Type 2 Gravy

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
From the veg you listed there, some would consider the carrots a bit carb heavy, but they're fine for me. For me. Each one of us has to set our own personal limits, which means what's works for one, won't for another.

We all have to find our own balance between eating for functional nutrition and full on hedonistic eating. For me, I need to enjoy my food. Aside from anything else we eat at the table 3 times a day, so I don't want to be sitting scowling at my food. We also want to be eating pretty much eating the same meal. MrB might have more carbs, and I'll likely have more veg, but the same meal.

Keep testing, but for these first few weeks without meds, set your upper target just a little higher, as your body adjusts. Our bodies do work miracles, but some are just not exactly instant.

Test, test, test.

Thank you

Just a quickie. So busy planning meal I forgot I needed meat. Don’t fancy chicken or beef so though I could do casserole but stick in pork chops to cook at same time (instead of chunks of pork). Would that work?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you

Just a quickie. So busy planning meal I forgot I needed meat. Don’t fancy chicken or beef so though I could do casserole but stick in pork chops to cook at same time (instead of chunks of pork). Would that work?
I'm sure it would.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
From the veg you listed there, some would consider the carrots a bit carb heavy, but they're fine for me. For me. Each one of us has to set our own personal limits, which means what's works for one, won't for another.

We all have to find our own balance between eating for functional nutrition and full on hedonistic eating. For me, I need to enjoy my food. Aside from anything else we eat at the table 3 times a day, so I don't want to be sitting scowling at my food. We also want to be eating pretty much eating the same meal. MrB might have more carbs, and I'll likely have more veg, but the same meal.

Keep testing, but for these first few weeks without meds, set your upper target just a little higher, as your body adjusts. Our bodies do work miracles, but some are just not exactly instant.

Test, test, test.

Thank you

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you

Sorry @Cana - I thought I had replied to this. I'm pretty sure it's work. We'll sometimes fancy the falours of a dish, but not the suggested meat in the recipe, so just free-style it.

My OH describes a recipe as a list of suggestions.

When is your cauldron due to arrive?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sorry @Cana - I thought I had replied to this. I'm pretty sure it's work. We'll sometimes fancy the falours of a dish, but not the suggested meat in the recipe, so just free-style it.

My OH describes a recipe as a list of suggestions.

When is your cauldron due to arrive?

It came today!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It came today!!

Ooooer. You need to do the water test, then dive into using it.

When my first one came, I think Amazon had run out of appropriately sized boxes. The outer packaging stood up as tall as my waist height. My OH just exclaimed, "What the heck (insert other words there) have you bought?"

If we'd had small children in our lives they would have loved that box!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Ooooer. You need to do the water test, then dive into using it.

When my first one came, I think Amazon had run out of appropriately sized boxes. The outer packaging stood up as tall as my waist height. My OH just exclaimed, "What the heck (insert other words there) have you bought?"

If we'd had small children in our lives they would have loved that box!

Sane here! Got fright if my life when I got home. Thought what ruddy size is it!!

I’ve ordered ingredients fir meal tomorrow and your paste thing.

Also got home tonight and made burgers and aubergine pizza slices.

I’m tired like a normal person but my body feels great!!

My mood swings hopefully feel like they have subsided as well. The constant overthinking and then bursting into tears over the slightest thing made me think I was going crazy!!

I’m quite looking forward to doing this food this weekend!!
IMG_0540.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sane here! Got fright if my life when I got home. Thought what ruddy size is it!!

I’ve ordered ingredients fir meal tomorrow and your paste thing.

Also got home tonight and made burgers and aubergine pizza slices.

I’m tired like a normal person but my body feels great!!

My mood swings hopefully feel like they have subsided as well. The constant overthinking and then bursting into tears over the slightest thing made me think I was going crazy!!

I’m quite looking forward to doing this food this weekend!! View attachment 35774
Yes, it's bonkers, the packaging, but at least it's cardboard.

Just take it steady and you'll soon be winging it with the rest of us.

Honestly though, the Facebook group is worth it. My foodie groups are pretty much all I use Facebook for

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Roasting a chicken and pouring off the juices to cover the green veg tastes great, especially if you can find one that still has giblets - these just get boiled in a little water while the meat cooks and then boil down the liquid.
I rarely cook a whole chicken now, but always boiled the bones once I'd removed the meat - about 2 hours with an onion makes great stock. Boil it down till thick and freeze in an icecube tray.
Oxtail makes a very tasty gravy, it is expensive now but even a small piece will add flavour to a beef stew.
Also rinse the pan you cook bacon in with a little hot water and store that in the fridge to add to pork juices or for meatballs.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’ve got my veg fir the stock and currently doing it.

But I was thinking of using my new lovely friend the instant pot to make a gravy overnight in slow cooker.

Using mushrooms garlic onions leeks etc maybe some carrots I could let them cook really slow overnight then blend them in the morning and that would make a nice gravy.

Do you think that would work?

I also have arrowroot etc to help thicken but thought the flavour would be there

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve got my veg fir the stock and currently doing it.

But I was thinking of using my new lovely friend the instant pot to make a gravy overnight in slow cooker.

Using mushrooms garlic onions leeks etc maybe some carrots I could let them cook really slow overnight then blend them in the morning and that would make a nice gravy.

Do you think that would work?

I also have arrowroot etc to help thicken but thought the flavour would be there

Do you mean in slow cooker mode, or are you thinking you'd do a short while on pressure cook, then leave on keep warm?

I can't honestly say I've ever done standalone (as opposed to as a component of a dish) gravy in the cauldron before, so couldn't guess.

