Support

MissF1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to this forum, been T1D since December 2003 and have generally always struggled with support from family/partners. Of all the things that get me down, this is the main one! Do I expect too much from people?

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to this forum, been T1D since December 2003 and have generally always struggled with support from family/partners. Of all the things that get me down, this is the main one! Do I expect too much from people?

Hi there.

It depends on the kind of support we expect.
Looking at this from a positive angle - at least you have identified the main thing
that gets you down. Next, to do something about it.

If you can be more specific as to how they have been unsupportive......

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Support for me personally comes in the form of understanding if I am not as energetic as usual etc....

Otherwise there is no support as such as all the daily tasks involved with my diabetes management are carried out by me....

its not unreasonable to expect support if you feel you need it, you might just need to break it down a little further for those in your life....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @MissF1972 :)

No it's not too much to ask, i'm a little like @novorapidboi26 so for me it's just them understanding if i've had a hypo that i'm not usually on form for a while afterwards or if it's bedtime and my bg levels are dropping then I have to wait until I feel safe before i'll go to bed. Generally though I don't need any support other than that, what I don't need though is to be told my bad mood must be down to my levels dropping, I might just be in a bad mood..:grumpy:

Mike Sixx

I think It might be difficult for them to understand and relate to your situation. Diabetes is so much more complex and difficult than anyone not dealing with it can understand. I sure did not. Many people think it as type of food allergy, like lactose intolerance. Except it messes up something in feet.
I have T2 and it is difficult for me to understand the hypo as I never experienced it. I can relate to the fear and the feeling of lost control on your own body.
I might be difficult for them to know how to support you, meaning how to show it to you. If for example you tell them about you medical problems, they do not know how to help you they are not medical experts in diabetes.

Tell them what you need and do not demand things that out of their reach. They can not tell you how to get better, I mean *** not even doctors specializing in DB can tell you that :). They can not promise everything will be ok, that would be a lie. But they can promise they will be there for you and care about you. But even that you should not demand from them. Tell them when you are feeling afraid, insecure and a little lonely. That they can help with.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
They won’t ever totally get it. But they can help.
And the forum is always here to listen when it gets too bad.

Reactions: michita