Type 2 Gravy

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So it’s getting cooler and I’m thinking ahead for casseroles. My favourite is sausage and it’s made using skinless tomatoes, very thinly sliced potatoes with sausage balls and gravy.
Obviously have to get rid of potatoes but what can I do to get a nice gravy.
I usually use bisto granules.

I love this casserole so want to continue having it but not with all the carbs

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never have gravy except the thin one coming from meat juices and fat with water, but have you tried googling low carb gravy? You might find something to your liking.
Of course, if you have already done that and are looking for the best experience of forum members, please forget what I said!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana do you ever cook meat where a lot of the juices come out? If you store those (I find they freeze well) you can use them as a gravy with other meals. You could blend with the skinless tomatoes to make it thick with a casserole.

Editing to add a link to this thread

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-you-thicken-stews-please.160118/

I do with beef burgers etc but not really. Although I guess eating low carb now that may change. I’ve always thrown it out as greasy but that isn’t the case now.
I’ll have to start cooking so I can freeze it.

Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you blitz a cauliflower, then add that to your casserole, just a little while before it's ready, that'll thicken it up. Alternatively, just reduce it down to evaporate off some liquid.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I never have gravy except the thin one coming from meat juices and fat with water, but have you tried googling low carb gravy? You might find something to your liking.
Of course, if you have already done that and are looking for the best experience of forum members, please forget what I said!

No I hadn’t googled. Didn’t think if it sorry.

But also because you guys are so knowledgable. It’s safer than me googling and getting it wrong

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - when I started using our electric pressure cookers (Yes, I confess, we have two now), I always ended up with dishes that were too watery. It's surprising how much liquid met and veg can liberate in cooking.

How do you cook your casserole; in the oven, slow cooker or pressure cooker?

Reactions: woollygal

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No I hadn’t googled. Didn’t think if it sorry.

But also because you guys are so knowledgable. It’s safer than me googling and getting it wrong
Don't be sorry, I just mentioned it to give you even more information if you hadn't thought of it :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana - when I started using our electric pressure cookers (Yes, I confess, we have two now), I always ended up with dishes that were too watery. It's surprising how much liquid met and veg can liberate in cooking.

How do you cook your casserole; in the oven, slow cooker or pressure cooker?

Just in oven.
Basically everything goes in and just add bistro and a Knorr stock pot. Then just cook.

Tried it last year without the potatoes and it was nice, missed the potatoes but I loved them so thin. But it is what it is. But I did keep going high because I think if the gravy.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check the carbs in the sausages you use. Some sausages are remarkably high as a rusk filler is used.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in oven.
Basically everything goes in and just add bistro and a Knorr stock pot. Then just cook.

Tried it last year without the potatoes and it was nice, missed the potatoes but I loved them so thin. But it is what it is. But I did keep going high because I think if the gravy.

Several use celeriac instead of potatoes, and it's not a bad sub. Same for radishes, although they're a bit small to fool the eye, if they fool the tongue

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I often use arrowroot as a thickener for gravy 2 tablespoons would be about 2 rams of carb but I don't always use that much.

Burgers I like to cook with a creamy tomato sauce I normally cook the burgers in a frying pan or skillet in a little olive oil or butter mix double cream in a bowl with tomato puree then add that to the skillet the fats from the burgers mix in with it stir it about then when the burgers done plate the burgers and spoon the gravy/sauce over them.

I actually served this up to a non diabetic person once and was astounded to see him actually lick the plate clean maybe not the best table manners but quite gratifying.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a slow cooker or pressure cooker, @Cana ? I love the lob in in and leave it aspects of both cooking methods, meaning I can contentedly prep before getting on with my day/afternoon, or whatever, then getting on with things.

I imagine slow cooking would really work with your work routines, whereby an hour here or there matters not a jot.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Do you have a slow cooker or pressure cooker, @Cana ? I love the lob in in and leave it aspects of both cooking methods, meaning I can contentedly prep before getting on with my day/afternoon, or whatever, then getting on with things.

I imagine slow cooking would really work with your work routines, whereby an hour here or there matters not a jot.

I have slow cooker and use a lot in winter. But I need a rethink. All of my recipes for these are gravy based

Hotpepper20000

I have slow cooker and use a lot in winter. But I need a rethink. All of my recipes for these are gravy based
The great thing about a slow cooker is that it’s no necessary make gravy.
I find the cheapest beef or lamb roast and put it on top a sliced onion. Sprinkle with some grill seasoning and put it on low. Between the onion and meat there is enough sauce on the bottom.
I take out the meat and blend up the onions a meat juice and there’s your “gravy”

Reactions: NorfolkNic

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as cauliflower to thicken meat juices here’s xanthum gum (got mine in Sainsbury’s in the free from section). In curries I use a little coconut or almond flour as the flavours don’t clash and it’s not too many carbs.

In place of potatoes I sometimes use just a few turnips. Though root veg they are still much lower than potatoes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m with celeriac, turnips or swede as a sub for potato.

And as for gravy, make yourself up a pan of a thick homemade soup.
I would caramelise some onion and garlic then add stock, and lots of veg - mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, cauliflower, celeriac... even bacon :) when they are all simmered to softness, take a hand blender and liquidise the lot.

You are looking for a texture that matches your ideal gravy, so you may need to experiment with the proportion of stock to veg.
Get it right and you have no need to thicken, just use instead of gravy when cooking.

You can freeze it in portions and drop one portion into the slow cooker with the other ingredients, when you start it in the morning. It will melt quickly and moisten the other ingredients as they cook.

Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
These all sound delicious thank you.

One more thing. Dumplings.

Any idea how to do dumplings without suet (assuming that is carb ridden) and flour