Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like Hypafix film. (I think it's the same as Tegaderm) I use a roll of 10mX10cm and cut 10X10 squares. Sometimes it keeps the whole 2 weeks and I only have to trim the edges, sometimes it needs a new one halfway through. If so, I don't bother with peeling off the old one, I just trim the edges and put the new over the old.

Sounds similar to what I do with Opsite Flexifix. Even do the 10x10. Put a square of lint under as due to swimming always change at the half way point.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good morning everyone!
I hope you're all well.

@helensaramay I hope the Software doesn't frustrate you too much!
@MeiChanski Enjoy the training :)

Can anyone (or everyone lol) tell me what they use to keep their gadgets attached to them for the required length of time please?

My very first Libre came off after just 6 days, in all honesty this was partly my fault as I did knock it once. But even before the knock I could see it had lost it's sticking power on one side.
Now my 2nd sensor is at risk of coming away. For the past 3 days I have had a huge adhesive plaster covering it so it doesn't come off.
I've still got 7 days with this sensor & I was hoping there wold be some amazing answers/tips/products to assist me in securing it better going forward. :D
Skin Tac wipes before you stick your gadget on - https://amzn.to/2sOdUK3 - I don’t put anything on top unless I’m doing something where I think it might get knocked - like ziplining or being in the front row of a rock gig :D

Reactions: SueJB

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
greetings fellow pumpers and prickers, hope you are all doing well.

Had a scary overnight hypo about 3 am this morning, luckily enough my body seems to know when i go low and I wake up, My Libre said 2.9 but i felt considerably worse. Finger check ooooops 2.4. Couple of jelly babies to get me going, down for a coffee and sugar but felt even lower. Gulped my coffee down with numerous spoonfuls of sugar and feeling soo low, i notice a chocolate caramel slice, so that was scoffed as well.

paying for it this morning though, with a BG on waking at 14.7, although now back to a manageable 6.2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to the Dr. and I can pick up some naproxen and tramadol. Hopefully those will make the pain a bit more bearable.

And @Robinredbreast , your humming tip was really useful when I woke up tonight from the pain :) !

Reactions: Robinredbreast

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like Hypafix film. (I think it's the same as Tegaderm) I use a roll of 10mX10cm and cut 10X10 squares. Sometimes it keeps the whole 2 weeks and I only have to trim the edges, sometimes it needs a new one halfway through. If so, I don't bother with peeling off the old one, I just trim the edges and put the new over the old.

Sounds similar to what I do with Opsite Flexifix. Even do the 10x10. Put a square of lint under as due to swimming always change at the half way point.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Spoke to the Dr. and I can pick up some naproxen and tramadol. Hopefully those will make the pain a bit more bearable.

And @Robinredbreast , your humming tip was really useful when I woke up tonight from the pain :) !

Sending you get well wishes x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That too :D Perhaps @Jaylee can advise.

Strangely, I've not lost a Libre yet.. I just follow the destructions, but stick under arm. I get two alcahol wipes that come with the kit. (Presumably before & after removal?) however I use em both on application after a shower, making sure the area has dried.
Bang on the disc, check the edges are down & thassit!
I've caught it hedge trimming when I nearly fell in & rubbed it a few times on my car seat leaning back to grab something from the rear.. It's still here..
My current Libre runs out tomorrow & is still strongly fixed. Maybe a little black lint round the edges.

I did do a test a while back giving an expired sensor 3 extra days grace? It still took some ripping to get it off.
It could be possible my skin is just not that acidic? (Or something??)

Talking of rock & roll @Mel dCP , remember me mentioning spending my "retirement" time in a sound proofed booth a couple of months back?

Feel free to pogo to this murdered 1980's Classic...
This may help @Antje77 take her mind of the wrist woes too.. I happen to know @Juicyj likes a little rawk as well...
@Japes you might appreciate a bit of "angelic" choral singing too? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Japes

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @helensaramay without really know how couscous behaves I banked on the fatty lamb to slow things down and I did inject after I had eaten it and got it about right - I did dip a bit low whilst out with the dog sometime after, if I hadn't been out I think I'd have been spot on but the little extra exertion and IOB just dropped it a touch - will defo do it all again it was tasty!

Just been shortlisting job applicants, of the 28 received we ended up with just 2 :***: !

@smc4761 typical night time hypo response glad you've got it back under control - when will we ever learn not to eat the entire kitchen????...............it's not us that has to learn, it's the hypo monster that has to!

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast Makaton is used a lot in my workplace by about half of the students, and until this year I've predominantly worked with the non-Makaton users. However, we do all learn some, students and staff, so we can communicate better. We probably universally all use the 5 basic essential signs especially if we don't want to announce where we're going!!

Young Vampire and I just tap a finger (usually the ring finger on the non-dominant hand) a couple of times with our index or middle finger of our dominant hand and say "Bloods". We make a fist with our dominant hand and pretend we're injecting in the place of choice with no word usually for injection, but that's probably how it's evolved for Young Vampire. I'd be interested to know if there are any official signs!

Reactions: hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Ya girl finished early today, training induction went okay - a bit long for what it is tbh. It was quite worrying that the head chef didn't know any of the hygiene and food, health and safety answers. Fresh sensor applied and I was thinking about university all day and that I'm capped at 40% this year. I didn't give up on university, I kept that option opened in case college didn't go as planned, which didn't and jobs issues. I'm not being negative but realistic because achieving 80% overall to average out to a 2.1 is far too much for the final year. I'm willing to consider a MA degree if I can wing it for a 2.2 but I don't see that happening with my ability and I'm sure my parents won't be happy if they paid £15000 for me to come out with a third. It is possible if I did all my reading, prep work etc etc, but my downfall is exams and there is no room to fail.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Manfer87 I use Skin Tac on my Dexcom and it works great.

@slip I eat couscous off and on, I just dose as I normally do with everything else. Which for me is half a half hour before I eat and the other half when I eat. But I don't think I eat anything high fat with it? It runs about 36 carbs per cup of cooked.

@slip On the job applicants, 2 sound pretty good. Sometimes I would get over a hundred applications and only be interviewing 3 of them. Probably I would get so many because you didn't have to have any training or experience to apply. Amazing what people will put on applications without realizing what they are telling you!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will look in my Makaton signs core vocabulary pocket book :brb:

Injection sign - use dominant hand, thumb and index finger in line, open wide, then place on arm/leg ( looks like a large sideways V)
Blood - dominant hand moves down body from mouth, with other hand laid flat on heart area.

Reactions: Japes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone heard anything of WuTwo of late?

I know it was looking like life was heading into a difficult time for her. I hope she's OK.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Has anyone heard anything of WuTwo of late?

I know it was looking like life was heading into a difficult time for her. I hope she's OK.

I sent her a pm a few weeks ago, but, as far as I know, she hasn't been seen :(

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Snorkeling was easier than normal. I didn't drop as much as I usually do. I started out with an 8.5 and only decreased to a 7.5 and stayed there. I had to actually take some insulin to go back to normal.

I always reduce my basal and I start with being about 8.5 and drop to around a 6.0 to 7.0 when I get out of the water and then slowly continue to drop over the next few hours. So I usually have to make sure I eat something within an hour or two after because I can really drop a few hours later. So this was interesting to be so different. But it was a pretty easy snorkel, warmer waters and very calm.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I sent WuTwo a pm too and have not gotten a response to the latest one.The last time I had heard from her was when her FIL's outlook didn't look good. I have been worried too and hope she is doing okay and miss her.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our dear friend @WuTwo hasnt been around since her family needed her. We do incredibly miss her and I hope she’ll make a reappearance soon. Along with our friend @knikki and cake.