Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm in the higher protein group....

M

Member496333

To my mind, ketogenic eating is any regimen which results in nutritional ketosis. Nutritional ketosis is a metabolic pathway, not a list of foods or an approved menu. A ketogenic 'diet' can range from low-carb junk food to high fat carnivore and anywhere in between.

EDIT: minor correction to the article - to my knowledge glucagon is a hormone made by the pancreatic alpha cells. In turn stimulating the liver into reconverting glycogen back into glucose to be sent out into the bloodstream. Glucagon isn't released by the liver?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

I'm in the higher protein group....

I tend to lean more toward fat, as a general rule. Protein has to be converted into glucose if it is to be combusted as fuel, so I personally prefer, as much as reasonably possible, to use it mostly for maintenance and repair. Those who eat higher protein keto generally tend to run a little bit higher on glucose and lower on ketones than they otherwise might. That's fine of course if that is what suits them as an individual, but it certainly illustrates that there is no ketogenic "diet" per se. In my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Robbity

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
To my mind, ketogenic eating is any regimen which results in nutritional ketosis. Nutritional ketosis is a metabolic pathway, not a list of foods or an approved menu. A ketogenic 'diet' can range from low-carb junk food to high fat carnivore and anywhere in between.

EDIT: minor correction to the article - to my knowledge glucagon is a hormone made by the pancreatic alpha cells. In turn stimulating the liver into reconverting glycogen back into glucose to be sent out into the bloodstream. Glucagon isn't released by the liver?

Agreed, Glucagon is produced by the pancreas.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: LooperCat