I don't know which online sites you use for LC recipes (aside from the LCP), but ditchthecarbs.com, twosleevers.com, and mheartbeets.com all use the IP - not for all of their recipes, and for the latter 2, not all recipes are LC.

However, if you see, or think of, something you fancy, just google "Instant pot low carb whatever". I'm always astonished by what comes up.

DO you use anything like copymethat or paprika to save your recipes? I find that so much easier than trying to remember where I found something I might want to try later.

If you've joined the FB group, there's always someone there who'll help, and lots of inventive cooks too.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Do you mean in slow cooker mode, or are you thinking you'd do a short while on pressure cook, then leave on keep warm?

I can't honestly say I've ever done standalone (as opposed to as a component of a dish) gravy in the cauldron before, so couldn't guess.

I don't know which online sites you use for LC recipes (aside from the LCP), but ditchthecarbs.com, twosleevers.com, and mheartbeets.com all use the IP - not for all of their recipes, and for the latter 2, not all recipes are LC.

However, if you see, or think of, something you fancy, just google "Instant pot low carb whatever". I'm always astonished by what comes up.

DO you use anything like copymethat or paprika to save your recipes? I find that so much easier than trying to remember where I found something I might want to try later.

If you've joined the FB group, there's always someone there who'll help, and lots of inventive cooks too.

I was thinking of in slow mode. So literally put stuff in and then leave it to cook till morning then can whizz it all up and then use fir my casserole tomorrow

I think I’ve joined the instant pot group. There were soo many

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I joined instant pot uk community

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of in slow mode. So literally put stuff in and then leave it to cook till morning then can whizz it all up and then use fir my casserole tomorrow

I think I’ve joined the instant pot group. There were soo many

I know. Facebook can be so bewildering, and really I dislike it, but there are some useful elements.

This is the official IP UK group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotUKCommunity/ , and this one is good too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/646449308790102/

Unless you want to find yourself buying lots of other gadgets you never knew you "needed", pass this one by!: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1325267087490376/ I know this, because as a dyed in the wool gadget gurl, I new have several more "things". Although to be fair, it's a great resource if you're looking to buy a gadget. Somebody there will have it already.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I know. Facebook can be so bewildering, and really I dislike it, but there are some useful elements.

This is the official IP UK group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotUKCommunity/ , and this one is good too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/646449308790102/

Unless you want to find yourself buying lots of other gadgets you never knew you "needed", pass this one by!: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1325267087490376/ I know this, because as a dyed in the wool gadget gurl, I new have several more "things". Although to be fair, it's a great resource if you're looking to buy a gadget. Somebody there will have it already.

Thanks I’m pretty sure that’s the one.

My logic (which isn’t always logical) is that if it cooks nice and slowly fir several hours it will be nice and flavoursome and rich!
It could of course be a complete failure

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I’m pretty sure that’s the one.

My logic (which isn’t always logical) is that if it cooks nice and slowly fir several hours it will be nice and flavoursome and rich!
It could of course be a complete failure

I'm not an expert by any means, but I sort of look on the IP as a fast slow cooker. I'm continually astonished by how quickly some things become packed with flavour, but have a go with your method. It's good to experiment.

Edited to add, please use the higher temperature setting on the slow cook mode. Many people find the low (slow cooker) mode to be very low indeed. As I said, I haven't every used the slow cooker mode.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I'm not an expert by any means, but I sort of look on the IP as a fast slow cooker. I'm continually astonished by how quickly some things become packed with flavour, but have a go with your method. It's good to experiment.

Edited to add, please use the higher temperature setting on the slow cook mode. Many people find the low (slow cooker) mode to be very low indeed. As I said, I haven't every used the slow cooker mode.

Thanks. If I’m
Doing overnight I’ll probably do the lower setting just to make sure it doesn’t burn over 8 hours etc.

Reactions: DCUKMod

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Made gravy although once whizzed in blender it was more like a soup. Very bitty. But hoping with extra juice from addd veg and meat then it will be less bitty, it was a nice thickness just bit too much like soup. But as long as it’s edible it’s fine. Added the pork chops and some sausages and some butter and carrots and celeriac thinly sliced.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made gravy although once whizzed in blender it was more like a soup. Very bitty. But hoping with extra juice from addd veg and meat then it will be less bitty, it was a nice thickness just bit too much like soup. But as long as it’s edible it’s fine. Added the pork chops and some sausages and some butter and carrots and celeriac thinly sliced.

Keep experimenting. You'll get there.

In my time with the cauldron (and cooking in other ways), I've had some great successes, but also meals where my OH has commented something like,... ".... that was interesting. Do you mind if we leave it a while until we have it again." Of course that really means he doesn't want it again, ever!.

Hey ho.

You'll get there.Have a look around for a couple of recipes you fancy, or cook a chicken (don't expect crispy skin, as it's a wet cooking method), then lob the bones and carcass back in to make stock and then soup.

I, and several others have what I refer to as a "bone bag", which is just that. I save the meat bones, in the freezer as we go along, then make soup.

I'll also quite often cook a gammon hock, then shred the meat and eat some of it, but lob a load back in, with some veggies to make a spectacular soup. It's never the same twice, as it's literally a fridge clear soup. Whatever veg bits are left over just go in.

Reactions: woollygal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I think this was a success. Have far too much liquid for contents so think I’ll drain a lot off and freeze. Actually quite tasty. Only problem is I have no idea on carb content. Don’t think it’s too much because the arrowroot was shared and the veg was shared. I’ve tested and already but high at 9.4.
I had the 90 sec bread and it was bit too eggy. Think I’ll have to work on that. Didn’t really need it and had a bed of cabbage which wasn’t really needed so could have dropped that

Ill have to add photo from phone I can’t work out how to do it here