Type 2 Morning blood sugar

Butterfly02

Hi.

I'm a 17-year-old female with a healthy weight for my age and height, but I'm not that active and rather sedentary and I honestly don't eat that well either. Both of my parents are T2 diabetics and as far as I know, I'm not diabetic. I use their blood sugar meter as they don't use it (they're not fussed with checking their blood, and when they do, it's normal) and we have gotten more strips after a month of not having them, so I decided to check my blood sugar.

Yesterday, 2-hours post-meal, it was 6.2, which I believe is normal for a non-diabetic.

But this morning after 10+ hours of not eating my blood sugar was 5.4 (apparently, 5.5 is the cut-off for within normal range?) so I decided to check once more to be sure and it read 5.7 which worried me. So, I washed my hands in warm water and checked several times again on different fingers and different hands squeezing only very lightly, and I got 4.8, 5.5, 5.0, and 5.2.

I'm not asking anyone to try and diagnose me, just looking for some advice, really. Would you say my blood sugar readings are normal for a non-diabetic? All readings aside from the 5.7 and 5.5 are normal from what I know. Am I pre-diabetic? Borderline pre-diabetic? Do non-diabetics blood fluctuate, as well? Would stress affect my readings? (while I'm not a diagnosed diabetic, I'm diagnosed with general anxiety and am admittedly a hypochondriac)

To be fair, the last thing I ate last night was chocolate (around 8 PM) and I went to sleep at around 11 PM and checked my blood at 7 AM) so could it be because of that?

I've had some breakfast and I'm going to check again 2 hours after, and I'm waiting 8 hours before I eat again to check once more. I would really appreciate some advice.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I'm a 17-year-old female with a healthy weight for my age and height, but I'm not that active and rather sedentary and I honestly don't eat that well either. Both of my parents are T2 diabetics and as far as I know, I'm not diabetic. I use their blood sugar meter as they don't use it (they're not fussed with checking their blood, and when they do, it's normal) and we have gotten more strips after a month of not having them, so I decided to check my blood sugar.

Yesterday, 2-hours post-meal, it was 6.2, which I believe is normal for a non-diabetic.

But this morning after 10+ hours of not eating my blood sugar was 5.4 (apparently, 5.5 is the cut-off for within normal range?) so I decided to check once more to be sure and it read 5.7 which worried me. So, I washed my hands in warm water and checked several times again on different fingers and different hands squeezing only very lightly, and I got 4.8, 5.5, 5.0, and 5.2.

I'm not asking anyone to try and diagnose me, just looking for some advice, really. Would you say my blood sugar readings are normal for a non-diabetic? All readings aside from the 5.7 and 5.5 are normal from what I know. Am I pre-diabetic? Borderline pre-diabetic? Do non-diabetics blood fluctuate, as well? Would stress affect my readings? (while I'm not a diagnosed diabetic, I'm diagnosed with general anxiety and am admittedly a hypochondriac)

To be fair, the last thing I ate last night was chocolate (around 8 PM) and I went to sleep at around 11 PM and checked my blood at 7 AM) so could it be because of that?

I've had some breakfast and I'm going to check again 2 hours after, and I'm waiting 8 hours before I eat again to check once more. I would really appreciate some advice.
Everyone's bloodsugar fluctuates. Would be weird if it didn't, as you put stuff in (or your liver does. You either eat something with carbs that turn to bloodsugars, or your liver dumps some in the morning to give you energy to get you started), and you then proceed to burn it off. So it's a bit of an ebb and flood throughout the day, for everyone. It's when your body can't process the carbs anymore, either due to an autoimmune issue (T1) or insensitivity to ones own insulin (T2, though there's a bunch of other types, those two are the most well known ones), that you need a little help. Either through medication/insulin or a diet change, depending on what type you are.... But right now you're looking good. If you're really worried, forget fasting blood glucose, and go for before a meal, and 2 hours after the first bite. That'll tell you whether your body's still doing what it's supposed to. And if you remain worried, or the results are off, go to the doc and ask for a HbA1c.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Butterfly02

Butterfly02

Thanks for the replies. I tend to worry when there's no need to. Although, regardless of the result, I will begin eating healthily and exercise as I used to. :)

Reactions: SimonCrox

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I tend to worry when there's no need to. Although, regardless of the result, I will begin eating healthily and exercise as I used to. :)
Eating healthily is always a good idea. And with your family's history, going moderately low carb as a preventative measure might make you feel a little more secure too, maybe?

Butterfly02

@JoKalsbeek Sorry, I don't know how to quote. I cut (most) refined grains from my diet a couple of months ago. I only eat wholemeal bread, rice, cereal and oatmeal etc. but I'll try my best to lower my carb intake and fill up on protein and fresh vegetables and fruit.

I checked my blood sugar again after my breakfast and it was 5.3, then 5.1 (from the same finger prick), and that seems normal. I'll see how everything is at the end of the week and if I'm still concerned I'll get in touch with my doctor. :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi.

Hi Butterfly02,
I'm pleased to see that you have already been reassured about the BG levels you got when testing.
Because you don't get much exercise you might want to take a look at this video (you need to watch it nearly all the way through to see the part that applies to young slim females who don't exercise):

The good thing is that testing before and then 2hrs after a meal will show if this 'Glucose Spike' issue is a problem for you or not.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek Sorry, I don't know how to quote. I cut (most) refined grains from my diet a couple of months ago. I only eat wholemeal bread, rice, cereal and oatmeal etc. but I'll try my best to lower my carb intake and fill up on protein and fresh vegetables and fruit.

I checked my blood sugar again after my breakfast and it was 5.3, then 5.1 (from the same finger prick), and that seems normal. I'll see how everything is at the end of the week and if I'm still concerned I'll get in touch with my doctor. :)
I'm sure you're perfectly alright. Kicking refined sugars to the curb is good, and yeah.... If you feel anxious still, talk to your doc. He/she'll probably say the same thing (you're fine), but if it puts your mind at ease it would be worth the trip.

Butterfly02

Hi Butterfly02,
I'm pleased to see that you have already been reassured about the BG levels you got when testing.
Because you don't get much exercise you might want to take a look at this video (you need to watch it nearly all the way through to see the part that applies to young slim females who don't exercise):

The good thing is that testing before and then 2hrs after a meal will show if this 'Glucose Spike' issue is a problem for you or not.

Thank you, that video is very informative. I regularly check my blood sugar 2 hours post-meal and it's never been higher than normal, I believe. I've exercised today and I'll hopefully manage to do this daily. Thanks for all the help you guys have been.