BEER

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
hi can someone tell me what impact beer has on a type 2 diabetics sugar levels please?
I’ve been told it’s good for us but I’m not convinced
Thanks
Becky

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @bexter75 Beer can be high carb so would increase your glucose levels, ideal to avoid, I prefer a glass of red wine as that has no impact on my levels.

Reactions: jjraak

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Alcohol can temporary reduce BG as our liver is too busy get rid of the toxins to pump out glucose.
However, beer contains carbs so can push your BG up.

And we are all different so what has a big impact for one guy has little impact for someone else.

The best idea is to find out what impact it has for you - test your BG, drink some beer and test again after a couple of hours.

If your BG rises too much, you could have a look at some low carb beers.
Thank you

M

Member496333

Due to my relative inability to gain weight, and therefore having a propensity to become insulin resistant at the drop of a hat, I personally choose to abstain from alcohol entirely, due to its effect on the liver.

But that is just my choice, and as far as beer in general goes, plenty of T2 enjoy a pint or two from time to time. Regarding immediate impact on blood glucose concentration, I always found distilled spirits or red wine to be the least troublesome.

Reactions: jjraak

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Due to my relative inability to gain weight, and therefore having a propensity to become insulin resistant at the drop of a hat, I personally choose to abstain from alcohol entirely, due to its effect on the liver.

But that is just my choice, and as far as beer in general goes, plenty of T2 enjoy a pint or two from time to time. Regarding immediate impact on blood glucose concentration, I always found distilled spirits or red wine to be the least troublesome.
Thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a 500ml can of beer every weekday evening, Greene King Abbott is my current favourite. It seems an excellent use of about 15g of carbs out of my daily total of around 75g. One slice of supermarket white bread is a similar amount of carbs but comes without the pleasure so no competition really.

Reactions: RGJ1970

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 500ml can of beer every weekday evening, Greene King Abbott is my current favourite. It seems an excellent use of about 15g of carbs out of my daily total of around 75g. One slice of supermarket white bread is a similar amount of carbs but comes without the pleasure so no competition really.

Cheers Mr Pot. x

D

Deleted member 308541

Lovely graphics in that carbs in alcohol site.

I wonder how many carbs are in some of those other articles...
0y4h3.gif

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They don't call beer Liquid Bread for nothing. ;)

Uh. Never heard that in my 52 years on this planet, so guess I’m not listening to whoever “they” is.

Regardless, to the OP, not sure any alcohol is good for us, the question is more, how bad is it? I like a good ale, but it does push my BG up before it declines. My BG curve is less dramatic with wine. My motto is make it a count regardless, so no watered down light beers for me. Just my .02.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You gotta get out more :) VERY common expression

M

Member496333

Both 'liquid bread' and 'wheat belly' are pretty common expressions. Particularly in the T2DM world.

Reactions: bexter75

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have the occaisional beer or three ,ghostship, sometimes coors light..definitly makes my fasting blood sugars lower . ( i guess this is a false reading?) normally about 5.1.. just lately theyve been in the early sixes when ive been a good boy..and back to mid fives during the day...

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi can someone tell me what impact beer has on a type 2 diabetics sugar levels please?
I’ve been told it’s good for us but I’m not convinced
Thanks
Becky

For me beer sends my BG through the roof - a few beers before bed and I'm looking at 14's in the morning. Spirits and diet mixers don't affect me, but sometimes I just want an ice cold beer. Also the problem with JD & coke or G&T is that it's too easy to drink and I end up drinking a lot. Currently I'm drinking no alcohol and feel way better for it. Diet Lilt is my friend!

Edit: Since I stopped beer 2 weeks ago, I'm 6lbs down.... that's enough to focus me.