Is control easier with insulin?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe it’s “resorting” to insulin because it is a more heavy duty drug in regards to the effect it has on a person, the higher burden of self care required, the potential and severity of errors, in a type 2 the potential for simultaneously helping and hindering glucose management and insulin resistance, side effects such as weight gain. Long term complications are not necessarily lower despite improved glucose levels, possibly due to the continued existence of hyperinsulimea.

There are many other approaches including other medications and combinations out there too. Many of these medicines will share some of the drawbacks listed above. Now obviously these will not suit everyone for a wide variety of reasons from side effects to life choices.

Any choices, made knowledgeably, should totally be respected. Any made in ignorance deserve education.

For some genuine type 2 (I deliberately exclude other types along with those others misdiagnosed as type 2 when they arent) it is the best or only option having considered the alternatives. But there is no getting away from the fact it is widely seen as the ultimate and end of the line medication treatment for diabetes. In common language this is a position often termed “resorted” to. That is not the same as demonisation.
Thanks

It is terms like “resorted” meaning “the last resort”? ‘End up on” “progressed onto” are what I Am referingg to as demonised, sorry if I used the wrong word, the dictionary.com definition below makes me feel justified in feeling I used the correct term.

It matters not a jot, I was just expressing an opinion, on how it makes me feel, happy to be mistaken, as always I said something wrong that opened up a reason to be disagreed with, heyho

verb
past tense: demonised; past participle: demonised
  1. portray as wicked and threatening.
    "he was demonized by the press"

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
resort is not a pejorative word:

resort
/rɪˈzɔːt/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: resorting
  1. 1.
    turn to and adopt (a course of action, especially an extreme or undesirable one) so as to resolve a difficult situation.
    "the duke was prepared to resort to force if negotiation failed"
    synonyms: have recourse to, fall back on, turn to, look to, make use of, use, utilize, avail oneself of, employ, bring into play/service, press into service, call on; More
For t2's, insulin is our last and biggest medication for treatment. Resorting to it is a good use of the word, as its usually the last choice our medical people offer us, when all else has been tried. It is not a negative word, its a descriptive word.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I see Type 2 people post on here that they are now on insulin, I see a lot of support for them. The general public i am around appear to think every type of diabetic is already on insulin anyway. I have not seen people on here demonise those who need to use insulin to control their diabetes, of any type. If you do see such unkindness, please let a Mod know, and they will deal with it. Such behaviour is not tolerated here.

I do see encouragement to have a re-think about diet for those who are new and not come across any dietary ways of helping their blood sugar levels, but thats a different focus, and not unkind. The intent is to educate and support any possible changes the person may not have been aware of.

Reactions: kokhongw

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
When I see Type 2 people post on here that they are now on insulin, I see a lot of support for them. The general public i am around appear to think every type of diabetic is already on insulin anyway. I have not seen people on here demonise those who need to use insulin to control their diabetes, of any type. If you do see such unkindness, please let a Mod know, and they will deal with it. Such behaviour is not tolerated here.

I do see encouragement to have a re-think about diet for those who are new and not come across any dietary ways of helping their blood sugar levels, but thats a different focus, and not unkind. The intent is to educate and support any possible changes the person may not have been aware of.
Ok thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't see that word as demonising. It reflects my own frustration with my own body, unable to sort itself out.

For some time I have battled to work out what's going on with my body's temperature regulation. I never feel too hot. I can't think of the last time I perspired - ene in temperatures verging on 40c a couple of months ago, but I am very often cold. Indeed, when

Please don't see that word as demonising. It simply isn't. In the context utilised, it simply means it wouldn't be my preferred option. No more. No less.

Reactions: lucylocket61

HarryJJohnson

Is insulin really only used as a last resort in type 2?

Ive had trouble with control since diagnosis, only with being on the high side really. I had my testing strips taken off my prescription months ago as I dont qualify for them being a type 2. So nowadays I test very rarely with the remaining strips I have left. I knew something was wrong just now so tested for a result of 29.9 mmol.

I currently take Janumet twice a day along with 2 gliclazide twice a day. Just wondering if the tablet options are running out, or if they have more up their sleeves? Sometimes I think itd be easier being on insulin as in this situation I could quickly bring it down.

If you are on Gliclazide your entitled to test strips, I am on Metformin, Gliclazide and insulin and it has reduced my blood count in half, before it was totally out of control but since going on to insulin as well my blood sugar has normalised

Last edited by a moderator:

db270

I knew something was wrong just now so tested for a result of 29.9 mmol.

Irrespective of whether you need to take insulin long term or not, you really need to go the emergency room & get your levels down to manageable. That reading is very, very dangerous.

For the rest of your question, I was on Metformin, Gliclazide & Teneligliplin but my control was terrible. With insulin, I find it very easy to have very good control.

With your sugar levels being at 29.9, you will probably find it very difficult with meds in the long term & may need to shift to insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Irrespective of whether you need to take insulin long term or not, you really need to go the emergency room & get your levels down to manageable. That reading is very, very dangerous.

For the rest of your question, I was on Metformin, Gliclazide & Teneligliplin but my control was terrible. With insulin, I find it very easy to have very good control.

With your sugar levels being at 29.9, you will probably find it very difficult with meds in the long term & may need to shift to insulin.

Not necessarily. It depends very much, for many people, what else they do alongside or instead of the meds. Eating shed loads of carbs is always going to lead to higher and higher numbers for a type 2 that wouldn’t happen otherwise. Medication for a type 2 still producing, what is likely to be an excess of, insulin is never going to solve the issue alone.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi db, I think this post is 14 weeks old.