and join us on the Type 1 Stars R us topic on this forum. Its a great friendly and helpful forum with always someone to see you through the day. Dont worry we talk about all sorts on there, dogs, cake, gardening cooking, family, normal day to day stuff. We all have a life outside being diabetic

Dont forget you are not alone, we ALL go through exactly what you are going through, even after 40--50 of being type 1

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aw guys honestly you are all so kind and thoughtful!! Today was definitely a better day. Sometimes being the only diabetic I know can be so isolating and bless my family and friends they do try, but its nice to kno that others do get it! Thank you xxxxxxxx

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find that at some point with Diabetes you do get frustrated, annoyed, overwhelmed and downright angry that it isn't doing as you want it too. But it is just about the only condition that YOUR actions has a dramatic effect on You control it not the other way around, this was the advice given to me by an old Consultant. Over the years I have threatened to throw everything in the bin and no longer be diabetic and just get on with my life come what may, in my 24yrs since diagnosis I have achieved a lot, done a lot, even won British titles in powerlifting but I truly believe I would have done none of it without diabetes, without the determination to get a handle on it and keep control of it. It gives you a sense of drive, stubbornness, determination and will to succeed because if you don't, the alternative can be terrible, but you do need to be able to rant, rave and kick the bin over!! On this forum you aren't alone as we have all been feeling not so positive, but others on here can and will lift you up, as we are all Diabetics.

Take care

Reactions: porl69 and Lynz84

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, T1’s a relentless, wretched, backside busting load. No holidays, no escape. Having written that I wonder how I’ve come to survive for 70 decades, just about 50 decades with T1, and had some very good times along the way. In my memory (yes, it still works well) the black moods that T1 can engender are fewer than the rosy parts.
I find a bout of rage venting, all known swear words and some invented ones included, helps to lighten the burden.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
LOL thank you. The invented swear words definitely help lol
Yes, T1’s a relentless, wretched, backside busting load. No holidays, no escape. Having written that I wonder how I’ve come to survive for 70 decades, just about 50 decades with T1, and had some very good times along the way. In my memory (yes, it still works well) the black moods that T1 can engender are fewer than the rosy parts.
I find a bout of rage venting, all known swear words and some invented ones included, helps to lighten the burden.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
LOL thank you. The invented swear words definitely help lol
My husband’s invention of Bellybumdrawers is currently my favourite. For everything and anything.