1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Gravy

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by woollygal, Sep 16, 2019.

1. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you

Just a quickie. So busy planning meal I forgot I needed meat. Don’t fancy chicken or beef so though I could do casserole but stick in pork chops to cook at same time (instead of chunks of pork). Would that work?

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm sure it would.

3. woollygal

Thank you

Just a quickie. So busy planning meal I forgot I needed meat. Don’t fancy chicken or beef so though I could do casserole but stick in pork chops to cook at same time (instead of chunks of pork). Would that work?

• Like Like x 1
  4. DCUKMod

Sorry @Cana - I thought I had replied to this. I'm pretty sure it's work. We'll sometimes fancy the falours of a dish, but not the suggested meat in the recipe, so just free-style it.

My OH describes a recipe as a list of suggestions.

When is your cauldron due to arrive?

5. woollygal

It came today!!

6. DCUKMod

Ooooer. You need to do the water test, then dive into using it.

When my first one came, I think Amazon had run out of appropriately sized boxes. The outer packaging stood up as tall as my waist height. My OH just exclaimed, "What the heck (insert other words there) have you bought?"

If we'd had small children in our lives they would have loved that box!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. woollygal

Sane here! Got fright if my life when I got home. Thought what ruddy size is it!!

I’ve ordered ingredients fir meal tomorrow and your paste thing.

Also got home tonight and made burgers and aubergine pizza slices.

I’m tired like a normal person but my body feels great!!

My mood swings hopefully feel like they have subsided as well. The constant overthinking and then bursting into tears over the slightest thing made me think I was going crazy!!

I’m quite looking forward to doing this food this weekend!! IMG_0540.jpg

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. DCUKMod

Yes, it's bonkers, the packaging, but at least it's cardboard.

Just take it steady and you'll soon be winging it with the rest of us.

Honestly though, the Facebook group is worth it. My foodie groups are pretty much all I use Facebook for

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Roasting a chicken and pouring off the juices to cover the green veg tastes great, especially if you can find one that still has giblets - these just get boiled in a little water while the meat cooks and then boil down the liquid.
    I rarely cook a whole chicken now, but always boiled the bones once I'd removed the meat - about 2 hours with an onion makes great stock. Boil it down till thick and freeze in an icecube tray.
    Oxtail makes a very tasty gravy, it is expensive now but even a small piece will add flavour to a beef stew.
    Also rinse the pan you cook bacon in with a little hot water and store that in the fridge to add to pork juices or for meatballs.

10. woollygal

I’ve got my veg fir the stock and currently doing it.

But I was thinking of using my new lovely friend the instant pot to make a gravy overnight in slow cooker.

Using mushrooms garlic onions leeks etc maybe some carrots I could let them cook really slow overnight then blend them in the morning and that would make a nice gravy.

Do you think that would work?

I also have arrowroot etc to help thicken but thought the flavour would be there

11. DCUKMod

Do you mean in slow cooker mode, or are you thinking you'd do a short while on pressure cook, then leave on keep warm?

I can't honestly say I've ever done standalone (as opposed to as a component of a dish) gravy in the cauldron before, so couldn't guess.

I don't know which online sites you use for LC recipes (aside from the LCP), but ditchthecarbs.com, twosleevers.com, and mheartbeets.com all use the IP - not for all of their recipes, and for the latter 2, not all recipes are LC.

However, if you see, or think of, something you fancy, just google "Instant pot low carb whatever". I'm always astonished by what comes up.

DO you use anything like copymethat or paprika to save your recipes? I find that so much easier than trying to remember where I found something I might want to try later.

If you've joined the FB group, there's always someone there who'll help, and lots of inventive cooks too.

12. woollygal

I was thinking of in slow mode. So literally put stuff in and then leave it to cook till morning then can whizz it all up and then use fir my casserole tomorrow

I think I’ve joined the instant pot group. There were soo many

13. woollygal

I joined instant pot uk community

14. DCUKMod

I know. Facebook can be so bewildering, and really I dislike it, but there are some useful elements.

This is the official IP UK group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotUKCommunity/ , and this one is good too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/646449308790102/

Unless you want to find yourself buying lots of other gadgets you never knew you "needed", pass this one by!: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1325267087490376/ I know this, because as a dyed in the wool gadget gurl, I new have several more "things". Although to be fair, it's a great resource if you're looking to buy a gadget. Somebody there will have it already.

15. woollygal

Thanks I’m pretty sure that’s the one.

My logic (which isn’t always logical) is that if it cooks nice and slowly fir several hours it will be nice and flavoursome and rich!
    It could of course be a complete failure

16. DCUKMod

I'm not an expert by any means, but I sort of look on the IP as a fast slow cooker. I'm continually astonished by how quickly some things become packed with flavour, but have a go with your method. It's good to experiment.

Edited to add, please use the higher temperature setting on the slow cook mode. Many people find the low (slow cooker) mode to be very low indeed. As I said, I haven't every used the slow cooker mode.

17. woollygal

Thanks. If I’m
    Doing overnight I’ll probably do the lower setting just to make sure it doesn’t burn over 8 hours etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. woollygal

Made gravy although once whizzed in blender it was more like a soup. Very bitty. But hoping with extra juice from addd veg and meat then it will be less bitty, it was a nice thickness just bit too much like soup. But as long as it’s edible it’s fine. Added the pork chops and some sausages and some butter and carrots and celeriac thinly sliced.

19. DCUKMod

Keep experimenting. You'll get there.

In my time with the cauldron (and cooking in other ways), I've had some great successes, but also meals where my OH has commented something like,... ".... that was interesting. Do you mind if we leave it a while until we have it again." Of course that really means he doesn't want it again, ever!.

Hey ho.

You'll get there.Have a look around for a couple of recipes you fancy, or cook a chicken (don't expect crispy skin, as it's a wet cooking method), then lob the bones and carcass back in to make stock and then soup.

I, and several others have what I refer to as a "bone bag", which is just that. I save the meat bones, in the freezer as we go along, then make soup.

I'll also quite often cook a gammon hock, then shred the meat and eat some of it, but lob a load back in, with some veggies to make a spectacular soup. It's never the same twice, as it's literally a fridge clear soup. Whatever veg bits are left over just go in.

• Like Like x 1
  20. woollygal

So I think this was a success. Have far too much liquid for contents so think I’ll drain a lot off and freeze. Actually quite tasty. Only problem is I have no idea on carb content. Don’t think it’s too much because the arrowroot was shared and the veg was shared. I’ve tested and already but high at 9.4.
    I had the 90 sec bread and it was bit too eggy. Think I’ll have to work on that. Didn’t really need it and had a bed of cabbage which wasn’t really needed so could have dropped that

Ill have to add photo from phone I can’t work out how to do it here

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook