1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keto v Bernstein

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by LooperCat, Sep 21, 2019.

1. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I'm in the higher protein group....

3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To my mind, ketogenic eating is any regimen which results in nutritional ketosis. Nutritional ketosis is a metabolic pathway, not a list of foods or an approved menu. A ketogenic 'diet' can range from low-carb junk food to high fat carnivore and anywhere in between.

EDIT: minor correction to the article - to my knowledge glucagon is a hormone made by the pancreatic alpha cells. In turn stimulating the liver into reconverting glycogen back into glucose to be sent out into the bloodstream. Glucagon isn't released by the liver?

#3 Jim Lahey, Sep 21, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tend to lean more toward fat, as a general rule. Protein has to be converted into glucose if it is to be combusted as fuel, so I personally prefer, as much as reasonably possible, to use it mostly for maintenance and repair. Those who eat higher protein keto generally tend to run a little bit higher on glucose and lower on ketones than they otherwise might. That's fine of course if that is what suits them as an individual, but it certainly illustrates that there is no ketogenic "diet" per se. In my opinion anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Agreed, Glucagon is produced by the pancreas.

6. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

Thanks for posting this @Mel dCP
    It is great to see this described and explained from the perspective of someone with type 1.
    With people with type 1 being in the minority, the focus of low carb discussions is usually on type 2 and apparent avoidance of carbs at all costs.
    Worryingly, I have read posts from people with type 1 asking how to overcome a hypo without eating carbs!

This paragraph covers this brilliantly
    If you have Type 1 diabetes you simply cannot be concerned with achieving or maintaining nutritional ketosis because of the risk of hypoglycemia. Even a well-controlled person with T1D will occasionally need to consume sugar in order to raise his or her blood sugar. You just cannot turn down a potentially life-saving glucose tab, juice box or Skittle out of concerns that you might get knocked out of ketosis.​

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the useful link. Up to now I thought the two were the same. Interesting about the goals. My goal is the best glucose level control without hypos or hypers and not ketosis.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook