Libre Freestyle

HM

I am thinking of going on a pump, I saw my diabetes nurse at the hospital yesterday and she gave me a Libre Freestyle to have a go for two weeks. I have been waking up in the mornings with high glucose levels. This morning the libre showed that I had had a hypo at 4am. My nurse is now on holiday, do I decrease the amount of Human ! I have at night?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Did you check the Libre value against a finger prick? Libre’s Have a habit of showing hypos if you lie on them at night.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you check the Libre value against a finger prick? Libre’s Have a habit of showing hypos if you lie on them at night.

@Diakat That is good information to know!
I've had a couple of lows whilst being asleep .. .. Maybe I had just rolled over onto my Libre for a few minutes.

Reactions: Diakat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@helensaramay , awesome summary of the current state of play! :)

(The only addition I can think of is the 10-15 minute lag in the libre result as compared to a blood test :):):))

DaveSW5

Everyone using the Libre should be aware of the third party 'reader' add-ons that constantly read the sensor and transmit the result to your smart phone (non-LibreLink) app via bluetooth connection. I use the miaomiao reader and the free android app xDrip to display results and configure various high/low warnings and alarms - my phone wakes me if I'm going badly low but remains silent until I reach the threshold value that I have set. But you do need a little tech savvy since the android app isn't available from the Google playstore (cos it's 'medical' and Google require all kinds of indemnities which are far too expensive for the handful of geeks contributing to the app's development for community benefit) and likewise with the iPhone (which must be 'jaibroken' to permit non-AppStore software installations) counterpart app Spike.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Manfer87 to be honest, it makes me angry that these (expensive) tools are being handed out by the NHS and people are not trained how to use them.
Libre is an amazing piece of kit ... but only if you understand the limitation and know what to do with the data it provides.
Without providing training (which does not have to be very long or arduous), the NHS are throwing away money that they don't have or that they could be spending on someone who really needs it.

[Sorry, I just had to have a rant.]

@helensaramay I 100% agree with you.
I was given mine on the NHS & as pleased as I am to have gotten one, I felt a little left in the dark with regards to what to do with it.
Most of my information came from you lovely guys here in this forum & the rest from the Libre website/Google!
Some basic training/advice would have been really helpful.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Abbott do have some very basic training modules on the website. And offer webinars. Not sure if those are being flagged by the NHS now but they were when I had a Libre trial.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone using the Libre should be aware of the third party 'reader' add-ons that constantly read the sensor and transmit the result to your smart phone (non-LibreLink) app via bluetooth connection. I use the miaomiao reader and the free android app xDrip to display results and configure various high/low warnings and alarms - my phone wakes me if I'm going badly low but remains silent until I reach the threshold value that I have set. But you do need a little tech savvy since the android app isn't available from the Google playstore (cos it's 'medical' and Google require all kinds of indemnities which are far too expensive for the handful of geeks contributing to the app's development for community benefit) and likewise with the iPhone (which must be 'jaibroken' to permit non-AppStore software installations) counterpart app Spike.

@DaveSW5 this is incredible!!!

I had no idea about these add-ons that are available!
The Libre itself is a game changer, so having an add-on like this that will alert you of drops/spikes is a whole new level.

Shame I wouldn't say I'm all that tech savvy o_O:hilarious:

DaveSW5

@DaveSW5 this is incredible!!!

I had no idea about these add-ons that are available!
The Libre itself is a game changer, so having an add-on like this that will alert you of drops/spikes is a whole new level.

Shame I wouldn't say I'm all that tech savvy o_O:hilarious:
...if you use an android phone, only 'a little' tech savvy is required ... there are various threads on this forum for miaomiao and xDrip.